• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tri-Types in Gen VI?

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Something I Have always though would be call was the abillity to Have 3 Types on a Pokemon

for example

Magneton is Electric/Steel type
to me If we had Tri-Typing it would be Electric/Steel/Flying this way it is not effected by ground type moves seeing as Magneton Physically floats in the air

What do you guys think?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Then it would be very unbalanced, if some Pokemon gained a third typing, they would be immune or resistant to most move then. It would mess up the battles.

I think dual type is alright the way it is.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As interesting as this sounds, I'm giving a thumbs down on this. Type advantages/disadvantages would start becoming more complex if this happened. Mono- and dual-typings are just fine for me, thanks.

Years
PlatinumDude is right, having triple typings would really mess up the current type chart.

Also, it would become too complex to understand all the weaknesses and resistances.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
I think it's an okay idea, I've seen it suggested before and thought about it a fair bit; I doubt it would be so unbalanced simply by giving some Pokemon an extra type, it's not all that complicated, really, I'd like somone to explain how it would imbalance things so awfully. The positives are that there's more diversity in the game, and also adds more options to deal with Pokemon receiving a third type.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
I'm going to say no purely on the fact that it would mess with my box sorting. I sort based on type, and I have a hard enough time trying to decide where the dual types belong sometimes! Plus, what about the previous 649 pokemon? Are any of those going to get tri-typing?

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
-snip- Plus, what about the previous 649 pokemon? -snip-
Im sure they would

Magneton - Electric/Steel/Flying? (It floats ffs it should be immune to ground) (Same with Magnemite and Magnezone)
Reshiram - Dragon/Fire/Light?
Zekrom - Dragon/Fire/Dark?

I dont know

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I think it'd be simpler to give Magneton Levitate haha, rather than change the mechanics of the whole game. But seriously, you'd have like x6 effectiveness which would be insane.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think it'd be simpler to give Magneton Levitate haha, rather than change the mechanics of the whole game. But seriously, you'd have like x6 effectiveness which would be insane.

If all three had the same weakness, like a Fire/Rock/Electric type, that would be x8 weakness not x6. Its not x2 for each weakness, its literally, Fire? x2 =2 Add Electric x2 = 4 add rock x2 = 8.

There are a lot of Pokemon that can OHKO with x2 damage and some with resistances against the attacks when built right. Its just overkill to add third typings.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Perhaps if the Pokemon were to gain A Tri-Typing then the New Third type would have no Effect on Damage Weakness

It would only add in the Move Immunities and Resistances this way a Pokemon Can't be 8x Weak to a Move Instead we can see things that are Like 8x Resistant to a Move Maybe we will see Dual Type Move's Maybe More Elemental Tackle's (Seeing as we already have Volt Tackle)
Maybe Moves with Higher Base Power than 250 (Explosion has Base Power of 250) Perhaps some form of Ultimate Power giving the pokemon extreme power :D

EDIT:
I think there should be selective tri-types. Such as Charizard. it should be Dragon/Flying/Fire

Yes I Agree Charizard should be Fire/Flying/Dragon

Perhaps Delta Species (Electric type Feraligatr anyone) (<-- Thats the main one I remember from the Delta TCG Set)

Years
No, I don't think it's a good idea. Not only would type matchups get more confusing, but there's too many Pokemon at this point to go around changing types.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
No, I don't think it's a good idea. Not only would type matchups get more confusing, but there's too many Pokemon at this point to go around changing types.

Nintendo Could do it easily it wouldn't take that long maybe 3 Hours at most
And anyway only few specific pokemon really need Tri-Typing EG: The pokemon that are floating in the air (or have wings) And are not flying type nor have the levitate abillity and are also dual type (EG: Volcarona and Magneton) That would Make the game's more Logical I Mean seriously How can a Magneton be affected by a Ground type move if it is Floating in the air?

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
There are a lot of Pokemon that can OHKO with x2 damage and some with resistances against the attacks when built right. Its just overkill to add third typings.
I'm not seeing a problem, it's already pretty balanced with two types, where you can potentially have 4x weakness or resistance, yet the game isn't completely destroyed because some Pokemon are decimated by one attack from anything.

This. And really, what would the point of tri-typing be, anyway? Can you imagine a grass/water/fire type? What would that even look like?
They'd only need to apply triple types to Pokemon that need it, not make a new design for every single possible type combination in the game. I don't see your point.

Three hours to change 17 years worth of work? Adding another type just over complicates things, would make most battles boring and would signal my leave from Pokemon.
Adding an extra type here and there isn't "Changing seventeen years worth of work". What he means is actually applying the change, and it's not like they'd have to give every single Pokemon a third type, just a bunch of them; Dustox, Magnezone, Volcarona, etc. And could you explain how it would over complicate things, and make battles more boring?

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
Er...
No way.
But seriously though.
Tri types = too complicated.
Dual types are good enough, tri types would make 8x weakness.
If this happened, I'll be talking about the good ol' days when pokemon used to be fun.
Let's take another look at that.

Dual types: Makes the game more interesting by adding more weaknesses and resistances.

Tri types: Makes the game too complicated, imagine a Ground/Flying/Steel type. That's 3 immunities. And if you saw a Grass/Fire/Water type... that would look wrong.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Uhh..nope. I wouldn't like that change at all.. Three types would just take the whole complication of Pokemon to a whole new level and this will be indeed a hard thing to get used to or to understand. I like the games just the way it is with dual-typed Pokemon as the maximum, thank you very much.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
No point in making the games more complex. Casual players wouldn't like it. There already is a lot of stuff like EVs and IVs. The games should get more complex as the generations go but not like adding nonsense like IVs. It should be done by expanding explorable world and adding more mini-games maybe, more playable content.

Btw, I'm not compaining about content in new generation games. I like them and there were always something to do. I didn't need to pointlessly grind like earlier games.

Back