• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's sum up all six generations. =))

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Victreebel's Bro, I don't think you can catch Mewtwo in Gen 2; Cerulean Cave completely collapsed... I think you meant HGSS and it's considered a Gen 4, actually.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
Generation I
Describe Me: New
Favorite Starter: Bulbasaur
Second Partner: Nidoqueen
Shining Moment: Seeing the rival being the champion made a intimidating final boss.
Favorite Legendary: Mewtwo
Summary: While the games haven't aged well at all, the Pokemon introduce were good starts to the series and the art style of the generation was very nice. A great start to a great franchise.

Generation II
Describe Me: Improvement
Favorite Starter: Chikorita
Second Partner: Dunsparce
Shining Moment: Seeing Ho-Oh in the bell tower
Favorite Legendary: Celebi
Summary: There really isn't much to say about Gen 2. While it isn't as strong as its predecessor in the Pokemon department, the game were a huge step up.

Generation III
Describe Me: OMG OMG OMG
Favorite Starter: Treecko
Second Partner: Aggron
Shining Moment: Can't think of any - that's how good this generation is.
Favorite Legendary: Groudon
Summary: Best art style, region, Pokemon, games, design, characters. This is the best of pokemon and the peak of the series quality.

Generation IV
Describe Me: Enjoyable
Favorite Starter: Piplup
Second Partner: Leafeon
Shining Moment: Going to spear pillar and watching Cyrus summon Palkia.
Favorite Legendary: OMG PALKIA
Summary: Don't like it as much, but it has the best memories for me. Good region, solid art style, it's just the pokemon introduced were lacking.

Generation V
Describe Me:
tumblr_lmsi6gn5u61qhxr17o1_500.gif

Favorite Starter: I just chucked them in the box.
Second Partner: Volcarona
Shining Moment: There wasn't one
Favorite Legendary: Zekrom was the only one I cared for.
Summary: This gen sucks. I hated the art style, N was a annoying twerp and the whole 'fresh start' they were trying to do fell flat on it's face. B2/W2 were okay games, but the entire generation was still a disaster.

Generation VI
Describe Me: Hopeful
To-be Starter: Froakie
To-be Second Partner: IDK
To-be Shining Moment: IDK
Favorite Legendary: Yvetal
Summary: It has potential. I don't think It will be my favourite of the game and the pokemon introduce so far are a bit of a mixed bag. X/Y will still be fun, but after the awful gen 5 I have serious concerns due to how bad gen 5 was.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
Generation I
Describe Me: Pure awesome
Favorite Starter: Squirtle. *Loved Charmander, but I REALLY like dat Blastoise*
Second Partner: Raichu *Can't get enough of the dark orange mouse :) *
Shining Moment: Beating Blue and rubbing his nose in it.
Favorite Legendary: Mewtwo
Summary: My first generation, tutored by my brother. Many cherished hours of playtime.

Generation II
Describe Me: Best- Generation- ever.
Favorite Starter: Cyndaquil. *Love you Totodile, but it's a weasel, that breaths fire.*
Second Partner: Noctowl *It's an owl. 'Nuff said.*
Shining Moment: Beating Red on the first try, Charizard vs. Typhlosion.
Favorite Legendary: Ho-oh.
Summary: This story-line was absolutely amazing. Loved the day/night mechanic. Pre-evolutions, baby Pokemon, concepts of Legendaries. Newfound love and obsession with Pichu. All in all, a great game, really built off of R/B's core mechanics.

Generation III
Describe Me: Meh, kinda cool.
Favorite Starter: Sceptile *First time I've ever chosen a Grass starter- ever.*
Second Partner: Mightyena.
Shining Moment: Defeating Stephen.
Favorite Legendary: Kyogre, although Rayquaza was a beast.
Summary: Definitely appreciated the new look of the Pokemon and graphics. Truly brought out the meaning of what Pokemon should look and feel like. Wasn't a big fan on the music, but it was good. I was more exited when FR/LG came out, and all original 151 were reimagined.

Generation IV
Describe Me: Pretty freaking awesome.
Favorite Starter: Piplup. *Fire/Fighting starter? No thanks, Steel/Water Penguins are top.*
Second Partner: Staraptor
Shining Moment: Defeating Cynthia's OVERPOWERED Garchomp ;D
Favorite Legendary: Garch- er. Palkia.
Summary: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum were all great games. The pseudo-3D effects were astronomical, and the look of the Pokemon were sharp and very appealing to the eyes. Great music, and a interesting story. Needless to say, I nearly died when I heard that Heartgold/Soulsilver were going to look the exact same graphics wise, and a remake of Gold and Silver to boot! Great Generation.

