• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Developing] Pokemon Dawn & Dusk Versions

Name Change

• Total voters

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
A truly great game uses its own tiles. Look at any of the popular games here: Forever Lost, Garnet, Pristine, etc.

They all made their own tiles. Obviously you are still a beginner at spriting, so I'm not expecting you to be able to do that. Some things you could always do is go on google images and search "custom pokemon tiles", or you can go on deviantart.com and search for "pokemon tiles".

The style you pick is your choice, but be aware that by mixing too many different tiles made by others will look bad, as they all have their own style.

Now, I'm not saying it can't be a great game without custom tiles, but it helps by giving it originality. Pokémon Lightning Yellow, for example, uses the HGSS Style. It's all a matter of personal preference, so choose what YOU want, not what others want. You do this for fun, right? Not the fame.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Any idea if r/s/e is done in hgss style because im looking for it to look 3rd gen in a new style?
I don't know, but 3rd Gen tiles in an other style don't look like 3rd Gen tiles. Or it is just me.

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but really? Did it take you 3 hours to open a sprite, choose a (standard!) color, click on the Paint Bucket tool and then click the main, red color of your sprite? maybe it did take you 3 hours to make it, but time isn't an effective way to degree quality at all. I can spend 24 hours on spriting a square of 4x4 pixels too, but the fact I've spent 24 hours on it doesn't make it look good.

And, if your game looks bad because you're using a starterkit, that's not an excuse at all. Look at pretty much every game in the showcase: Almost all are based on Essentials, just like yours. But do they look bad? Not at all.

About your characters, why does Gold have a new name and what exactly is he doing in your game? It doesn't make sense, and I'm sure you didn't even sprite it yourself. Meleny has been discussed by others before, it just looks horrible. Professor Willow looks great, especially compared to the other sprites, but guess what? It isn't yours. I am not even going to discuss Ashley.

Your maps really need work, they are way to open.

Also, I suggest not googling images and use them in your game. The forest background doesn't look Pokemon-ish at all. And it isn't a custom PokeDex, it's just a RSE one with one different color and a googled background that doesn't look nice at all in combination with the UI of the Dex.

Again, excuse me if I sounded rude, but this game doesn't belong in the showcase. In my opinion, this game can't be compared to others here.

If you want to, I can give you some help when it comes to Game Development. Feel free to PM me with questions.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
sorry to say this but I dont like this game at all, and its quality is below the normal standards for the showcase. How did this even get approved? You need to work on your graphics your story.. just keep working on everything i'm sure it will get better....

Aénex

It seems that everyone has been discussing, but I have yet to reply to this. XD

Read all the comments and im working on a new professor sprite and as for meleny that is not may don't you people read pokemon adventures. As for the boulders that has been fixed. As for Kim and Jay kim is okay jay is getting a new overworld sprite. Also as for team i worked on this for 6 months + and don't need help at all. As for everyone else who has things to say don't unless its to tell me how good im doing i had 7 people test this and my main tester said i did everything okay. And ???? is not your main rival and that building is yet to be completed and tile errors will be fixed forgot to when i upgraded to new version of starter kit. And as for my starters i picked the 3 i wanted anybody got a problem then i will no longer update this page and finish this on my own.

Sorry but rudeness won't help you create a game. Sure, I don't read Pokémon Adventures, but I know for a fact that 'Meleny' is character that has already been used. Are you JUST giving Jay a new overworld sprite, because their sprites need to be changed, not just overworlds. Just because you've been working on this for six months doesn't you 'don't need help at all'. Brian Cox doesn't do his programmes all by himself, or he'd get lost near the start of the process. Never turn down help, that's what can make your game even better. Other people have the right to say what they want, and just because you've had 7 testers, the main one saying your game was 'ok' doesn't mean you have nothing to worry. That's 7 people opposed to hundreds or thousands that are wanting to see a really good game. Also yes, I do have a problem with the starters you've chosen. I won't have a problem if you have chosen those starters logically and looked over that decision, but if not, I advise you go do that now.

I'm not trying to be rude to you, no one was, but if you're going to turn our advice down, then maybe that's the road you've decided you want us to guide you down.

nniwllehctim

Perfectionist (Spelling?) xD
Years
Yeah. If ou dont mind spending a bit of time you can recolour the tileset to HGSS pallete. I might help later if i have free time, wot be too hard.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
How is there 2 versions of this? Whats the differences?

I have some poorly designed graphis in my game too... Reassurance that you are willing to listen and you will get better...

I'm with everyone else, try not to use original characters as your mains, with different names, try to create your own, or even get help, some people are willing tho whip up a quick character and throw it your way, IF, they see this game as promising... Using a LASS however as a story lined character should be avoided...

The thing about custom regions is, it is not a redesign of anything, it's completely new;

Pokémon
Main characters
Starters
Gym Leaders
Town/city, names
Professors.

Try and keep it unique...

Take a second and look at your map when you've created it, it's unlikely this or these, games will ever get finished when you're redoing everything you've already done, map errors are horrible and bad mapping is worse than that, there is nothing worse that a building you've got to use a bicycle to explore, make the maps smaller...

The list of problems could probably go on and on and on, but, take all this critism and turn into making your game better, this is your first project, why ttry and make 2 games when you're failing at lot's of other things... This will not be completed for a while yet, take your time... I can't imgaine how much all the bad reports have made you feel... It's only help in the long run...

Nevertheless, someone did say make the game how you want it, do that, I believe a poorly designed game, with a good story, plot and eventing, makes the bad graphically designed part irrelevant... Some prefer graphics, you can't please everybody!

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
Look at the description and i will admit i may need help but who has the time to help me b/c i need to know i have people i can count on to meet deadlines and such?

nniwllehctim

Perfectionist (Spelling?) xD
Years
that would work but dose it have the tiles im using in sanyare and indigo?

You may have to look into that some more, I have one for indoors, one for out doors. I'm busy ATM so I'll give you it tomorrow probably. I'm Pacific Standard Time (West Coast U.S.)

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
okay i can wait for it i may add the two buildings that im using a trainer hall and battle center and the contest hall.

Last edited:

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
With help from Limanya i would like to show my new female player.

h4U7u.png

How dose she look?

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2012
Interesting choice to use Chikorita as a starter.... Personally, I like Chikorita, but it's also one of the least popular starters in the franchise.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
Been working on this a bit more i need help im looking for someone to make sprites and a scripter if needed not sure i want to add any yet. May need a mapper and a few other people pm if you want to help as i want sun and moon to improve and i now relize i can't do this alone so im asking for help and yes we can upgrade to hg/ss as long as i can still use a few things from 3rd gen of Pokemon any way hope to get some responses soon and yes i have new heroes they just need sprites so for now they will stay as is.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
Since you guys wanted custom players i got a buddy of mine to make some tell me which color scheme you like.

vssprites.png

or

vssprites2.png

Your input is important to me.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Definetly the top ones, shading is a lot better.

the guy looks weird though. his eyes are weirdly positioned, the left side eye should be raised a bit, imo.

Last edited:

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
thanks i will use the top set anybody good at making sprites i need both a bike and running sprite as well as a fishing sprite i already have the walking sprite.

Back