• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueEspeon

Banned
Years
  • Age 22
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 24, 2014
Yeeeaaaah...
I've always made it my tradition to pick the grass type.
I was really disappointed of the starters but now I'm starting to like them!

Chespin: I think it has great potential! It would be awesome if it becomes a Grass-Dark sweeper ^^
Froakie: My least favorite of the Gen 6 starters (As of now) I don't think he looks bad, though
Fennekin: It looks cool! I will be angry if the make it another Fire-Fighting >:(

I'm definitely choosing Chespin because choosing the grass starters is my tradition :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Knowing pretty much nothing about these pokemon as of now i think (and i cant believe i am saying this) I like Chespin the grass pokemon the best pretty much because of looks. I will not be choosing it though because i can never really do well using grass types. I will most likely be using my favorite type pokemon, Fennekin because it reminds me a little bit of Ninetails and Vulpix, which i really liked and also because it is the second most visually appealing. Sorry Froakie, but if your evolution stages look better than your first stage, i might actaully start to like you. And as i am about to post this i just read a post a couple posts above this post - i like being posty - and BlueEspeon is right about if they make Fennikin another fire/fight. I will be pissed. too many in this game, just stop nintendo

Years
I'm choosing Fennekin, while also having Pangoro and Malamar. I never really focus on balancing my team when I play through the story of any Pokemon game, as long as I have Surf and Fly on my team, I just choose whatever >.< Of course, I do try to balance it out, but sometimes it's too hard and I end up having 3 fire-types on my team.

We don't even know their stats yet, needless to say Fennekin's weaknesses and Malamar/Pangoro's strengths and vice versa practically cancel each other out. Even though, I was always choosing Fennekin, but it's nice to get a little extra bonus from choosing it haha.

Then again, Bug Pokemon (apart from the start of the games but they usually don't carry any Bug-moves anyway) aren't exactly common with trainers, so choosing Chespin won't matter THAT much, at least in my opinion.

That's what I was thinking with choosing Fennekin. They balance each other out well. Plus throw in Honedge into the mix and you can cover the Bug type weaknesses, and Fighting and flying weaknesses of Pangoro, even better.

With you talking about having 3 fire types on your team, I may just do a Dark monotype run like Austin1395, or a Dark-Ghost dualtype run (if that makes any sense even). It'll be fun that way :D

Sewaddle learned Bug Bite at Lv. 8 which made it OP in the early game (for BW2). Hope it's not so for Scatterbug. Well, since Chespin won't evolve to Dark/Grass most likely till it's final evo, I don't think I have much to worry about. So looking forward to Chespin <3

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
Well Fennekin knows a move call Flare Punch... Shown in the lastest video. So Fire Fighting Again? Sucks to to Suck

Years
Well Fennekin knows a move call Flare Punch... Shown in the lastest video. So Fire Fighting Again? Sucks to to Suck

You mean Glow Punch. But I don't think Fennekin would become part Fighting by having this move alone, there are so many Pokemon that learn loads of attacks not even of their own types. I'm pretty sure Game Freak won't make Fennekin into a Fire/Fighting starter upon evolving, and I did read somewhere its name seems to be a play on Fennec fox, but also kindle and kinesis which would explain why the rumor about its evolution being Fire/Psychic is being heavily hinted.

Years

Feraligatr can learn Ice Punch so it must be Water/Ice type!... not. Though I hope to God Fennekin doesn't evolve into fire/fighting and it looks extremely unlikely at this point.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I'm definitely going to go with Chespin. It looks cute and I think it will evolve into Grass/Ground for obvious reasons. I also think it will learn a lot of moves having to do with claws (like Weavile and Zangoose) When I get the game (if I have enough money to) he will
be my choice and would go awesome with my perfectly planned team

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
It's a hard decision for me right now. I know for a fact that I won't pick Fennekin, since I plan on sticking with other fire-types. It's overrated.

I'm completely stuck between choosing Froakie or Chespin.

Chespin is such a happy-go-lucky Pokemon! You just have to have it with you! Its potential evolution line will look sick, I just know it. I'm imagining an Excadrill-like stature with spikes along its back.

Froakie is just cool in general. I've always liked frogs, and I have a feeling it will end up different than the other frog/toad Pokemon we have. The way it's presented gives off that mysterious, ninja vibe.

I guess my final decision will overall be based off of their evolutionary designs / stats / movepool, since I won't care what their future typing will be. Or if there will be a new Pokemon with a similar typing as one of them, then I'll go with the other.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I'm definitely going to choose Fennekin. I haven't used the Fire starter since Torchic and I'm not going to miss out on the chance to be one of those punny people who name it "Firefox" :P I sincerely hope that it turns out to be Fire/Psychic or even Fire/Fairy.

Both the other starters look great too! Chespin seems like it doesn't have a care in the world and Froakie has a nice design. I can't wait to see what the evolved forms look like and what their final evolution will have as a type.

Years
It'll be either Fennekin or Froakie for me, depending on their evolutions.

Also, don't forget we've already had two fire foxes everyone. Vulpix, Ninetales. Nice to have a fennec fox though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Originally thought Chespin without a doubt, but now I am starting to lean towards Froakie. It really depends on their evolution though. If Froakie turns out to be a Ninja frog like many fan art and speculation has predicted, then I will pick him easily.

Really don't understand why so many people like Fennekin though. Not trying to bash anybody, but I don't see the appeal there :S

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I get my hands on either Pokémon X or Pokémon Y, I would choose Fennekin as my starter. I usually go with whatever's popular. If I ever restart the game, then I would definitely choose Chespin. It's, in my opinion, the cutest starter Pokémon they've made so far. It's even cuter than Bulbasaur, who used to be my favorite grass-type Pokémon of all time. xD

Last edited:

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
I honestly don't ever pick Grass starters because the grass type is pretty useless in-game but I'll probably go with Chespin this time since it's the cutest out of the 3 in my opinion.

OfficialKatsunori

x?q]r♂Pk
Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2013
I have a habit of picking rodent starters (Pikachu in Yellow, Oshawott in BW, etc.), so I'm definitely going with Chespin. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back