Generation V
Describe Me: Lolwut? Way too easy to beat.
Favorite Starter: Oshawott *Snivy (Black 2). Getting a bit tired of Fire/fighting*
Second Partner: Stoutland *Scottish terrier dog. 'Nuff said.*
Shining Moment: Beating Red in the Pokemon World Tournament.
Favorite Legendary: Zekrom
Summary: A great generation, the moving Pokemon sprites added to the effect that these creatures were actually 'alive'. Music was pretty awesome, and the implementation of multiple rivals, instead of just one, was greatly accepted. I just wish they weren't so easy to beat :/ .

Generation VI
Describe Me: Promising
To-be Starter: Froakie *Dat frog. Fennekin might be chosen if it isn't a cursed FIRE/FIGHTING!*
To-be Second Partner: Charmander *If I choose Froakie, Squirtle if Fennekin.*
To-be Shining Moment: Probably mega-evolving my soon to be Ampharos. I freaking love Ampharos.
Favorite Legendary: Xerneas looks pretty sweet. But maybe Mega-Mewto X.
Summary: Looks interesting, will definitely get it when I have some spending cash and a 3DS. I just hope it doesn't get so easy that I can mow through the story in the span of two hours.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Generation I
Describe Me: Good enough start.
Favorite Starter: Bulbasaur
Second Partner: Arbok
Shining Moment: Finishing my Arbok solo run
Favorite Legendary: Mew
Summary: Gen 1 is quite literally the bare bones of the series. At least one future game has built upon every aspect of it, from gen 5's graphical improvements to gen 2's elaborating on the story. It's not the best but it's iconic for being the first.

Generation II
Describe Me: Yooo
Favorite Starter: Totodile
Second Partner: Heracross
Shining Moment: Every rival battle
Favorite Legendary: None, actually
Summary: Everything a sequel should be, and it's aged far better than its predecessor. While gen 1 had a very small amount of post-E4 content, gen 2 let you fight a second batch of gym leaders in an entire second region. That's the closest we'll ever get to an all-region game.

Generation III
Describe Me: Water
Favorite Starter: Water
Second Partner: Water
Shining Moment: Water
Favorite Legendary: Water
Summary: Water water water water water water. Water water, water water water water water water water. Water water water water. Water water water water water water, water water water.

Generation IV
Describe Me: My favorite.
Favorite Starter: Chimchar
Second Partner: Gastrodon
Shining Moment: Catching Mesprit
Favorite Legendary: Mesprit
Summary: I was never too big on gen 3 because I disliked the remakes and absolutely hated the original games so I was really surprised when I liked gen 4. It restored my faith in the entire franchise, especially when I took a liking to the Sinnoh portion of the anime. The Johto remakes are also pretty awesome.

Generation V
Describe Me: Not as bad as people say.
Favorite Starter: Oshawott
Second Partner: Lilligant
Shining Moment: Just being in Elesa's BW2 gym
Favorite Legendary: Meloetta
Summary: People whine about the Pokemon designs and N and blah blah blah who gives a damn. The thing that sucked the most about gen 5 was the experience system. Other than that, it was an alright batch of games. The sequel idea was pretty cool and I really preferred it to a third game that rehashed the same material with a few changes and some bonus content. Plus if you follow me on Tumblr then you know how much I love Elesa and Skyla.

Generation VI
Describe Me: Hype train got no brakes
To-be Starter: Broakie
To-be Second Partner: No clue yet
To-be Shining Moment: No clue yet
Favorite Legendary: No clue yet but please give me something small, cute, and pink
Summary:
Drake said:
Started from the bottom, now we're here

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Generation III
Describe Me: Water
Favorite Starter: Water
Second Partner: Water
Shining Moment: Water
Favorite Legendary: Water
Summary: Water water water water water water. Water water, water water water water water water water. Water water water water. Water water water water water water, water water water.

You know, koff~

While I agree on most of your statement, I think you forget to mention on how much water is actually- oh. I see, you did mention it. Good. Because I'd hate for you not to mention all that H2O lying about.

It would seem that a lot of younger people really enjoyed the third generation. I think they missed out on the steps it took to get to that point. I still think most of the fan base was shed after the third game came out. It just seemed to pale in comparison (for me) to the second's Pokemon Silver Version and Gold Version, koffi~

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Generation I
Describe Me: Good start.
Favorite Starter: Charmander
Second Partner: Alakazam
Shining Moment: Capturing Mewtwo without a Master Ball
Favorite Legendary: Articuno and Mewtwo
Summary: I found the concept of the game to be absolutely amazing, but looking back at it now, the first generation was very flawed: no balance, glitches, horrible in-battle graphics... still managed to get me into the series, but if I have the urge to replay this generation nowadays, I play the remakes.

