• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Unpopular Anime Opinions

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
If you don't watch opening and ending of an episode, you haven't seen the episode.
I find this pretty stupid, to be honest. :p Skipping them saves time. And I'd rather not watch an OP/ED I dislike. I do watch all Gintama OPs, though. Cuz I love them a lot.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
^ I think most people say that because Soul Society is considered the only good animated arc of the series by a great many @Bleach is over after SS. I personally agree. I loved SS. Everything after that bored me.

I'm guessing you didn't liked the bount arc right? Yeah me neither, but i'm about to finish it today becaus ei only have like 2 episodes left and then-Hueco mondo! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO i love these arcs, it's really giving you the feeling like :"Omg he is using his powers for the ONE JOB he had to do!"

Years
I personally don't really enjoy Cowboy Bebop that much. The reason for this is that while I find the animation absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack topnotch, the story never really got me invested. The episodes that I like the most tend to be the humor oriented ones - which is unusual for me because generally I tend to dislike "filler comedy" and prefer drama. For me, Cowboy Bebop is a perfect case of a "good cover but lacking content" situation.

Years
In what ways was it good? I've not seen it and am only aware that it's probably a hyper-fanservicey anime that didn't have much in the way of plot. It had PLOT instead.

If you don't watch opening and ending of an episode, you haven't seen the episode.

I find this one silly because American channels have differently structured (and often longer) commercial breaks than Japanese shows, so it's either cut into the show itself or the opens and ends. Toonami's been giving us truncated versions when it can, but Toonami doesn't control their commercial break lengths. Their parent channel, Adult Swim, does, so if the show fills up all the non-commerical break time leaving no time for openings and endings, those are gone. Usually any next episode previews hit the chopping block first before the openings and endings, though.

Often lately, I've found myself finding shows fun but terribly executed, at least when I delve into the fanservice shows.

I also think milking the suspense and tension of awkward situation humor is taking the easy way out with plot and does the show no justice by wasting valuable screen time.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Guilty Crown wasn't good in any way, Donny. It didn't have massive amounts of boobs or anything fanservice-y, nope, but the story was pretty damn shiet and character development sucked ballz. The only redeeming qualities of the show were the fact that it had good visuals and great soundtrack. And a slightly enjoyable first half (12 episodes). It goes downhill from there. Fast.

Just my two cents.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years

This is totally true though! The person I watched Darker Than Black with walked off before the end of most of the episodes and he didn't understand large parts of the story when I had no trouble at all understanding it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Guilty Crown was one of those shows like Code Geass or Valvrave. Twists for the point of twists, inconsistent characters and a far bigger love/hate divide than usual. Obviously that sort of show is more fun to follow with people weekly but most people should be able to get some enjoyment out of it. I had a lot of fun anyway.

gcs1.jpg

Dante

→ 悪魔の子 Akuma no Ko
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
I enjoyed the first 12 eps. Rest was garbage. Marathoned it though.

Dante

→ 悪魔の子 Akuma no Ko
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
@lappy - different strokes for different folks. I fell asleep during finale eps. Says something.

Also not aware of flowers of evil. But art looks nice.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
-Dragon Ball is excellent, Z is trash, GT is pretty good despite not being canon.
-I haven't watched too much about TTGL but it's so incredibly boring and over-the-top in the worst way.
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is predictable and incredibly dull. I definitely prefer the original FMA, although it's probably due to nostalgia.
-I really like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but my personal rating isn't too popular.
5>7>2>4>6>1>3
-Legend of Galactic Heroes is the best anime ever. Many people that watch it through to the end agree, but it's still obscure and inaccessible in comparison to the big 3.
-Shonen is usually awful, but shoujo and harem are much worse as a whole.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Only episode I really liked in the first half was the episode with the party on the boat. Honestly, if a show is going to use the old trope of throwing a civilian into a magical conflict plot it should at least try to not be blandymcblandbland. The second half got so ridiculous I couldn't help but have fun.
Spoiler:

More shows should do that.

-Shonen is usually awful, but shoujo and harem are much worse as a whole.

Sturgeon's law. Is nothing to do with the genre or demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Sturgeon's law. Is nothing to do with the genre or demographic.

Yeah, no. Demographics are very much related to quality. Shonen aren't awful because they just are, they're awful because they are designed to appeal to 14 year old boys. Same for harem and lonely NEETs. Of course you'll find crap anime in every genre, but the genres I listed are particularly bad offenders because they tend to appeal to the worst group of people.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Unless I get drawn into a conversation like this I tend not to think about demographics, I usually just pick a series up if it looks interesting and not because it was published in a mature magazine for mature people.

Anyway, for the shoujo/shounen comments I think you're taking those age guidelines a little too seriously. There are plenty of series that fit into those demographics that are on another planet to things like Naruto and Kimi ni Todoke. The fact that you've mentioned liking Jojo's Bizarre adventure and Dragon Ball make it a little odd to me that you'd find their demographic undesirable actually.

Actually on the topic of demographics I'll post an unpopular opinion of mine. A majority of the popular seinen series really aren't very good. The likes of Berserk, Gantz, Sanctuary and Hellsing just don't do it for me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Unless I get drawn into a conversation like this I tend not to think about demographics, I usually just pick a series up if it looks interesting and not because it was published in a mature magazine for mature people.

Anyway, for the shoujo/shounen comments I think you're taking those age guidelines a little too seriously. There are plenty of series that fit into those demographics that are on another planet to things like Naruto and Kimi ni Todoke. The fact that you've mentioned liking Jojo's Bizarre adventure and Dragon Ball make it a little odd to me that you'd find their demographic undesirable actually.

Actually on the topic of demographics I'll post an unpopular opinion of mine. A majority of the popular seinen series really aren't very good. The likes of Berserk, Gantz, Sanctuary and Hellsing just don't do it for me.

I try not to let demographics bother me either, but it's not hard to find out when a manga is aimed towards a certain demographic. If there's gay romance very early on, you can probably make a safe bet that it's intended for fujoshi and not you.

Shonen are manga designed to appeal towards children. It literally means a young boy. If it wasn't targeted towards young boys, then it wouldn't be shonen by definition. Same for shojo. Dragon Ball is the exception rather than the rule, and it's different from many popular shonen because it's more about a sense of wonder and adventure rather than power level fighting. It's barely a shonen because its appeal covers a much wider spectrum.

As for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it has never been child friendly. This is a series that started off as a Hokuto No Ken ripoff and is known for its gratuitous gore, from exaggerated blood loss to instant vaporization from stands and parts of bodies being turned inside out, among other things. This may not seem like a big deal in America but Japan has a much lower tolerance for extreme violence. Just because it has a lot of fighting and there's a high school setting doesn't mean that it's a shonen.

I don't know why you're talking as if I said ALL shonen were crap, because I actually do like many shonen. But the quality of shonen as a whole is much lower than other genres due to the age of the intended audience, and you can't deny that children in general have lower standards than adults.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Then why do you post a manga picture...?
Aku no Hana manga is actually good, anime is crap.
You should have posted the ugly anime art to support your opinion.

It was a pretty interesting show... Just cause the art was bad doesnt mean the whole show was bad. And it was the first anime rotoscope if im correct so give them credit for trying a new thing

Back