• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is it morally wrong to hurt Audino?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Time for one of Black and White's favourite types of threads: Audino threads. But this one is slightly different, concentrating on whether it's wrong or right to hurt Audino.

Audino, the friendly pink creature of Black and White is always willing to help out a trainer. But! More often than not, the tables are turned on this adorable little creature; when you attack it, it uses Heal Pulse on you, or Simple Beam, or something to that effect. You then hit it again, leaving the defenseless little creature with nothing to do other than offer to heal you again. You start to feel slightly guilty, but still, you deal the final blow to Audino.

In most cases like this, Audino will continue to heal you while you continue to hurt it. Do you think this is morally right or not? Let's just exclude the fact that it's just a Pokemon for a moment and think about it seriously.

Is it morally wrong to hurt this creature when all it wants to do is heal you? Discuss and debate this with your fellow members! Bring up as many points as you can in this debate! You may also use images you've found online demonstrating your point of view - just use four words with it.

On a side note, you're also free to discuss whether you personally feel guilty and whether that has an impact on your view in regards to this.

Whipped cream tail.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
tumblr_lxkec7FJJW1r69ljqo1_500.png

I'll start by posting the inspiration of the thread.

I don't think it is morally wrong to hurt Audino. I do think it is more wrong to hurt it more than other Pokémon (Shiftry) because of how kind it is to you, but it still isn't wrong enough to hurt it. I like to think of Audino as a very kind Pokémon, generously giving itself up, in order to make others stronger. I could imagine a family of Audino, with the elder Audino letting the young ones defeat them, so they can grow stronger, and then they all heal each other afterwards. I think what makes it more wrong than others to defeat is how it helps you with Heal Pulse, how much it gets picked on, how defenceless it is and it's cute little whipped cream tail.

After a while of training, I do start to feel a bit guilty. Mainly because I ignore the other Pokémon and only defeat Audino.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
It's just a Pokemon *shot*

Well, look at it this way. There are also Doctor and Nurse trainers who also exist to heal your Pokemon, but they want you to battle them and in fact won't heal you until you defeat them. Now, I'm not stating this is fact, but there is a possiblilty that Audino has the same opinion... you must battle it in order to take advantage of its healing powers. Maybe you have to prove yourself by not falling for its cute facade and go at it full-on in order to be deemed worthy of a Heal Pulse from it.

At least that's what I tell myself so I don't feel guilty lol

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
In my opinion, it isn't wrong. Its just like fighting other specific Pokemon all the time when you are EV training your Pokemon. Like the other day I killed like 30 Lillipup. Sure they're cute, but you have to do it. x]

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015

Well, look at it this way. There are also Doctor and Nurse trainers who also exist to heal your Pokemon, but they want you to battle them and in fact won't heal you until you defeat them. Now, I'm not stating this is fact, but there is a possiblilty that Audino has the same opinion... you must battle it in order to take advantage of its healing powers. Maybe you have to prove yourself by not falling for its cute facade and go at it full-on in order to be deemed worthy of a Heal Pulse from it.

/thread

This is the closest that I could get for a response in this. I'd like to bring up one other point: If beating Audinos into a bloody pulp is considered morally wrong, then shouldn't fighting & killing those infant Pokémon (Elekid, Smoochum, Azurill, etc.) also be wrong from a moral standpoint?

Years
This kinda reminds me of the whole animal argument like "AH! Don't kill the cute fluffy dog/cat/horse/other popular animal while I go eat my pork chop"

People feel worse about hurting/killing cute things because of how society raised us to coo over and coddle them. Personally I don't feel worse about fainting an Audino than a Tropus, because they're all Pokemon.

And like Blade_of_Darkness said, I think the real shame should come from fainting a baby/low level Pokemon that really can't defend itself. Audino just chooses to help you out is all, it could just as easily use Slap and fight back. (? Can they learn that? I'll go look).

Edit - Well, they can use Pound from the start. Ok.