Generation II
Describe Me: Everything a sequel should be.
Favorite Starter: Cyndaquil
Second Partner: Ampharos
Shining Moment: Discovering the Kanto map wasn't just for the show and that Kanto was actually in the game.
Favorite Legendary: Lugia.
Summary: A lot of the flaws from the original games were fixed, the new Pokémon and types, as well as the Special stat split, made the ensemble a lot more coherent in terms of balance, two regions to explore and sixteen badges to get... much was added, with very little taken away. The only three problems I have with this generation are: the French translation that messed up the line "Pokémon used Move", dividing it in three lines instead of two and forcing the player to scroll down every time a Pokémon used a move; three HMs of the same type; and a new feature that I to this day hate with a passion: roaming legendaries.

Generation III
Describe Me: Still good.
Favorite Starter: Torchic
Second Partner: Pelliper
Shining Moment: Discovering that there's a national Pokédex and that the old Pokémon are still in the game.
Favorite Legendary: Deoxys.
Summary: Another good sequel. The incompatibility with Gen 2 and the Regional Pokédex made me nervous for at first: I really thought that they actually removed most of the old Pokémon from the series (that's why I was completely disgusted with the game when I met the not-so-interesting Machop and the ever annoying Zubat: I thought "What? THIS is what they kept?") . I also hated not being able to travel to Johto or Kanto, but looking back now, Hoenn was actually huge enough to make up for that, and had a lot of interesting stuff to do. The double battles were pretty cool, the updated graphics were nice to look at, a lot of memorable tunes... it's a game I could see myself replaying.

Generation IV
Describe Me: Getting stale.
Favorite Starter: Haven't tried them all yet. So far, Empoleon.
Second Partner: Luxray
Shining Moment: The battle with Cynthia. I LOVE that musical piece.
Favorite Legendary: The Lake Trio, except the roaming one.
Summary: I discovered this generation years after the first three, when I got back into Pokémon two years ago, and I haven't played Platinum yet. I liked what I saw, but to be fair, I thought this was the point where the series needed to reinvent itself, and that Gen 4 (at least the solo campaign, I'm not into multiplayer to be honest) felt like "Gen 3, part 2". I like the graphics and most of the music, the world is big and not too boring (although the very long stretch between the 2d and 3rd gyms was extremely annoying) , there's a lot of optional things to do... but a lot of it gave me a feeling of "déjà-vu". I was also irritated by how slow battle animations were, and I found the attempt to make the game "longer" by requiring the player to see every Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex before being able to acces most post-game content rather pathetic.

Generation V
Describe Me: A very nice change.
Favorite Starter: Tepig
Second Partner: Klinklang
Shining Moment: Wha... did a palace just rise from the ground?
Favorite Legendary: Kyurem
Summary: There's a lot of things I liked about this generation. I liked the entirely new Pokédex which made me feel like I was discovering the series all over again. I enjoyed the story a lot, mostly thanks to the characters like Gym Leaders being a lot more interesting than before, even though it felt like I was held by the hand and guided through it rather that going through it on my own. The new battle screen was rather cool. TMs being reusable and HMs becoming optional was very convenient. The graphics were nicer than in Gen 4 and I absolutely loved the soundtrack. I also like how the game designers apparently finally got over their phobia of high levels, because post-game routes have completely evolved wild Pokémon with very high levels. The shaking grass was a nice touch too. B2/W2 made the generation even better for me: new locations, the PWT, the enhanced Pokédex, the "use another repel?" dialog... oh, and the concept of roaming Pokémon was finally perfected, and by "perfected" I mean "removed". A lot in this generation felt new and fresh, and while some changes did indeed fall flat, I enjoyed the games too much to care.

Generation VI - not a clue yet, I need to play it first. But I like what I see so far.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Sure, why not?

Generation I
Describe Me: Trend-setting.
Favorite Starter: Charmander.
Second Partner: Pikachu. The hours spent traipsing the Viridian Forest for one...
Shining Moment: Beating Misty. That Starmie of hers still gives me nightmares over a decade later...
Favorite Legendary: Mewtwo. Blame the first movie on this one.
Summary: Like most things I loved when I was a kid, I look back on this generation with a lot of fondness. I'll not deny my memories are very rosy tinted - I wouldn't even consider trying to play these games now; the speed would send me to hell even as the 8-bit music and sprites sent me to heaven - but nostalgia is like that. Like a lot of people here, I started with the first games, and whilst I will admit and acknowledge they have since been surpassed (in terms of gameplay at the very least; designs are personal preference, but there is no denying Pokemon has come a long way since the first gen) they still started it all for me, and I'll always appreciate them for that.

