• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Insert new pokemon Complete tutorial.

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Hi everyone I am goning to tell you every single detail on inserting
pokemon into those 25 empty slots. Here are the sections. Valid for all gba genration games.
(Sorry, but untill I get more comments I won't update the tut becuase if know one likes it there's is no point ( I encourage critisicm because then I know what to update and make more clear))

Indexing Sprites.
Inserting sprites
Repointing Sprites
Stats edit
Icon repointing and editing NEW
and Cry editing(coming when someone PMs me on how to do it)

History
21/09/08 added basics, posted thread.
21/09/08 inserted detail, for easier understanding
26/09/08 Added a little bit
14/11/08 Icon Editing tuorial inserted

INDEXING SPRITES
(and adding transparent coulour)

Spoiler:

INSERTING SPRITES

Spoiler:

REPOINTING SPRITES
Spoiler:

Stats Edit

Spoiler:

Icon Editing

Spoiler:

P.S There is a complete tut on pkmnhackersonline.com but ther are some stuff there which are quite hard to understand or completely not explained. And I found out that you can easily repoint the icon on pokemon editor pro and also I want to add how to change the cry plus I want to know how to disable the pokedex in wild events.

Last edited by a moderator:

master morty

Master Spriter
Years
you edit pokemon cries with pokecry I'm not sure how as I got told yesterday nice tutorial though I was hoping one of these would be here (yay first post)
P.s. I think those 25 empty slots are ACTUALLY used for the unknown but who uses the unknown in their hack anyway :D

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
This is based of somenone elses tutorial but some unclear stuff there has been fixed up here and I also want to include how to change pokecrys but i don't know how to do that. Also does anyone know how to disable the pokedex in wild events.
(I know these slots don't take up unknown space cause by themselves these pokemon only know tackle)

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
This is what I think about the 25 slots:

Ruby and Saphire were based off of Crystal but (almost) completely reprogrammed. Back in the day of Crystal, you had to have a new Pokemon for every Unown letter (there were 26 for the 26 letters in the Alphabet). But when they overhauled the code, they left in the extra Unowns until after they had programmed all the Pokemon. Then they went back and programmed the Unown Shape Byte into the Random Pokemon Generator in the game, thus eliminating the need for those extra 25 Unowns. They moved the Pokemon after Unown into those slots, but they didn't feel like moving the Hoenn Pokemon, so they just left those slots open.

So they actually were other Pokemon, and Celebi and the others are actually old Unowns, while Empty Slot 25 used to be Celebi. Get it?

Boy, that was a long post.

EDIT: Boy, I sure hope that you get the Cry Editing Tutorial in.

Years
This is what I think about the 25 slots:

Ruby and Saphire were based off of Crystal but (almost) completely reprogrammed. Back in the day of Crystal, you had to have a new Pokemon for every Unown letter (there were 26 for the 26 letters in the Alphabet). But when they overhauled the code, they left in the extra Unowns until after they had programmed all the Pokemon. Then they went back and programmed the Unown Shape Byte into the Random Pokemon Generator in the game, thus eliminating the need for those extra 25 Unowns. They moved the Pokemon after Unown into those slots, but they didn't feel like moving the Hoenn Pokemon, so they just left those slots open.

So they actually were other Pokemon, and Celebi and the others are actually old Unowns, while Empty Slot 25 used to be Celebi. Get it?

Boy, that was a long post.

EDIT: Boy, I sure hope that you get the Cry Editing Tutorial in.

So...
Gold and Silver came from the same source... Then they made Crystal... Instead of making a new Game when they reached the advanced Generation, they made Ruby and Saphirre over Crystal? and Then Emerald, Fire red and Leaf green...

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
Years
Hm, still unclear stuff. Are you sure it shouldn't be saved as a .png? I did .gif and it came out werid (and with the Unown cry - yes this proves those 25 spots are for Unown). I'm going to try again later. I found a Title Screen Cry Changer but not a standard cry changer. The TSCC only goes from #1-#251 though but it's still nice.

EDIT: I used indexed .pngs instead as that seemed to be the correct way. This time, instead of getting the distorted and weird image... it froze when I select the Pokéball containing the newly adde Pokémon [Bonsly]. It did play the Unown cry before it froze and continued playing the BGM afterwards but I couldn't do anything at all. an anyone help me at all?