Last edited:

Ritzz

Bazinga
Years
The concept to me isn't wrong, but the fact that we're hunting this single species of pokemon does make it seem rather mean. :c

Besides, I can barely find Audinos in the wild. So I have less sympathy for them, since they aren't being harmed by me haha.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Sometimes I feel bad about harming any pokemon but the thing to remember is that pokemon love to battle. They were born to do it. If I encountered an audino I'd probably battle it with a severely weak pokemon in my party like a baby pokemon.

If Pokemon were real however I doubt I'd ever fight an audino because it seems so sweet. I think I'd have an issue with pokemon battles in general IRL but since it's just a video game and the Pokemon sustain no real damage I'm ok with it.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
If we don't kill it something else will. Survival of the fittest Lol

But, in real life when faced with a creature not trying to hurt me, not even just minding it's own business, but going out of it's way to help me? I would never try to harm it, for I am neither an awful person, or a violent sociopath

Years
Game mechanics give you a big reward for knocking Audino out, but I can't see that actually doing anything to help train your own Pokemon if Pokemon were even remotely realistic. If it weren't a game and more like real life or even the anime then it would be really hard to justify beating up on them. It's not likely that you're fighting them off in self-defense. (They aren't exactly harmful.)

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2012
This is exactly the kind of thinking that Team Plasma grunts had when they were recruited as tools for world domination. They're all left wing liberal fools. If we're thinking of this in a realistic sense, then it should be obvious that Audino's HAVE the right to run, or simply deny the fact that they even want to battle at all. Unless there's some evil 3rd party that bends their will and works independently from us that forces them to battle, then no, this is not wrong at all. But also, since when did the human race ever think about it before killing inferior species in order to further its petty wishes? 5 bucks all of you have eaten a variation of chicken within the past month. It's not a question of right or wrong, it's a matter of progression and the quickest way to reach the oh so beloved number one hundred.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Uhhh no lol? Audino is just another Pokémon. I believe Chansey wants to heal people too but it gets beaten up plenty of times!! it is just game data

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HI GUYS TIME FOR REPLIES. Remember this "discussion" is all in fun. :) And not to take anything said offensively, etc.

Also, I'm only referring to the anime to back up my points in general - in most B/W threads unless you're debating/discussing something like this, then the anime isn't really suited to be mentioned.

Audino can't talk, how do we know that Audino does have the same motives as doctors/nurses? Also that last part sounds kind of... unlikely.

This is the closest that I could get for a response in this. I'd like to bring up one other point: If beating Audinos into a bloody pulp is considered morally wrong, then shouldn't fighting & killing those infant Pokémon (Elekid, Smoochum, Azurill, etc.) also be wrong from a moral standpoint?

Sure but again: these Pokemon want to fight, Audino doesn't.

Shouldn't it be wrong to kill any cute Pokemon too then?

Even if Audino was still ugly, it'd still want to heal you, how its designed shouldn't make a difference. :(

This kinda reminds me of the whole animal argument like "AH! Don't kill the cute fluffy dog/cat/horse/other popular animal while I go eat my pork chop"

People feel worse about hurting/killing cute things because of how society raised us to coo over and coddle them. Personally I don't feel worse about fainting an Audino than a Tropus, because they're all Pokemon.

And like Blade_of_Darkness said, I think the real shame should come from fainting a baby/low level Pokemon that really can't defend itself. Audino just chooses to help you out is all, it could just as easily use Slap and fight back. (? Can they learn that? I'll go look).

Edit - Well, they can use Pound from the start. Ok.

A Tropius doesn't try to heal you when you're hurt, a Tropius doesn't have something that makes life easier for you in-game. Aaand while it can fight back, maybe most Audino's are taught not to fight by other Audino's, considering their main role is to help others. Kinda like oh let's say Pikachu in the Mewtwo movie where it could fight back against the clone, but chose not to, and as a result had to suffer. Audino isn't known to run away mid-battle, either...

Sometimes I feel bad about harming any pokemon but the thing to remember is that pokemon love to battle. They were born to do it. If I encountered an audino I'd probably battle it with a severely weak pokemon in my party like a baby pokemon.

If Pokemon were real however I doubt I'd ever fight an audino because it seems so sweet. I think I'd have an issue with pokemon battles in general IRL but since it's just a video game and the Pokemon sustain no real damage I'm ok with it.

