• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
has anyone had a successful Tailwind team?
Tailwind teams are rarely successful in singles, it runs out quickly and only benefits your team slightly. Trick Room is far superior if you want to run some bulkier and slower sweepers. Tailwind Ho-Oh is one of the 'viable' sets I've seen. If you're looking for doubles help then yeah ask someone else haha.

Granted Tailwind can catch people off so it's not entirely useless. It's just harder to run then conventional teams.

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Tailwind teams are rarely successful in singles, it runs out quickly and only benefits your team slightly. Trick Room is far superior if you want to run some bulkier and slower sweepers. Tailwind Ho-Oh is one of the 'viable' sets I've seen. If you're looking for doubles help then yeah ask someone else haha.

Granted Tailwind can catch people off so it's not entirely useless. It's just harder to run then conventional teams.

I dont play singles. I play doubles

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Just looking for suggestions.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Calm or Careful nature
EV trained for HP
Moveset:
Whirlwind
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Roost or Toxic

It will be paired with a faster Pokemon with either high Attack or Sp. Attack, to deal damage while the opposing Pokemon's health are being slowly worn down by Skarmory.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Calm or Careful nature
EV trained for HP
Moveset:
Whirlwind
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Roost or Toxic

It will be paired with a faster Pokemon with either high Attack or Sp. Attack, to deal damage while the opposing Pokemon's health are being slowly worn down by Skarmory.

I'm a little rusty so I don't know if it still applies with Gen V's metagame but it's typically recommended to have at least one attack in the event of an opponent using Taunt. Idk how prevalent Taunt is now, though. I would maybe throw out Spikes or Roost/Toxic for Drill Peck so you're covered in that regard. For your EVs I do recommend putting some in HP and then distributing the rest in Def and/or SpD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Calm or Careful nature
EV trained for HP
Moveset:
Whirlwind
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Roost or Toxic

Specially defensive Skarmory is viable, but as AzaleaLightning said, it must use an offensive move to avoid being Taunt bait, though it can also use Taunt itself to prevent being set up on, but it'll get screwed over by faster Taunt users or Sableye/Whimsicott (they have Prankster to ensure their Taunt goes first). Also, it must always use Roost for increased longevity:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird/Taunt
Nature: Careful/Impish
EVs: 224 HP/32 Def/252 SDef or 224 HP/252 Def/32 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy

Or, if you want to get hazards as fast as possible:
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Brave Bird
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
Hey guys, does a pokemon with NOT perfect IVs but perfect EVs make a substantial difference in competitive? For example: I have a weavile EVd thusly

Atk: 252
Spe: 252
Hp: 4

But with IVs of 16 14 31 16 11 2 in Hp, atk, def, spa, spd, and spe respectively. This guy is a sweeper( first ev trained pkmn) your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Hey guys, does a pokemon with NOT perfect IVs but perfect EVs make a substantial difference in competitive? For example: I have a weavile EVd thusly

Atk: 252
Spe: 252
Hp: 4

But with IVs of 16 14 31 16 11 2 in Hp, atk, def, spa, spd, and spe respectively. This guy is a sweeper( first ev trained pkmn) your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Apart from Speed it should be ok.

Speed is important however, you should always go a 31 IV in speed for WiFi. I mean attack and defense could make a difference but honestly with max-min damage rolls it shouldn't change much.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Any good sets and team mates for a liligant in RU coz it practically owns it

Lilligant is most commonly seen using Quiver Dance:
-Quiver Dance
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Rock/Fire)
-Sleep Powder
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll

Ideal teammates for Lilligant include those who can take out opponents that wall its attacks (like Steels if Lilligant opts for HP Rock or Dragons if it opts for HP Fire). Lilligant works well in Fire/Water/Grass cores, particularly.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
hello, first off im looking for good pokes to pair with Kabutops, as i do plan to join the next wifi toument and i know Kabutops is weak to ground, fighting, Electr and grass and im wondering if i starting by selecting pokes that resist maybe 1 or 2 of kabutops weakness or maybe a poke that resist all or that is kinda neutral to kabutops weakness, u know pokes that help cover kabutops short coming.

now i know kabutops is not a super great choice as compared to other pokes, but it dose have some good points, that can be very usefull is properly exposed

please id greatly for any poke suggestions that r not legends or pokes that r not allowed to be in tourments

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
hello, first off im looking for good pokes to pair with Kabutops, as i do plan to join the next wifi toument and i know Kabutops is weak to ground, fighting, Electr and grass and im wondering if i starting by selecting pokes that resist maybe 1 or 2 of kabutops weakness or maybe a poke that resist all or that is kinda neutral to kabutops weakness, u know pokes that help cover kabutops short coming.

now i know kabutops is not a super great choice as compared to other pokes, but it dose have some good points, that can be very usefull is properly exposed

please id greatly for any poke suggestions that r not legends or pokes that r not allowed to be in tourments

Kabutops works well in Fire/Water/Grass cores. Teammates for it include Lilligant, Darmanitan, etc. Using something that resists Fighting or is immune to it works like Mismagius, Drifblim or Gengar.

Just saying, not all legendaries are uber powerful. Why don't you want them in the first place?

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
well i want this team to used in all comptions, but most, if not all forbid the use of legends and some other pokes, at least thats from i have seen, like i plan on entering the next comtions on pokemon gobal link site

Last edited:

AngyMaster

Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
Hi I'm playing pokemon diamond I'm going to gardenia city and I have this team: Prinplup Lv 17-Bubble,Metal Claw,Peck,Growl,Staravia Lv 17-Pluck,Double Team,Tackle and Quick Attack,I also have a geodude Lv 9-For Rock Smash.Whati I need to add my team pokemon/moves,I'm planning to take a rhyhorn...

LuxLax

Want-To-Be Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2013
AngyMaster, try to get a Ponyta later in the game for ice weakness, and instead of a Ryhorn, why not a Hippotatas from that Maniac's Cave so you can actually use them for the Elite Four, and if you're worried about not having fissure, Hippowdown can learn it.You should also use normal types for HM's since they have a wide range of moves. And try to use honey trees when you get there, they have valuable pokemon like Munchlax and Heracross.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Okay, umm...I assume this goes here.

I was playing pokémon Emerald, EV training my Swampert in Desert Underpass. I tried to do that Ditto EV-training trick, but I did with a Wobbuffet :( So obviously my Wobbuffet can't switch, I can't run away, etc. Presumably due to Ditto getting reduced pp it's going to struggle and kill itself eventually. However my question is, as Swampert only saw it in Ditto form, not transformed into a Wobbuffet, how many EVs will Swampert get? 1(Ditto) or 2(Wobbuffet)?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
jw, any thoughts or ideal for using kingler on team r welcome.

Kingler isn't as good in the OU environment because of its bad Special Defense and average Speed. Kingler truly shines in the lower tiers because of its massive Attack and Defense, letting it set up Swords Dance and/or Agility with ease.:
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Crabhammer
-Return
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter

Kingler should use Swords Dance against defensive teams and Agility against offensive ones.

Back