• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Spoiler:

Rating: 8.5/10
Comments: This map is very pretty and complex, and although I'm not a fan of the tiles I'd say it looks rather nice. I really like the placement of flowers and berries, not to mention the underground cliffage, however I will say the signs on the flood plain do look a little out of place. Overall, though, very nice work. :)

This is a new map I designed in Advance Map with my Ruby/FireRed/Emerald tileset hybrid in Emerald. It's called the Harlem Meadow and flows west to east, and along with the Canary Plateau it connects Damascus Cave to the Amalthea Jungle. I tried pulling off what was done in the Floaroma Meadow with the ledge creating a border and flowers as far as the eye can see. I know it's definitely not the best and could probably use some work, so I'm open to suggestions. :)

Spoiler:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Comments: This map is very pretty and complex, and although I'm not a fan of the tiles I'd say it looks rather nice. I really like the placement of flowers and berries, not to mention the underground cliffage, however I will say the signs on the flood plain do look a little out of place. Overall, though, very nice work. :)

This is a new map I designed in Advance Map with my Ruby/FireRed/Emerald tileset hybrid in Emerald. It's called the Harlem Meadow and flows west to east, and along with the Canary Plateau it connects Damascus Cave to the Amalthea Jungle. I tried pulling off what was done in the Floaroma Meadow with the ledge creating a border and flowers as far as the eye can see. I know it's definitely not the best and could probably use some work, so I'm open to suggestions. :)

Spoiler:

It looks like an okay map, nothing too special, but the flowers are just too much for me. Waay too many flowers, and I know that was the purpose but it's just an overkill.. Overall it's an okay map, I like what you did with the other tiles, the sand things, and that cave kinda reminds me of the Regi caves. I'll give it a 7/10, not bad :)

So, uh here's mine. It's a little unimportant town in the beggining of my hack.
Spoiler:

Credits to Femok from WAH for the tiles.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Map name: unamed
Map game: Firered (ProjectUnamed ROM base v2)
Comments: So I took Shinx's advice and made the paths a lot wider for the player to freely roam the map. The player enters the map from the lake to the right and follows the path up to the two roads in the top of the map (The two roads above lead to different places, they don't connect to each other). I tried combining both natural and gamefreak styles by keeping a straightforward route across the map while giving it a natural feel with the trees and mountains.
(note the petal leaves and small rocks in the grass can be walked/surfed through and the underwater cave entrances don't take you anywhere, they are only for decoration)
Map:
Spoiler:
The layout of the map is excellent, and I think the only real fault lies in the tileset. This is definitely a matter of opinion, but to me it looks like there's simply too much decoration, and it makes the map feel quite cluttered. The way the trees/mountain overlap also looks weird to me. It looks like they're phased into each other, and there's not actually enough space there for both of those things to be in the same spot.

The water also looks a bit cluttered, especially since you'll be surfing on top of it. I have a feeling that it will look weird, but I'm not actually sure. I'm just used to solid water like the original games though, so I dunno, just a thought I guess. It actually looks really pretty, but I'm just wondering what it will be like in game. Also, the lilypads, and especially the rocks being surfable seems like it would look pretty strange. lol

One minor thing that I don't really like is the stairs being so wide. Just a matter of personal taste, but I feel like it looks better if there's at least one tile of cliff on either side of the stairs.

I really like the size and shape of the paths, and it looks like the map would flow quite well. The grass is well placed (I'd maybe some of the grass areas a little bigger, but not a big deal.), and I think placing the jumpable cliff thingy there was a good idea.

Overall, I like it a lot, good job.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Personally I think the map should have a few changes. Everything in this map seems so randomly placed. I would suggest connecting the dirt tile and make a path leading to each house because most towns usually have some sort of pavement or small path that the player can walk through and not bump all over random trees and objects. also adding more trees is a good idea so you can fill in the map more. Just make sure to keep enough space for the player to walk around freely because having too much stuff in your map restricts your players movements.Overall I think it's an alright map, It's a good start.