Generation II
Describe Me: Exciting.
Favorite Starter: Totodile.
Second Partner: Pidgey, usually. I've always loved Pidgey, and Hoothoot just didn't cut it with me...
Shining Moment: Destroying Misty when I went to Kanto. Revenge is a dish best served with Pokemon ten levels above your opponent's. Ahahaha.
Favorite Legendary: Raikou. Poor, underappreciated Raikou...
Summary: Looking back on it, I guess this was more of the same, but at the time this was like having Christmas halfway through the year...and considering how old I was at the time, that was the best thing since sliced bread. Everything was just BETTER: it looked nicer, there were new features, it felt like a proper continuation with Team Rocket causing more mischief, and best of all, you got to go back to Kanto afterwards. These were HUGE games at the time for me in terms of content, and the shiny cartridge made it even more special. I'm so sad they discontinued the coloured cartridges with the fourth generation...

Generation III
Describe Me: Uninspired.
Favorite Starter: Treecko.
Second Partner: Taillow. I love swallows.
Shining Moment: Figuring out those braille puzzles.
Favorite Legendary: Latias.
Summary: The third gen is one that I didn't really come to appreciate until I got Emerald: the Team Magma/Aqua thing was just so much better when you interacted properly with both of them, I think. I absolutely LOATHED the soundtrack for these games, as well. I still do. It just doesn't sound right to me, and it didn't feel as big after the second generation...or perhaps I was just getting more cynical at that point, and/or reacting to peer pressure. Pokemon wasn't universally accepted as a cool thing come the GBA; it was a shameful thing to still like it. That might have impacted me, at least initially. I do love Emerald, though.

Generation IV
Describe Me: Probably my favourite thus far?
Favorite Starter: Piplup. It's Pingu in Pokemon form!
Second Partner: Starly. It's the fourth gen Pidgey; of course I'm going to have one!
Shining Moment: Cynthia's piano theme...I mean, beating Cynthia. God, she was HARD.
Favorite Legendary: Giratina.
Summary: I really love the fourth gen. I'm not sure why, because looking back on it there wasn't a huge leap between gen four and three in terms of content or gameplay. I guess after the abysmal OST of Gen III and the overwhelming abundance of water it was nice to be back on dry land again? In terms of Pokemon designs, the fourth gen has my favourites overall as well. Plus there was Cynthia, the first - and only in my books; I really do not care for Iris - female Champion, which was nice to see.

Generation V
Describe Me: Disappointing.
Favorite Starter: Snivy, although I really don't care for any of them...
Second Partner: Pidove, naturally.
Shining Moment: Ghetsis' battle theme. Yup.
Favorite Legendary: Meloetta. Her normal form, mind.
Summary: I really didn't care for Gen V, although I only have myself to blame for raised expectations. Firstly, there was the hype surrounding the story, which it completely lacked. I had a lot of issues with these games besides that - the designs, for one. With a few notable exceptions, I loathed them all. The starters were all ugly, and the Pokemon along the first few routes were awful (I was NOT using Patrat or Lillipup, thank you) so I was stuck with my ugly starter and nothing else for the first two hours of the game. That soured my mood a bit. Then there was the dismal random encounter rate - I put the game down for nearly a week because of how aggravating Chargestone Cave was - and it felt to me like the game was just trying to draw attention to how pretty it was and not its new features. There were hardly any Triple or Rotation battles to speak of, I never really connected with any of these supposedly well-developed NPCs, after Gen IV it just felt like a step backwards to me. I didn't much enjoy my time in Black, and Black 2 wasn't much better...although I did find that easier to play and enjoy.

Generation VI

Describe Me: Intriguing.
To-be Starter: Fennekin.
To-be Second Partner: Fletchling, unless there is a three-stage Normal/Flying type floating around.
To-be Shining Moment: I have high hopes for the soundtrack, if that counts?
Favorite Legendary: I prefer Xerneas, even if looking at it puts A****aka's theme in my head.
Summary: I am really, really excited for this generation. I've loved (or at least been able to forgive...Doublade is no worse than Vanillite, or dare I say it, Magneton and Dugtrio) the new Pokemon revealed, and whilst I'm extremely skeptical and cynical about things that look too good to be true, this looks to "put Pokemon back on track" for me; that is, make me enjoy it as much as I did with Gen IV. It could look better, but the lack of graphical polish is a good thing in my mind, because it implies more effort has been made with gameplay, and the new mechanics so far look intriguing, if nothing else. I'm hoping they've balanced the game out, and I'm looking forward to exploring that. In short, I've not seen anything yet to put me off, so I'm going to remain perhaps recklessly optimistic.

Back