• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
Years
Imo, the 5th gen starters aren't all that great.
I've played through White like 3/4 times and I've used each starter. I just got White 2 and I kinda feel like ditching my Oshawott. I don't want to use a Fire/Fighting starter for the umpteenth time and I do like Snivy but I find Serperior ugly lol. I only pretty much like Samurott but it's getting boring I guess especially since you have the previous gen pokemon to replace them. Heck, I might just trade one of the previous gen starters over :p

Like instead of Samurott, I could be using Vaporeon, Lapras or Starmie.
Is anyone here gonna ditch their starter now that you can get previous gen Pokemon pre-E4? I feel like doing it but I feel pretty bad since.. well.. it's your starter.

Last edited:

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
I used Shizu, my Serperior, all the way though the Pokemon League. She's sitting in storage at Lv. 63 or 64 now, though. I'll get around to leveling her at some point.

Years
I ditched mine as soon as I caught something else. I think it was harder (especially since you're really skimped for choice outside of Riolu until you get to Virbank) but more rewarding. The main problem is the lack of good water-types available pre-E4. I don't think you can find the Water Stone until really late in the game, which basically leaves you with Azumarill and Jellicent (and the Water starter) as your only usable options.

I know what you mean, though. All the starters in this gen really start to fall behind near the end of the game. My Samurott in White was really only an HM Slave with Megahorn at the end.

If I were to restart my game, I'd do it again. It's a lot harder in the beginning of the game, though.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
I do when I finish and defeat the Pokemon League. When I do so, I ditch most Pokemons I had with me in the beggining of my journey, and go get myself Pokemons from the previous generations. I'm currently with an Infernape rather than a Serperior. I replaced all my set now, with a team includng a Garchomp, Haxorus, and Gengar for example.
It's mainly due to the fact that EVs are messed up with the Pokemons in your journey, so I simply ditch and start all over again...with a Pokemon of my pick.

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
Not This time I used Lee all through the main story mode and she's still sitting in my party.

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2015
I'm not ditching it. I'm going to breed it into eggs so I can trade them for other pokemon though GST.

Years
I chose Tepig this time around and I actually used him through the entire main game and a tiny bit of the extra content. Emboar was a decent Pokémon but I felt like he didn't learn enough fighting attacks on his own and I needed a flying-type, so he was eventually replaced by a Charizard.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I used my Samurott and he helped me beat the league, but seriously, he didn't do much. I focused more on my other 'mons. I was thinking about getting an Eevee and evolving it to vaporeon, but I didn't feel like searching for one in the grass that late in the game so... Might as well use Samurott. I never used him again.

I felt like ditching him early in the game but I kinda felt bad about it. Oshawott is so cute, and Dewott is so cool.

`Brianna

Mahamagiha, my friends!
Years
I'm not too big of a fan of the generation V starters, so I'm planning on ditching mine right after I find another pokemon to replace it.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I have ditched starters before. But in Black2 my Emboar is a Champ! Lv.73. My other pokemon are just now starting to catch-up to his level.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
I ditched my Emboar around level 40, then around near the end of the game I decided I'd give it another chance. Had it hold exp share until level 55 and tried to use it again.
Now it's in my box, never to be used again.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
I would never ditch my starter, mostly because I love all the Grass type starters. Venix, my Serperior in White 2, is pretty strong and he's self-healing with Leech Seed and Giga Drain. The only starter I would switch out for is Bulbasaur, my favorite Pokemon ever.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
My starter was replaced with Porygon this time around. I felt a bit bad about having a Psychic attack so early alongside a recovery move... but I knew Porygon would be weak by the end of the game. It actually pulled its weight against the E4 surprisingly well despite not evolving throughout the story. Ultimately, the most enjoyable starter replacement I've used.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
My current playthrough of Black 2 is the first time, outside of doing challenges, that I've ditched my starter. I just found using Servine was annoying, never used him in B/W so thought I'd try him here... big mistake! Although on the bright side, it made room in my team for a Glaceon :D

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
I usually never ditch my starter, unless I'm doing challenges. There was one time I did ditch my starter, in my second run through of Diamond. I never did like the starters in that game. I migrated a Charmander ( bred one )from my FireRed to my Platinum, then traded it to my Diamond only at Sandgem Town. It served me better in the long run that I think Infernape ever would have.

Years
When I start my playthrough, I will not be ditching my Oshawott cos he is my literal mascot.

In fact, I don't even ditch my starters in any game, and in B2/W2 it will be no exception.

Snork

My cabbages!
Years
I was suprised with the gen 5 starters, I actually like them a lot. Although, I was never big on the Sinnoh starters.
Snivy and Oshawatt and 2 of my favourite starter evolutionary lines, not a fan on Tepig (another fire/fighting starter -.-) So yeah, I've never ditched my gen 5 starters, I did dicht my gen 4 though cause they sucked :P

Back