Map name: unamed
Map game: Firered (ProjectUnamed ROM base v2)
Comments: So I took Shinx's advice and made the paths a lot wider for the player to freely roam the map. The player enters the map from the lake to the right and follows the path up to the two roads in the top of the map (The two roads above lead to different places, they don't connect to each other). I tried combining both natural and gamefreak styles by keeping a straightforward route across the map while giving it a natural feel with the trees and mountains.
(note the petal leaves and small rocks in the grass can be walked/surfed through and the underwater cave entrances don't take you anywhere, they are only for decoration)
Map:
Spoiler:
I'm glad you took on board my previous advice as it has definitely improved your map tenfold. In fact, I'd now say that your map is pretty much ready to go into a game. It's interesting and looks nice to play through. My only dislike is, as QualivaKing said, the unholy amount of vegetation about on the map. I've never understood these apples on trees in Pokémon maps and I never will, it really takes attention away from what is a beautiful map.

Years
Rating: 8 out of 10. It is simple. Not over the top. Looks nice in my opinion for a script event that will probably happen when you reach the top of the stairs.

Name: Cosmic Town
Game: Firered (Using Projectunamed rombase)
This is the starting map for my hack. Be as critical as you want. I think it looks nice, but I think I added to many flowers in some places or in wrong places.

CosmicTown_zps5cdf46cc.png

Spoiler:

CosmicBlazer: I am fond of the graphics, but everything seems too stretched apart, which is probably unneeded. Your little fence is messed up by the bottom left house, by the way. 2/5.

Alex: This map also feels too stretched out. The dirt patches are random, and I feel this could be designed way better. I like the flower meadow, though. 2/5.

- - - -

Here are some maps of my hack in-progress. :)

Town 1:
Spoiler:

(Ignore the ugly straight trees. They've already been fixed!)

Town 2:
Spoiler:

Route 135:
Spoiler:

Town 3:
Spoiler:

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
Here are some maps of my hack in-progress. :)

Town 1:
Spoiler:

(Ignore the ugly straight trees. They've already been fixed!)

Town 2:
Spoiler:

Route 135:
Spoiler:

Town 3:
Spoiler:

Rating: 7/10
Comments: Ok first off, I'm not fond of those trees. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I feel like they are not made to stand so close to each other if you know what I mean:P

Town 1 - I like how you've put the houses into the mountains. The mountains itself look naturally and good. I think the ledge between the two houses should be set up different. This way it doesn't has much use. Also personally I think grass is made for routes and not for towns. I don't even know if you can find Pokemon in it, but I would stick with the flowers.

Town 2 - I like the set-up, maybe broaden it a bit. Oh and I would move the signpost to the left because now it to close to de door.

Route 135 - This route is fine. Easy to figure out where you should be going and easy to remember for later times. For what I can see its the first route you will travel. Maybe it has to much options for a first route, but that depends on your story.

Town 3 - Why al those brown patches in the north? Will this be a berry town? In this town I would put some more life. Maybe just a house or a pond to make it seem more alive.

Name: - Kanton Town
Game - Pokemon Raw (work in progress)
Comments - All tiles will be replaced. This will be the starting town in the hack (not the starting point). I know about the brown grass, will be changed.

Spoiler:

Feel free to comment!

@crunch - Sorry wrong image. It is true its somewhat based on the island, but I think this map doesn't shows less resemblance as the other one. The stairs and mountain are for an event which happens in Town.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Comments: Ok first off, I'm not fond of those trees. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I feel like they are not made to stand so close to each other if you know what I mean:P

Town 1 - I like how you've put the houses into the mountains. The mountains itself look naturally and good. I think the ledge between the two houses should be set up different. This way it doesn't has much use. Also personally I think grass is made for routes and not for towns. I don't even know if you can find Pokemon in it, but I would stick with the flowers.

