• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sword Art Online Fan Club

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Oops, seems I've been a bit inactive D:

How far would you go to protect someone that you met in a virtual world, whether it be a good friend or a love interest?

Well when it comes to it all, virtual worlds would kinda be close to the real world in the sense that we can all see each other and talk to each other, and basically interact with each other in any way we would be able to in the real world, so whether I met the person in the virtual world wouldn't really matter, since it would really be the same kind of relationship as you would be able to have in the real world. Now, when it comes to how far I'd go to protect them, it depends on whether I'd be able to die or not. If it was the world in ALfheim, then I'd probably battle till I die for any of my friends, since the consequences for dying in that world are less significant than in Aincrad. Unless I had a really valuable item that I'd risk losing if I died, then hell nah, I'd sissy out and leave my friends to die B)

If it was a world like Aincrad, where I'd lose my life in the real world if I died in there too, then it gets bit more complicated. It's less likely that I'd risk my life for anyone anymore, since the cost is much higher here, and it would only really be something I'd do if they were very close friends of mine, however I would still do everything I could to help, without it coming to risking my life. At least I imagine I'd be so heroic, however I've only ever tried such things out with World of Warcraft, so I can't really say much :p

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
ep 17 is out :) I was surprised by the ending, hadn't expected it.

How far would you go to protect someone that you met in a virtual world, whether it be a good friend or a love interest?
If I/they would die as they would in Aincrad, to great lengths. If not, almost not at all probably because I could just laugh it off, and it would really be just a game. Similar to what I do in LoL :)

Cid

Years
For such a good-looking first post (and a kickass subject matter to boot), why is this club in the brink of one-month extinction?
Joining! Whee~

Username: Cid
Answer current topic:
It really depends on the situation. If it were an online game like ALO, then I'd treat it regardless of whether I met that person in a virtual world or not, because I really do cherish good friends that I make especially because it's pretty rare for me to even truly consider a person as a good friend. So in that situation, I'll protect them to the extent of my ability, especially if they can only rely on my protection. I guess I'm just like that, and I'd definitely feel that way when the situation rises.

However, something as disturbing as the SAO world might make me think otherwise. The stakes are higher, and when it considers life and death, there really isn't a gray area in between. You either live or die. And in that case, it would be very unlikely for me to risk my life for someone. I might say I don't care if I met them online or not, but I would still take into account how much I really know and care about that person.

Anyway, Episode 21! What did you guys think about it?

episode 21 spoilers
Spoiler:

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Whoops, I just remembered :D. I think most people forgot about the club.....
Luckily we were saved from extinction by you though :).

Ep 21!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

well, i might add some more later, but i seriously hope more people actually talk here. its such an awesome series.
EDIT: Why wont anyone say anything...

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Olli97: The death card is an important factor in deciding if we should protect others or not. I forgot to really think about it; I've moved on from Aincrad, haha! In that event... I would prefer over-leveling my character and better ensuring myself that I could handle a life or death situation / rescue mission. I wish that someone would overlevel their character and strive to protect me, too. I really did like how Asuna could protect Kirito as well as he could protect her. I'm not fond of damsels in distress, so hooray there. :P

Cid: Welcome to the club and thankies! I appreciate how you and Olli highly value relationships with online friends. ;D Maybe that all works out in the end, since the players had to assume from then on, the virtual game is their reality. The people they meet there are all they have, and they should cherish that for the time being. However, the anonymity still exists. Not everyone is going to behave like they would in real life. Some people can deceive or betray you because they can easily get away with it. People can also change as they experience the pressures of the online world, such as Grimlock did. Kinda scary, I can't even stand in the same room with some people! Yeahhh I'll just fly solo huh. B)

FrostPheonix: Oh yes, I laugh off my deaths in video games. They're mostly my fault anyways. D:

Episode 21, they were definitely hinting at it and nailed it on the head in episode 24. It made me uncomfortable indeed. :(
Spoiler:

Here's a topic related to the belief of the end game prize being eternal flight:
How would you react if you reached the end of a game/quest and you did not receive the reward you anticipated?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I would like to join =) SAO is one of the great series of this year =)

How would you react if you reached the end of a game/quest and you did not receive the reward you anticipated?
If it were at the beginning I would probably be very furious and if it was game with normal GMs (not SAO-like xD), I would contact them and explain the situation.
But if I had Kirito's demi-god stats, I would probably not mind as I would already have every item I need.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years

Of course I'll be very furious haha... xD And I will try to know what's wrong and why I didn't get the reward...

