• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I swear everything is out to get me today...

ConnectionFail.jpg

Why won't this connection work? I can go From top to bottom, but as soon as I'm in the bottom map the connection then fails and you can't go back to the top. They are perfectly aligned.

If you then go in to a building (bottom map) and go back to the connection you can't even see the other map, it just becomes border tiles.

Hating on A-Map

I'm just taking a stab in the dark, but it might have to do with the offsets being odd numbers. It might just be me, but usually when i make the offsets odd numbers, glitchy stuff happens.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Does anyone know the HGSS tile size (In pixels), the biggest OW I can find is 23 pixels across but i'm not sure...

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
Okay, here I go again with two more basic questions:

Is it possible to implement a shared double battle (such as the one alongside Steven in the Space Center in Emerald) in a LeafGreen hack?

This one may sound silly, but can you reassign ROM data space from one type of data to another - so, for example, say I wanted to remove 100 pokemon from my Emerald ROM altogether and free up their data; could I use that extra room to add additional maps?

Thanks in advance.
HoscoFelix (GGSD)

PS
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
So, I created two stairs (one up, one down) in Advance Map. The same stairs as in the Celadon Mansion and exactly the same location of the warp tile (directly before the stairs), the same movement permissions around the stairs (1's and C's), yet, when I want to go use the warp, it just behaves as an obstacle instead of stairs. I just walk against the stairs, I don't go up (or down).

How do I fix this?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
So, I created two stairs (one up, one down) in Advance Map. The same stairs as in the Celadon Mansion and exactly the same location of the warp tile (directly before the stairs), the same movement permissions around the stairs (1's and C's), yet, when I want to go use the warp, it just behaves as an obstacle instead of stairs. I just walk against the stairs, I don't go up (or down).

How do I fix this?

You need to use the correct sort of tile in order to use stairs. If you look at the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion the tile that is on the same space as the warp is different to all of the other tiles that look like it nearby - Instead of being tile 0x282, it is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, just make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte and place it next to the stairs :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
You need to use the correct sort of tile in order to use stairs. If you look at the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion the tile that is on the same space as the warp is different to all of the other tiles that look like it nearby - Instead of being tile 0x282, it is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, just make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte and place it next to the stairs :)

I have no idea where to find those 0x282 things, but the part I did understand explained enough. I changed one tile because the shade wasn't to my liking and that ruined my entire stairs apparently. Thank you!

Edit: I did find the 0x6C, 0x6D things, which makes my life sooooo much easier. Again, thanks!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Okay, here I go again with two more basic questions:

Is it possible to implement a shared double battle (such as the one alongside Steven in the Space Center in Emerald) in a LeafGreen hack?

This one may sound silly, but can you reassign ROM data space from one type of data to another - so, for example, say I wanted to remove 100 pokemon from my Emerald ROM altogether and free up their data; could I use that extra room to add additional maps?

Thanks in advance.
HoscoFelix (GGSD)

PS
Spoiler:

It is possible, but simply extracting ASM from R/S/E and placing it in FR/LG won't be a guarantee that it will work. You will definitely have to tinker with it or code it from the ground up, which will be difficult since ASM is the most advanced form of Pokemon hacking.

Ehh... You could probably do that, but it could definitely be troublesome, especially when you're working with tools which could become garbled when they try to read the data. It would be far easier to just work with what you have. Besides, deleting 100 or so Pokemon wouldn't really provide that much free space in the end, plus it won't result in one large block of free space, but several smaller ones dotted throughout the ROM.

We have a map rating and review thread, as well as a storyline one, but unfortunately there really isn't a place to get a general consensus on a variety of things. The closest thing I can think of that would fit what you're asking for (apart from the two previous threads I linked) would be the ROM Hacking Discussions thread if you phrased things in a way so that it could become a starting point for a discussion and not necessarily pertain solely to you and your circumstances.

I have no idea where to find those 0x282 things, but the part I did understand explained enough. I changed one tile because the shade wasn't to my liking and that ruined my entire stairs apparently. Thank you!

Edit: I did find the 0x6C, 0x6D things, which makes my life sooooo much easier. Again, thanks!

No problem, I'm glad it all worked out :)

You can see the number of the tile (0x282) by hovering your mouse over a tile on the map or in the side bar. Its number should appear in the bottom left corner of Advance Map, along with its X and Y coordinates.

redriders180

Years
I have just two questions:

1) Does anyone know what the largest value a variable can hold is?

2) Do the 0x8000 family of variables retain their value when a script is called to completion, or is everything erased? Essentially, are the 0x8000 family of variables permanent or not?

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
How would I go about making sprites for Pokemon Gold and Crystal?

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
Havin' a lovely little problem that I didn't notice until pretty late. I made a new game, looked in the truck, aaand... Brendan's palettes were messed up. In different ways, depending on the scene.

In the truck, outside of the truck, and on the first floor of his house (until his clock is set), he had three different palettes--neither of which were the correct one. The palette works fine in the second floor of your house, and seems to fix itself completely after you set the clock. Oddly, starting the game as May does not present this problem.

Anyone have an idea as to what it could be? I'm stumped.

redriders180

Years
Havin' a lovely little problem that I didn't notice until pretty late. I made a new game, looked in the truck, aaand... Brendan's palettes were messed up. In different ways, depending on the scene.

In the truck, outside of the truck, and on the first floor of his house (until his clock is set), he had three different palettes--neither of which were the correct one. The palette works fine in the second floor of your house, and seems to fix itself completely after you set the clock. Oddly, starting the game as May does not present this problem.

Anyone have an idea as to what it could be? I'm stumped.

