• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
When I first went through yellow I named them Ash and Gary. Now I name them Red and Blue when I play Red version. And when I play Yellow I name them Yellow and Blue. Sometimes Yellow and Green.

MirandaxPikachu

Lovin' Pikachu since 1999.
Years
I always name the main character Miranda, just because it's my name, or if I was a guy, just Red or Blue. :P
And my rival was usually Gary, or Paul. (Paul is my friend :P)

Years
I named myself Josh cuz that's mah name =D and I called my rival ozzy, cuz Ozzy was the only boy who came to mind when I named my Rival (I just started lastnight =DDD)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Rival = douchebag.

I usually named my character all sorts of things in the games, though I guess I usually stuck with either Oliver or Olli, as those are my real name and nickname. I always lacked originality with my rival though, and usually ended up naming him either Gary, as that was the only name I knew the rival by at the time. It wasn't till much later that I learned the main character and the rival's actual names, and by then I didn't own Yellow anymore :/

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Actually made me check my game. Can't really remember what I named them in my first run of Yellow, but in the last (and never finished), it's Ash and Gary. Nowadays I give them random names.

Polizard'12

Pokemon Trader
Years
Same here, I named him Ash and Rival Gary, since I noticed (as a kid) they resembled their anime counterparts...

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
I named myself SIWEL (no idea why) and my rival "A dummy". So when I battle him it says "A dummy wants to battle!"

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
Almost always Gary or Blue and some other inappropriate names i wont list here lol. For myself it was Red or Ash. Typically i didn't care to venture outside of a generic name or the intended character game. Had the main characters not been made after real characters i may have choose original names.

Pinta77

I named him gary, then I lost my file after I restored my iphone... I might name him something inappropriate the next time around just cause I'm mad.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I named him 'I smell' or something similar so that Oak said "Hi this is your rival, I smell." I was very young at the time so don't judge me ;;

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
I named myself Red and I named the rival Blue because I had Pokèmon Red and my brother had Pokèmon Blue lol.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Like most here, Ash and Gary, but not because I couldn't think of anything better, but because I thought when they asked for my character's/rival's name, I thought Ash and Gary were simply the correct answers. =P Well, this was the first time I was ever exposed to naming my characters in a video game, I guess.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Because it was made to be like the anime, I named them Ash and Gary. Though I also did this in Red and Blue as well, seeing as I saw the anime first before I got the games, so I thought I really was playing as Ash in Red and Blue.

Back