• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen More than 8 Gyms?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I like the idea of having more than 8 gyms. ten would be perfect. Another idea that would be cool would be if the games had different cities than the other, even though they are based in the same region. this would give the games the possibility of having more exclusive poke's and would give us in a sense 16 gyms in this gen. Plus it would make nintendo more money. which they love. What are you thoughts on this?

I like this idea. Different gyms for each version... but sadly, I don't see it happening. Perhaps a few could change... it'd make an even better reason to buy both versions. More buying = more money = more profit!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
So half the game cannot be explored before the E4? Imagine how many script barriers would have to go into place (unless for instance a rockslide occurs barring the way back and it's not cleaned up until after the E4).

Also, if a player visits both cities before going to either Gym, they can still Fly there. So your theory is immediately squashed.

Besides, GF would never prevent backtracking.

Cyclone

I suppose if they wanted, instead of blocking off cities, Game Freak pulls another Fantina and the leader 'isn't there'.

Still I don't think it'd happen, it's a tradition I don't see them ever breaking.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
More than 8 gyms is okay if there's more than one region, or if there's lots of towns/cities, but not if there's a gym leader crammed into every city. ;( That'd be extremely annoying.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
It'd...sound like something that would look good on paper, but I agree with Xander in the fact that it doesn't leave really a lot of options open for the E4 to choose, especially since all of them have to have a type too. :x Unless they go the Champion route and don't have a specific type of Pokemon, but that would take away the excitement of battling the Champion so...kind of stuck there. u_u;

Though maybe I'd be okay with 2 extra gyms? As long as it doesn't throw off the balance of things, I suppose. XD
You could have up to 12 Gyms pre-E4. That allows four more E4 types, and the Champion is either the 17th type or a mix of everything.

Cyclone

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
I think it all depends on the size of the map i wouldnt mind seeing two different poke leagues in one game but that would mean your gonna need two regions and a larger level cap which will never happen

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I'm fine with the usual 8, but more use of variable gym leaders, such ones like the Striaton trio, Iris and Drayden, also wanna see another duo battle like with Tate and Liza, cept an actual double battle.

Guy

just a guy
Years
What about instead of extra gyms we have ...something else? Something different. They can function like gyms, but are more unique in that they share a connection with the region's history and are made available post-game. This way we still keep tradition, but also have something new that isn't also the Battle Frontier. For instance:

Five castles, five knights. Each represent the five loyal followers of the region's first hero who was treated almost like a king way back when. You notice their castles while traveling the region, but they are always closed off for the main part of the game. However, we do run into these five leaders along our way as they assist us in stopping the region's evil organization from completing their ultimate goal. After all, their duty is to protect their region.

In the post-game, their castles or towers, whichever seems preferable, becomes unlocked and there's a small storyline that leads us to challenging the five of them. After we have defeated them, we go on to challenge the region's current royal king or queen, who only accepts challenges from those who have defeated his/her royal knights. This person could be a descendant from the region's first hero and the strongest trainer in the games.

It also works so not every type is used more than once: 8 Gyms (8 types)+ 4 Elites (4 types) + 5 Knights (5 types) = 17 types total. While the region champion has a variety of Pokémon as does that king or queen.

As the plot thickens, there's a secret that there was once a sixth knight and still is. It is hinted that the region's champion is one of them.

A3R0D4C7YL

Dark Type Master
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
Pokemon X and Y Gyms

Hey...so what if on Pokemon X and Y,we had choices for the gyms? like if there are two paths...and then you take one and each path has different gyms/gym leaders? whattya think? Or if there were a gym for each type,and we got to choose 8 to battle...but only 8...like how Gary had 10 badges before! Just a thought though,guys...Cool Story Slowbro!

Back