Last edited:

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
I use Gifs and they work fine, did you make sure that when you repointed that the pallette was first and the graphics were second and the were 4 spaces apart!
I will add screenies when I hav made more than 15 posts.
And please point out faults in this tutorial for me, thanks poke professor

master morty

Master Spriter
Years
Hm, still unclear stuff. Are you sure it shouldn't be saved as a .png? I did .gif and it came out werid (and with the Unown cry - yes this proves those 25 spots are for Unown). I'm going to try again later. I found a Title Screen Cry Changer but not a standard cry changer. The TSCC only goes from #1-#251 though but it's still nice.

EDIT: I used indexed .pngs instead as that seemed to be the correct way. This time, instead of getting the distorted and weird image... it froze when I select the Pokéball containing the newly adde Pokémon [Bonsly]. It did play the Unown cry before it froze and continued playing the BGM afterwards but I couldn't do anything at all. an anyone help me at all?

to edit pokemon cries use pokecry GUI by LoadingNow you can get it in elite map.

p.s. make sure that when you choose the wav and hit encode that the wav is an 8 bit wav. you'll deeply regret it if it's not... trust me;)

Sierraffinity

Years

Was that Title Screen Cry Changer the one that I posted here?
Title Screen Cry Changer

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
Years
Was that Title Screen Cry Changer the one that I posted here?
Title Screen Cry Changer

I believe so.

master morty said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Professor

to edit pokemon cries use pokecry GUI by LoadingNow you can get it in elite map.

p.s. make sure that when you choose the wav and hit encode that the wav is an 8 bit wav. you'll deeply regret it if it's not... trust me

I don't know if it will work for me. I don't think I've tried it with my Fire Red OM yet but... I heard it messes up other cries. I guess I can backup the ROM and try it.

torferno lvl-x said:
I use Gifs and they work fine, did you make sure that when you repointed that the pallette was first and the graphics were second and the were 4 spaces apart!
I will add screenies when I hav made more than 15 posts.
And please point out faults in this tutorial for me, thanks poke professor

I think I know the problem. unLZ.gba does the deep scan thing at the beginning. I was going to change FR's title screen and then realised that in unLZ.gba, when you're looking to rip the images (how do you do that by the way? The pkmnhackersonline tutorial didn't explain it in detail), 2009 in FR is the Pokemon logo. It wouldn't display so I rescanned the ROM (after putting it in the EliteMap directory) and it worked. I'll try again tomorrow - it might work this time. I should avoiding setting transparency when indexing though, right? Or does it not matter?

Sierraffinity

Years
I believe so.

I don't know if it will work for me. I don't think I've tried it with my Fire Red OM yet but... I heard it messes up other cries. I guess I can backup the ROM and try it.

I think I know the problem. unLZ.gba does the deep scan thing at the beginning. I was going to change FR's title screen and then realised that in unLZ.gba, when you're looking to rip the images (how do you do that by the way? The pkmnhackersonline tutorial didn't explain it in detail), 2009 in FR is the Pokemon logo. It wouldn't display so I rescanned the ROM (after putting it in the EliteMap directory) and it worked. I'll try again tomorrow - it might work this time. I should avoiding setting transparency when indexing though, right? Or does it not matter?
Umm... well when I indexed and set transparency, I don't remember what, but something didn't work afterward.

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Sorry, but untill I get more comments I won't update the tut becuase if know one likes it there's is no point ( I encourage critisicm because then I know what to update and make more clear) This includes screenshots!

Last edited:

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
Years
i wouldnt say that this was a bad tutorial. can i add something?

if you are gonna be making a new pokemon, first open UnLZ.GBA and find the pokemon you want. click on save as.. then yourpokemonnamehere.png

open this up in paint, and now there will be a few odd things happening. the palette will only correspond to the exact palette from the game, so you will have to hunt for the colors yourself. secondly, you could use APE and change the palette so that it matches with the one you are making. when you are done, save. go back to UnLZ and click import, following with your image of your new pokemon. then click Write to ROM, and tick to correct pointers, export image and export palette. you could tick the other one if you want to.

then try it out. if it appears, you've done it right. if it is too big, then resize it in UnLZ and try again.

EDIT:this only took me 25 minutes to figure out.

Last edited:

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
That won't work 'cause all the 25 empty slot pokemon have the same sprite pointers, so you will have to use pokemon editor pro or RS ball to repoint each empty slot individually this also applies for the icon. Anyway i'll add screnies when i have to insert pokemon into the empty slots for GKS in his awesome new hack POKEMON ODDS AND EVENS.

Back