• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best... Mechanics?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
So, by mechanics, I mean the way that a video game plays. For example, in Mario, you're stomping on enemies, collecting powerups, and storming castles. In Zelda, you're slashing at enemies, solving puzzles, and beating through bosses with a certain strategy in dungeons. Some RPGs are good examples with games that have some mechanics. So, what sort of mechanics from video games did you like the most?

I personally enjoy the gaming mechanics from Tales of Graces - the combo system works well, and I do love the techniques brought from it! Sometimes I'm bad at it though... like, remembering to sidedash at the right timing, ugh. Nontheless! It's pretty fun to play. :3

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I very much enjoy the mechanics in Resident Evil 4. More often than not when you shoot an enemy in the leg they will fall to their knees or if you shoot them in the face they will cover their face in pain. When this happens a button appears on screen to let you know you can press it which will make your character punch, kick, or make another type of physical move that will further hurt the enemy. When they get knocked down by one of these moves they will stay on the ground for a few moments. During this time you can run up and knife them repeatedly until they stand up at which point you need to back up or they will grab you. Early in the game you can usually finish them off this way. For a survival horror game, these alternative methods of attacking are great considering the fact that ammo is scarce. (More so in older Resident Evil games, but still far less than other shooters).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I really liked the mechanics of Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, personally. You had a sword, which swing towards whatever direction you moved your WiiMote. If you swung the controller from left to right in a fast pace, then the sword would follow you and make some sort of a horizontal slash. If you did it slowly, then the sword would move slowly as well, and create a small scratch. Due to that, whenever I played Skyward Sword, I always felt as if I was actually in the game, and not someone who was just controlling the player from outside. xD" Also, I really like the games that allow you to alter certain events depending on your decisions. One of these would have to be WWE: SmackDown vs. RAW 2009, a wrestling game that was released approximately five years ago. Here, if I remember correctly, you once had to pick a side between Randy Orton (who was an antagonist) and Shawn Michales (a protagonist). If you went along with Randy, then you'd turn out to be the bad guy. If you chose Michales, then you would considered a good guy.

Years
Skyrim, for me, has the best mechanics and I know a lot of people would disagree with me about that. Many people say that the combat isn't the best and it has quite a few flaws but I enjoy the combat. I think it's the type of combat that a game should have. Plus, you can always get weapons made from different metals and have different enchantments on them, which affects the amount of damage done. I also enjoy the length of the combat (how long it takes to kill the enemy). I mentioned enchanting already, but alchemy is another great feature of the game, it adds more to the game and can be very useful. Generally, the attributes and skills that you can upgrade as a character has been done very well. I like how you can choose what skill to upgrade, and then choose a skill within the skill to suit your play style. I also very much enjoy the map, there is so much to explore and find on the map there is something to do all the time. The side quests also contribute to this, there are some side quests that can actually be of fair significance to the game and some are very fun and give you opportunities to do things in the game you wouldn't do yourself. I just enjoy the game in every way possible which is why it is one of my favorites up to date.

Years
My favourite mechanic is probably comedic skins. You can have a serious game, but I certainly enjoy running around in a sombrero. Imagine the Ratchet and Clank thing.

I also enjoy co-op multiplayer.

The best thing to ever have in a video game Easter Eggs. Like all of them

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I enjoy quick-time events and any game that has them, I also enjoy games that use button mashing sequences. When you do it, you feel the character pushing against whatever it is your button mashing.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I enjoy quick-time events and any game that has them, I also enjoy games that use button mashing sequences. When you do it, you feel the character pushing against whatever it is your button mashing.
Well, you're a first.

I enjoy mechanics that expands on the core of a genre and bring many new possibility with it. The best example in my head right now is how Donkey Kong's roll in the DKC games which is arguably the best kind of feature a platformer can hope for. It's very diverse and allows the player to control levels and their pace on their own. It can be used for attacking, long jumping, speeding, etc and is a speedrunner's dream move.

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
Years
Resident Evil Remake mechanics for sure. When you picked up an item you needed to investigate it with a zoom and rotate toggle to figure out if there was anything more to it. Investigation could range from discovering if the item is a key item, or just something useful for combat. The zombie system was also fun. If you were to kill one, the body would stay there for 2-3 hours and eventually mutate into a superior zombie with x2 Speed, X2 Endurance, and x2 Power. The best mechanic of the game would have to be the limited resources. You had limited Ink to save your game, limited ammo, and limited health items. This required the player to be careful, rationed, and always be on guard. Truly the best horror game ever made-- developed in 2003, the graphics hold up to today's modern games.

Years
OP... are you talking about gameplay? That's what sounds like.

Anyways my favorite gameplay came from Maplestory when I played it long time ago. I really liked the combination between platformer and RPG. It's sad that I won't ever experience Maplestory the same way I did when I was in elementary school.

TY

For me it's the best if you can approach something in multiple ways, not being forced to go only one way, except if its a racing game.

I just adore choosing my own paths and experience if it was a good one or not.

Back