I don't know if this is helpful, but it looks like the game is taking the Pallate of other OWs and mistaking them for Brendans... In the first picture you showed, it took on the pallate of the moving van, and in the second, it took on the color of the Vigoroth. As for fixing it, I'm as lost as you; When my player gets near a Mew Sprite, it randomly takes on the Mew's colors. It might have something to do with the game loading palates of the other OWs before loading Brendans pallate. A viable option is to remove the Vigoroth and the Moving Van, but that might not be practical in the long run, seeing as I don't know what your planning for the beginning.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2012
Hey can someone help me with pokemon fire red title screen?
the thing I need to know is how to make a animated title screen.
ZAINheroOFtime

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Hey can someone help me with pokemon fire red title screen?
the thing I need to know is how to make a animated title screen.
ZAINheroOFtime
That's difficult, but it's being worked on in the Research and Developement forum. Check this link.

Does anyone know the script command after you get your starter pokemon, when you press start and have the pokemon choice there?

Yeah, it's a flag, but different for each game.
FireRed:
Code:
setflag 0x828
Ruby/Sapphire:
Code:
setflag 0x800
Emerald:
Code:
setflag 0x860

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2012
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am decently new to rom hacking so please don't be too harsh.
Here is my problem:
I am using advance map 1.92. I am editing Fire red. While creating a Poke mart I added a person event. The sprite shows up in advance map but when I play the rom to test it, the sprite is no where to be found. How can I fix this?

Another problem I have encountered:
Same rom and same program.
I am experimenting with scripting using pokescript.
I made a basic movement script where the hero follows. The script works fine but the person I assigned the script to is in the wrong position. In advance map it shows the person where I want them. When I test the rom in VBA the person is moved to a different x/y coordinate. I have no clue. It is almost like a glitch.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? If so, how did you fix it?
Thanks in advance for help..
P.S. I am using a custom made map.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I have just two questions:

1) Does anyone know what the largest value a variable can hold is?

2) Do the 0x8000 family of variables retain their value when a script is called to completion, or is everything erased? Essentially, are the 0x8000 family of variables permanent or not?

1.) A variable is made up of 2 bytes. Essentially this means that they can hold anything ranging from 0x0 to 0xFFFF.

2.) The first few variables of the 0x8000 family should be able to hold their values, but the later ones in the first 16 will not (e.g 0x800D, 0x800F). In FR the 0x4000 family retain their variables, not sure about R/S/E but there should also be other families that remain the same. There are some variables that could overwrite other things (Pokemon on the PC, Day Care Centre Pokemon etc.) which you can see in a huge discussion that starts on the second page of the R&D Quick Research and Development Thread.

Is it possible to save separate maps as a .map file for example in Advance Map?

Oh absolutely. Open the map that you want to save and go to 'File > Map > Save Map As...' then save the resulting .map file. When you open the map in another ROM you can edit and save it again if you've made any changes, but you will have to reinsert it in order for it to be in the new ROM permanently.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am decently new to rom hacking so please don't be too harsh.
Here is my problem:
I am using advance map 1.92. I am editing Fire red. While creating a Poke mart I added a person event. The sprite shows up in advance map but when I play the rom to test it, the sprite is no where to be found. How can I fix this?

Another problem I have encountered:
Same rom and same program.
I am experimenting with scripting using pokescript.
I made a basic movement script where the hero follows. The script works fine but the person I assigned the script to is in the wrong position. In advance map it shows the person where I want them. When I test the rom in VBA the person is moved to a different x/y coordinate. I have no clue. It is almost like a glitch.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? If so, how did you fix it?
Thanks in advance for help..
P.S. I am using a custom made map.

Are there any other NPCs that share the 'Person Event No' of the person you want to move? Are there any level scripts in your maps? Do they have anything in their 'Person ID' boxes?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2012
TO DRFUJI:
The person I want to move is currently the only person on the map. I have 3 warps (to go in the buildings) and this one person event so far. When I talk to the person the script works and I follow them. The NPC is just located on the wrong spot of the map. The person ID number is 0000. I would attach photos; however, I am on an iPhone. I don't know what a "level script" is so I'm guessing that I don't have any. Unless level script refers to the movement permissions.
Thanks again for help!!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
TO DRFUJI:
The person I want to move is currently the only person on the map. I have 3 warps (to go in the buildings) and this one person event so far. When I talk to the person the script works and I follow them. The NPC is just located on the wrong spot of the map. The person ID number is 0000. I would attach photos; however, I am on an iPhone. I don't know what a "level script" is so I'm guessing that I don't have any. Unless level script refers to the movement permissions.
Thanks again for help!!

You can see if you map has a level script by going into Advance Map's Header tab and scrolling down to the section that says "Map Script" - There you should find a button that allows you to open a script (if you do in fact have a level script active on that map). Anyway, if you don't have a level script that is operating on the map, try creating another person on your map and transfer your movement script to them so that they take the place of the person even which is acting strangely. It won't be a perfect fix, but hopefully you'll be able to have your script play out the way you want.

If this new person event also doesn't show up on the map where expected (and there wasn't any level script), then I'd suspect that there is something wrong with the ROM you are using.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2012
You can see if you map has a level script by going into Advance Map's Header tab and scrolling down to the section that says "Map Script" - There you should find a button that allows you to open a script (if you do in fact have a level script active on that map). Anyway, if you don't have a level script that is operating on the map, try creating another person on your map and transfer your movement script to them so that they take the place of the person even which is acting strangely. It won't be a perfect fix, but hopefully you'll be able to have your script play out the way you want.

If this new person event also doesn't show up on the map where expected (and there wasn't any level script), then I'd suspect that there is something wrong with the ROM you are using.

Thank you so much!!
I did a little bit of everything you said and it fixed it as soon as I added a new person to the map. After the problem seemed to be resolved I gave a simple message script to the new person and let the original person (the one causing all the problems) have the movement script.
Thank you for your time!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back