Anyways, it can't be right SAO is finished... :( Nooooooooooooo......

I hope they make GGO an anime. :3

Kirito-kun

~Minecraft Pokemon NerveGear Developer~
Years
Username:Kirito-kun

Q:How far would you go to protect someone that you met in a virtual world, whether it be a good friend or a love interest?

A:i would protect him/her even if it would cost my life

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
I'd love to join you guys. Definately a great series, and I want to try the Light Novels now.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Q:How would you react if you reached the end of a game/quest and you did not receive the reward you anticipated?
A: Alt + F4, anyone would do that.

Am I the only one who feels that the ALO arc sucked?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
SAO may be over, but there's still stuff to discuss, right? Right?!

I agree that ALfheim Online really sucked. It was different from SAO, they were no longer fighting for their life, which added a lot to how I felt about the situations they were in, very few interesting things actually happened in there, the worst romantic subplot ever, and there was a serious lack of Asuna. Those episodes were, in my honest opinion, not really worth it.

That depends on if the reward I anticipated was anything exciting at all. The thing about games are usually not what's waiting at the end, but what we experience on our way to the end. If I had loads of fun catching all 150 Pokemon, but instead of getting a super rare Pikablu I simply got a diploma saying congratulations, it wouldn't really matter to me since I had fun, if I played through a super tedious game just to get the reward at the end, and it was nothing like what I'd expected, then yes, I'd throw the game in the fireplace and never think of it again.

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
I'm no sure if i am correct on this but isnt there going to be another season because there was a lot more in the manga? Just something to think about. And i really liked ALF online but not nearly as much as i liked SAO. SAO was just so much better because there was actual risk involved, Dont get me wrong i still enjoyed watching the series but it didnt start getting really heated until very end. And tbh i really disliked kiritos avatar in ALF, his SAO avatar was much better.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Oh, may I have the honour of joining this? I really like SAO! :D

Username: pokemanmdj
Q: How far would you go to protect someone that you met in a virtual world, whether it be a good friend or a love interest?
A: Is it a matter of life and death? If it's just an online game, I'd "risk my life" to save a friend - on the edge of dying, if not getting killed.
But, if it's like SAO, and death is involved... I'd have to consider. I mean, It's really risky- with everything that's possible inside of a video game. I'd give it a try, but I might not exactly go on and get myself killed for the person. I mean, getting us both killed is not worth it. I'm sure that person wouldn't want us both to die, either.

On the subject of ALF, though it wasn't as risky - as you couldn't die in real life - it was on a time limit, kinda. The more time Kirito spent, the closer it would get to the day that creepy guy married Asuna. And if that happened- I think Kirito would go into a pretty deep depression.
And personally, I think another season is coming. There is much more in the manga (And I think it's still going ^^), and with the impressive sales of the Light Novels, it seems like a possibility!

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I have been lurking in this thread for far too long now, but I shall now join this wonderful club!
Thank you so much Blade for creating this fantastic club ^_^
Now onto all the topics I've missed and the current:

Who is your favorite character?
My favourite would be Kirito, he and I are similar in ways and we do have roughly the same tastes when it comes to clothing attire and picking a character in a mmo. I of course also like Asuna, she's bad ass.

I'm wondering if you guys would want to live in Aincrad?
It would be a somewhat of a dream come true lol. I would live in Aincrad, even if it would mean living in a world where death could happen at any given moment.

I wouldn't really mind, but I would ponder about it for a while and just let it go eventually. I'm more into the experience and adventure aspect of a game, rather than getting rewarded with something, especially something that I'd have no use for whatsoever.

Depending on how they would make me feel, then I'd go ALL OUT to protect them, no matter what. They would be my cause of living and my death would be promised to them.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I'm no sure if i am correct on this but isnt there going to be another season because there was a lot more in the manga? Just something to think about. And i really liked ALF online but not nearly as much as i liked SAO. SAO was just so much better because there was actual risk involved, Dont get me wrong i still enjoyed watching the series but it didnt start getting really heated until very end. And tbh i really disliked kiritos avatar in ALF, his SAO avatar was much better.
Let's be exact here. Manga covers only Aincrad, so not even Sister Affection Online is covered by manga ;)
The thing you meant is most likely Light Novel =)

I of course also like Asuna, she's bad ass.
Especially with dat ass she has shown in episode 10 xD

Back