• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legitimacy- over 9000

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
Years
A couple of years ago, I came across a pack of approx 120 cards for just 4 dollars at the regional market near my house. I didn't suspect a thing, having a fairly naive nature. When I opened the pack, I started noticing little things here and there. First, the cards had a dusty look to them because they weren't as vividly colored as regular cards. Then I realized that there were no trainer, supporter, stadium, or energy cards, and the Pokemon were all really rare. The holofoil was messed up, the cards were covered in typos, at least 15 of them weren't from DP Stormfront like they were supposed to be, in the end I felt cheated as my dad said they were probably Chinese ripoffs. (btw, why do people always say ripoffs are from China?)

When I went to NYC last year, I visited Chinatown. I saw lots of Pokemon stuff there too. There were cheap boxes of cards that looked like the fake ones I had and really cheap Pokemon plushies that didn't look very well made. There was also a lot of questionable Yu-Gi-oh cards and Tokidoki handbags.

I have always liked to hear about cheap rip-offs - don't ask me why cause I don't know. But I wanted to ask if anyone else has run into Pokemon rip-offs. That includes games, cards, and anything with the name Pokemon. I'd like to hear about it! :)

Sirfetch’d

Can't say I have, but you are extremely lucky to have only paid 4 dollars:) 120 Cards would normally run more than that. even rip-offs:) I have heard of multiple people stumbling upon rom hacks transferred to a game before and sold though, but that is it.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
My first Pokemon cards were fakes (and this was my introduction to Pokemon btw).

I also have a Pikachu clock and several Pokemon figurines that are knock-offs as well.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They have a Downloadable game on the 3DS and DSi called Crystal Monsters that is a Pokemon Knock off.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For me, I've got many fakes of Pokemon cards. I even have a whole box of them! Well, I'd assume so, because most of the cards inside that box I mentioned had some mistakes. Well, there are a few that looked as if they're real. For games, I actually have two Pokemon fakes -- Emerald, which looked fake from the box (and yet I ignored the grammatical mistakes in the box, thought it was normal) and FireRed, which looks fake from the cartridge (I don't have the box).

Back