Town 2 - I like the set-up, maybe broaden it a bit. Oh and I would move the signpost to the left because now it to close to de door.

Route 135 - This route is fine. Easy to figure out where you should be going and easy to remember for later times. For what I can see its the first route you will travel. Maybe it has to much options for a first route, but that depends on your story.

Town 3 - Why al those brown patches in the north? Will this be a berry town? In this town I would put some more life. Maybe just a house or a pond to make it seem more alive.

Name: - Kanton Town
Game - Pokemon Raw (work in progress)
Comments - All tiles will be replaced. This will be the starting town in the hack (not the starting point).

Spoiler:

Feel free to comment!
First of all, I think you should come up with your own original map from scratch. What you have is clearly just a modified Four Island map - and it would show ingame. I can't give you a very detailed review as most of your map was made by gamefreak. There are a few spots there where I believe you've used incorrect tree shading, and you've also placed a lot of flowers and ignored using pretty much anything else to decorate. I think you should remove the random rocks from the beach (maybe place them on the mountain instead, which is looking rather bare), and i'm not sure why there are stairs on the mountain leading up to nowhere, even though the whole thing is inaccessible anyways, if that's going to be your starter town.

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
First of all, I think you should come up with your own original map from scratch. What you have is clearly just a modified Four Island map - and it would show ingame. I can't give you a very detailed review as most of your map was made by gamefreak. There are a few spots there where I believe you've used incorrect tree shading, and you've also placed a lot of flowers and ignored using pretty much anything else to decorate. I think you should remove the random rocks from the beach (maybe place them on the mountain instead, which is looking rather bare), and i'm not sure why there are stairs on the mountain leading up to nowhere, even though the whole thing is inaccessible anyways, if that's going to be your starter town.

Had the wrong image, changed it.

Years
Spoiler:

Feel free to comment!

@crunch - Sorry wrong image. It is true its somewhat based on the island, but I think this map doesn't shows less resemblance as the other one. The stairs and mountain are for an event which happens in Town.

Rating: 6.5/10

Comments:Overall I like the layout of the map, but theres room to improve on space consumption. Little asthetic features like small trees and rocks would do well. So yea, the main thing is its a bit barren in my eyes. Also, Im guessing you know the tile errors already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Snowstone
Game: Pokemon Glacial Eradication (Netis snowrombase with some custom inserted tiles by Alistair and Weasley FG)
Comments: This is the basic plan for my starting town of a hack im working on, thinking of adding lamp posts

Spoiler:

Also, heres a route:
Spoiler:

EDIT: Yes, I notice the tile errors, they have been fixed ( the tree and smaller trees)

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Name: Snowstone
Game: Pokemon Glacial Eradication (Netis snowrombase with some custom inserted tiles by Alistair and Weasley FG)
Comments: This is the basic plan for my starting town of a hack im working on, thinking of adding lamp posts

Spoiler:

Also, heres a route:
Spoiler:

EDIT: Yes, I notice the tile errors, they have been fixed ( the tree and smaller trees)

Snowstone:
Rating: 9/10
Comments: For Snowstone, I really have no comments for it. It's a pretty beautiful town and I'm jelly of your tiles. The only complaints that I have is that the snow path tile looks super pixelated and is actually kind of jarring.

The route:
Comments: I'd give this a higher rating, but for some reason, it feels empty. It's probably just me though. O_o Other than that, it's pretty cool...

Name: Windbreak Town
Game: Pokémon Pure Silver (Hack of FireRed)
Comments: First town of my hack. Not much else to say here. :P
Map:
Spoiler:

MUDKIPS4LIFE

Hack Player.
Years
Snowstone:
Name: Windbreak Town
Game: Pokémon Pure Silver (Hack of FireRed)
Comments: First town of my hack. Not much else to say here. :P
Map:
Spoiler:

I like the map, there a couple areas where the shadings a bit off, and some points of the map are a bit linear
8/10

Name: Anoyan Town
Game: I'll think of a name.... eventually XD
Base: Ruby
Comments: The bottom right's a bit linear because the player can't see it
Credits: Alistair & PHO - tiles
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 2, 2015
@MUDKIPS4LIFE
The town is quite nice,but the south part is a bit empty.Fill it with something.I don't have any other suggestions.Overall amaizing map.There are no tile errors and the tiles are also very good.

