• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hail team help

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
I'm making a team for 5th Gen hail, and I need help switching some pokemon, or their moves to cover more common pokemon, like Terrakion or Scizor.

Calm Abomasnow @Leftovers
252 HP, 84 SpDef, 172 Def
Leech Seed
Wood Hammer
Blizzard
Protect

Modest Kyurem @ Leftovers
252 SpAtk, 56 HP, 200 Spd
Blizzard
Focus Blast
Substitute
Dragon Pulse

Bold Walrein @Leftovers
252 HP, 136 Def, 120 SpDef
Protect
Substitute
Toxic
Blizzard

I am going to be recreating my team, so I'm basing it mostly on Abomasnow, Kyurem, and Walrein. I have access to Conkeldurr, Scizor, Terrakion, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Lapras, Glaceon, Chandelure, Ninetales, Haxorus and Dugtrio. I can get other pokemon, but I have easy access to these pokemon.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What are your Pokemon's EV spreads? Were you missing out on those?

For Tentacruel, Scald is a better option over Hydro Pump because its current set is a support set; Scald has utility in possibly burning opponents and Hydro Pump's low PP can easily be stalled out.

Also, Kyurem gained Earth Power to deal with Heatran more easily as well as Roost for recovery in B2/W2, so you can consider those moves.

If Abomasnow is using a Calm nature, Wood Hammer isn't advised because it runs off of the lowered Attack stat that Calm would have caused. Substitute is the best option in the last slot because it works well in tandem with Leech Seed. Leftovers should be the item to use.

HaxingBH

HaxingBH
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2012
MAMOSWINE!
SUPER POWA on Scizor.
Other than that, replace Walrein with something like Jirachi or Rotom.

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
What are your Pokemon's EV spreads? Were you missing out on those?

For Tentacruel, Scald is a better option over Hydro Pump because its current set is a support set; Scald has utility in possibly burning opponents and Hydro Pump's low PP can easily be stalled out.

Also, Kyurem gained Earth Power to deal with Heatran more easily as well as Roost for recovery in B2/W2, so you can consider those moves.

If Abomasnow is using a Calm nature, Wood Hammer isn't advised because it runs off of the lowered Attack stat that Calm would have caused. Substitute is the best option in the last slot because it works well in tandem with Leech Seed. Leftovers should be the item to use.

Okay, I fixed it. I added their EVs, and Tentacruel learned Scald. But I forgot about Abomasnow, I'll do that later. I dont have b2/w2 so I have no way of teaching Kyurem those moves.

MAMOSWINE!
SUPER POWA on Scizor.
Other than that, replace Walrein with something like Jirachi or Rotom.

I thought about Mamoswine, but I would have to teach him TM stealth rock on 4th Gen, but I can't do that. So I decided not to do that for now. Also, same deal with Scizor and Superpower, it's a tutor move on 4th gen (I believe). But Walrein is so good! You Toxic, then take small damage. Use Substitute, and if you lose it, who cares? You have Ice Body and Leftovers. After one protect, he's completely healed from substitute. If he still has his substitute, use blizzard. It's 100% accurate in hail.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Okay, I fixed it. I added their EVs, and Tentacruel learned Scald. But I forgot about Abomasnow, I'll do that later. I dont have b2/w2 so I have no way of teaching Kyurem those moves.

I thought about Mamoswine, but I would have to teach him TM stealth rock on 4th Gen, but I can't do that. So I decided not to do that for now. Also, same deal with Scizor and Superpower, it's a tutor move on 4th gen (I believe). But Walrein is so good! You Toxic, then take small damage. Use Substitute, and if you lose it, who cares? You have Ice Body and Leftovers. After one protect, he's completely healed from substitute. If he still has his substitute, use blizzard. It's 100% accurate in hail.

It could be better to wait till the games are released before implementing the B2/W2 changes.

Also, Stealth Rock is one of Mamoswine's B2/W2 tutors. The same applies to Superpower for Scizor.

And speaking of Scizor, its power isn't running at its fullest. The ideal spread to use here is 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe; that way, it has more power and bulk to be effective.

The EV spread that would be ideal for Walrein would be 232 HP/220 Def/36 Spe; that way, it has an easier time taking physical hits and outrunning 0 Speed neutral base 70s.

Also, making Tentacruel's EV spread 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe lets it outrun Adamant Breloom.

If Chandelure's Hidden Power type is Fighting, it's the better option over Energy Ball over Psychic because it hits Tyranitar, Hydreigon and Heatran hard.

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
It could be better to wait till the games are released before implementing the B2/W2 changes.

Also, Stealth Rock is one of Mamoswine's B2/W2 tutors. The same applies to Superpower for Scizor.

And speaking of Scizor, its power isn't running at its fullest. The ideal spread to use here is 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe; that way, it has more power and bulk to be effective.

The EV spread that would be ideal for Walrein would be 232 HP/220 Def/36 Spe; that way, it has an easier time taking physical hits and outrunning 0 Speed neutral base 70s.

Also, making Tentacruel's EV spread 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe lets it outrun Adamant Breloom.

If Chandelure's Hidden Power type is Fighting, it's the better option over Energy Ball over Psychic because it hits Tyranitar, Hydreigon and Heatran hard.

I really need B2/W2 then. Haha I could use the move tutor moves a ton. I did that EV spread for Scizor so I could outspeed other Scizors. I haven't EV trained Tentacruel or Walrein yet, so I'll do that for them. I have no idea what Chandelure's HP is, I should check it out (pokecheck)

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
I am going to be recreating my team, so I'm basing it mostly on Abomasnow, Kyurem, and Walrein. I have access to Conkeldurr, Scizor, Terrakion, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Lapras, Glaceon, Chandelure, Ninetales, Haxorus and Dugtrio. I can get other pokemon, but I have easy access to these pokemon.

Back