That's why I said forget it's a Pokemon game, and rather think in general, and at that point it does seem wrong, really. And no, not all Pokemon love to battle, it has been proved various times throughout both games and anime where Pokemon have simply not wanted to fight.

If we don't kill it something else will. Survival of the fittest Lol

But, in real life when faced with a creature not trying to hurt me, not even just minding it's own business, but going out of it's way to help me? I would never try to harm it, for I am neither an awful person, or a violent sociopath

Not really - in-game you don't know whether wild Pokemon do hurt other wild Pokemon in Unova, I certainly haven't heard any cases of it. What if humans are the only ones that are doing this?

Game mechanics give you a big reward for knocking Audino out, but I can't see that actually doing anything to help train your own Pokemon if Pokemon were even remotely realistic. If it weren't a game and more like real life or even the anime then it would be really hard to justify beating up on them. It's not likely that you're fighting them off in self-defense. (They aren't exactly harmful.)

But why are you rewarded? Why is it something that should be praised (hurting such an innocent Pokemon)? Is it that we lack Team Rocket so as a result WE are the bad guys?

If anything, we should just hunt them out and KO them.

Why?

This is exactly the kind of thinking that Team Plasma grunts had when they were recruited as tools for world domination. They're all left wing liberal fools. If we're thinking of this in a realistic sense, then it should be obvious that Audino's HAVE the right to run, or simply deny the fact that they even want to battle at all. Unless there's some evil 3rd party that bends their will and works independently from us that forces them to battle, then no, this is not wrong at all. But also, since when did the human race ever think about it before killing inferior species in order to further its petty wishes? 5 bucks all of you have eaten a variation of chicken within the past month. It's not a question of right or wrong, it's a matter of progression and the quickest way to reach the oh so beloved number one hundred.

In regards to the last part: We don't eat Audino. We eat meat. Your point? It's not like killing Audino helps you survive in-game, especially when there are LOADS of trainers and Nimbasa provides many. What does that say about life, take the easy way out instead of fight for what's right?

Uhhh no lol? Audino is just another Pokémon. I believe Chansey wants to heal people too but it gets beaten up plenty of times!! it is just game data

Chansey never actually does heal people when you battle it though, only in a hospital setting. This makes me think that those Chanseys in particular are domesticated, but normal ones aren't, while Audino is kind wherever it is.

Years
An Audino is a live piñata: the more you beat it up, the more candy you get. Doing anything else with it is just prolonging the time till you have candy. And no one wants that.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
IMO, it's not morally wrong to hurt Audino. Free healing is always a good thing when I'm fighting them. Even though I don't battle them often, the reason is that they provide HP EVs (which I don't need in most cases), and the only time I battle them is when my Pokemon are fully EV trained and I need loads of EXP.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
I do have the feeling of guilt sitting in the back of my mind when I am bringing Audino's HP down. D: So I do see it morally wrong to KO Audino when it is being so helpful. I'm sort of thankful I don't see Audino regularly in the wild, because if they were more common that may mean I would adjust to knocking them out and begin feeling less empathy (each time) for knocking them out.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Shouldn't it be wrong to kill any cute Pokemon too then?

It's not that Audino is necessarily 'cute' because any Pokémon can be debated as cute. Whether you think of Corsola or Grimer as cute, it doesn't make it wrong to battle them. The main problem is how Audino is 'targeted' and how it is usually the only Pokémon defeated in its area, with all the other Pokémon just being ran away from, left unharmed. Another problem is how it heals you, as if it is trying to make friends, and you just shut it down anyway.

Bankaiglade

Rainbow Trainer
Years
It's not that Audino is necessarily 'cute' because any Pokémon can be debated as cute. Whether you think of Corsola or Grimer as cute, it doesn't make it wrong to battle them. The main problem is how Audino is 'targeted' and how it is usually the only Pokémon defeated in its area, with all the other Pokémon just being ran away from, left unharmed. Another problem is how it heals you, as if it is trying to make friends, and you just shut it down anyway.
Nah...I only think killing one thats weaker than your other pokemon is wrong...

Back