Now my map:
Name: Greenwood City
Game: Pokemon Adamant Blue
Base: Fire Red
Comments: The map is quite big,and it's hard to find all tile errors.I know that I left too much empty
space.
~I haven't mapped since 2010,so don't be too harsh.And sorry for the bad English.~

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
@MUDKIPS4LIFE
The town is quite nice,but the south part is a bit empty.Fill it with something.I don't have any other suggestions.Overall amaizing map.There are no tile errors and the tiles are also very good.

Now my map:
Name: Greenwood City
Game: Pokemon Adamant Blue
Comments: The map is quite big,and it's hard to find all tile errors.I know that I left too much empty
space.
~I haven't mapped since 2010,so don't be so harsh.And sorry for the bad English.~

Well the map looks pretty good, but I do see some flaws in it. One of them is a tile error near the game corner building, the other one is that the gym, pokemon center, and mart are too close. Not really an error, but in my opinion that just makes it look pretty bad. I think some people would disagree though. Something else is in the sand, it looks too plain, I would add a rock there or something, and there are too many one tile paths... but overall it's a great map and would be fun to play through, and if you want a number in your rating, then 8/10. Fixing those things would make it awesome, and a 10/10.

~~And my map~~
Name: Route 2
Game: Pokemon Fluorite
Comments: Credits to Wesley FG for the grass/tree tiles. And yeah I know about the error in the right side of the map, I already fixed it.

Spoiler:

Kenny1

On a break from Rom hacking, to improve other skil
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
~~And my map~~
Comments: Credits to Wesley FG for the grass/tree tiles. And yeah I know about the error in the right side of the map, I already fixed it.

Spoiler:

I give it a 9/10.
I like the tiles, I think you used them very well.
I think it is a good combination of nature, but keeping in mind that the player still has to be able to walk.
One of the things I don't like about it is that the building looks a bit long, and the tree's are a bit too aligned.

Here is my map:
Name: Route 1 (Not final)
Game: Pokemon Aura Adventures
Credits to Zeo for the tiles.
Spoiler:

emptyhead2110

I don't know what to put here
Years
Here is my map:
[Image]

I give the map an 8/10. The tiles and the coloring are soft on the eyes while still pretty to look at. The map is pretty linear, which is fine for a first route, and the route itself isn't too long.

Years
~~And my map~~

Spoiler:

First of all, I saw somebody say that the building is too elongated. That's not the case, since in-game you wouldn't see all of it. Anyways I give this map an 8/10. The layout is good, but you basically have three types of tiles: trees, grass, and flowers. There needs to be a bit more color variation, be it by other types of objects/scenery, or some pallet changes. Also, the grass being placed so randomly makes for no clear path to go by. Map is still alright, but fixing those would get you a 10

Kenny1 said:
Here is my map:
Spoiler:

WOW. This map is so simple, yet so pleasing to the eye with it's soft colors and smooth curves. 10/10! I hope you make it like X and Y where you can find Wild Pokemon in those flowers. Nothing a little behavior byte editing can't solve ;)

--------------

This is my map
Name: My spare-time map
Game: Fire Red
Credits: E.C for his amazing Rom base and all the tiles within it.
Just thought I'd make a nice little map. possibly a starting town. and yes, I know the pokecenter is messed up a bit, it didn't have the right bottom tiles in the tileset. I kind of went for a cobblestone effect in the middle, since it felt awkward to have nothing leading up to those stairs. I've never made a map before, so this will be interesting for you guys to see.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
This is my map
Name: My spare-time map
Game: Fire Red
Credits: E.C for his amazing Rom base and all the tiles within it.
Just thought I'd make a nice little map. possibly a starting town. and yes, I know the pokecenter is messed up a bit, it didn't have the right bottom tiles in the tileset. I kind of went for a cobblestone effect in the middle, since it felt awkward to have nothing leading up to those stairs. I've never made a map before, so this will be interesting for you guys to see.

Spoiler:
I really like this map... its beautiful... but I feel its a little small. Small is not bad, but there is nothing there and the player can enter/exit from all sides. it just strikes me as abnormal to give such freedom with no focal point in the town. no direction. visually 10/10 ... playability... 7/10

'------------------------
here is my map.
Name: AbandonedMine
Game: Fire Red +
Spoiler:

Its an entrance map to a large cave. you can go up or down leading to various events at different parts of the game. There will be trainers... but there are none now :(

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
'------------------------
here is my map.
Name: AbandonedMine
Game: Fire Red +
Spoiler:

Its an entrance map to a large cave. you can go up or down leading to various events at different parts of the game. There will be trainers... but there are none now :([/QUOTE]

Nothing much for me to say with my poor mapping skills. To me, it looks fine. It flows really nice so 10/10.

Name:None
Game: Firered (Neo FM Tiles rombase)
Just testing out the tiles in this rombase and trying to improve my mapping skills. Tell me some key points of what I need to do for routes.

Edit: The image didn't show up so I had an attachment linked as backup and the quote, I apparently messed up. Sorry

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Name:None
Game: Firered (Neo FM Tiles rombase)
Just testing out the tiles in this rombase and trying to improve my mapping skills. Tell me some key points of what I need to do for routes.

Edit: The image didn't show up so I had an attachment linked as backup and the quote, I apparently messed up. Sorry

6/10. I think it's good enough. The big mountain part is really empty, and the route itself is quite bland - just trees, grass, a pond and some boulders, which I can live with - but it would be nice to add color! The only real drawback is the big empty space at the corner.

Map Name: I call it Pinebreak Road. :3

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: I was in the mood, and it's been quite a while since I made a map from scratch. xD

Credits to E.C for the ROM base. Alistair, War8, Zein, Wesley FG, Trevor for the tiles.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2014
6/10. I think it's good enough. The big mountain part is really empty, and the route itself is quite bland - just trees, grass, a pond and some boulders, which I can live with - but it would be nice to add color! The only real drawback is the big empty space at the corner.

Map Name: I call it Pinebreak Road. :3

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: I was in the mood, and it's been quite a while since I made a map from scratch. xD

Credits to E.C for the ROM base. Alistair, War8, Zein, Wesley FG, Trevor for the tiles.

Spoiler:

To me, the top part looks a bit unnatural compared to the bottom part. The big trees above the small hill are clumped together in a blocky/rectangular shape. The design of the route looks nice, but I think you can add more variety to it and make it more detailed. I took a look at the map more closely and marked a few areas.

View attachment 72364
(click to make bigger)

Red Circle: I don't know how the small trees work in your game in terms of passage, but normally the main player is able to walk through the tops of small trees (with the tops of the trees overlapping the player). If it's like this, then the player can completely skip the cut tree that's right by that area.

Blue Circles: These are minor tile errors. (I can be a bit nit-picky when it comes to these :s) The top of the small tree seems to blur out the top border of the hill. Also, the bottom border of the small lake cuts too far left and right, making it look strange. I see no major tile errors though, which is great!

Yellow Circle (well, orange, because the yellow font is too bright): The ledge is just something I feel is out of place and seems unnecessary. I would take it out and replace it with wild grass instead.

If you fix only what I have circled off, I would give the map a 7/10. Decent, but it could definitely be better.

I would try changing the landscape up a bit, like making the mountain a bit bigger and making the hill less blocky. It depends on how natural you want the route to look. I suggest experimenting with different tiles as well. You're on your way to making a beauuuuutiful map. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back