• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How long did it take for a full team?

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
This Question..Well Since Im Really Choosy and Do not easily Like All pokemon So At the start I get My starter To Evolve quickly Then Most probably catch A pidgey and Mankey and A pikachu The pikachu goes after lets say the 2nd gym And I Release Mankey Which Is Now Primape after a while Pidgeot Stays And I really like Badass Pokemon So I usually havve a Team of 5 or 4 And I never really Keep 6

That is hard to understand..*Punctuation Marks*

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
I generally have a full team by the third gym, at the very most. But I change it from there.
That being said, I can have a full team before I get Brock.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It took me quite a long time to get a full Pokémon team. I had to wait until I was finally able to beat the Pokémon league. When I defeated the league and was done with the main story, I shifted my focus to building a proper team for myself. My team consisted of Blastoise, Raichu, Ninetales, Dragonite, Breloom, and Metagross. I was able to beat many of my friends with this team, because it had a variety of types and the Pokémon were able to work with each other very nicely. ^^

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I gained my 4th and last team member in Fuchsia City, a Poliwag. I chose Charmander as the starter, caught Pikachu in Viridian Forest and Diglett in Diglett's Cave.
I never use a full team of six, the highest I've gone is five (Platinum). So yeah, after obtaining my 6th gym badge, I caught my final member.

Emburn

<3
Years
I normally have a full team by the 5th gym leader and will maybe swap stuff around if I catch anything good in the Safari Zone.

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2013
I don't think I would ever have one... I usually used

Starter
Mr. Mime
Jynx
Arcanine
Marowak
and now I can't think of the rest

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
In LG, I never made a true team. I just caught and trained every Pokémon, and rotated them in and out so that almost every Pokémon I owned was at the same level.

In most games where I do make a team, I don't finalize my team until after I beat the Elite Four. I find it easier to stick with 3-5 Pokémon so that I have enough room for HM slaves, Pokémon I want to train to complete my Pokedex, etc. When I do make a team to use in-game, though, I generally do it with Pokémon caught by the second badge or so, and then often add a late-game Pokémon when I get to that point.

Years
I'm actually notorious for changing my team around at the last minute. Depending on the region and what's available in that region, I try to have the team I want to take to the Elite four completed no later than the 7th-8th Gym. When I played through Black, though, I decided to pick up a Timid Deino to use that was roughly 30 levels behind the rest of my team, which gave me a reason to grind and train some more.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Doesn't take that long for me. I usually have my team planned out ahead of time, and even if I haven't already, I have this list of Pokemon in mind sorted into typings that get considered into my team if I come across them. Once I make my team, it is more or less final. The only exception is when I find another Pokemon that has better battle potential than one of the ones I already have in my team, for example Ampharos -> Eelektross in B/W2. If a Pokemon I'm searching for is not available earlier on in the game, I will save a spot for it until I finally encounter it.

Years
I usually get a full team by the time I get 6th badge, though I might save that last slot for Zapdos after I get access to Surf.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It varies. On my runthrough using PokéSpe Red's team, until Cinnabar Island. On my last runthrough (paused due to Uni), I had 6 pokémon before challenging Misty.

Years
I have my full team around the 6th gym. Really depends on the team, because I tend to box a lot of them and then change them when I'm almost near the league. Sometimes I know what team I'll be going to use from the start, but stat wise, I end up switching between the ones I have until I form a better team, with overall types and attacks.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
First time I played all the games I basically solo'd with my starter because I was too lazy to raise a full team.

I'd say when I began actually structuring full teams, around the 4th gym I had my team that I'd use until the E4.

Years
I would always raise a full team before the second gym. Then when I found some Pokemon I like I would swap almost everyone from my team out except for my starter! ;D Right now I'm at the Elite Four and I just now switched out one of my Pokemon from my team.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 3, 2014
Well my first team took me 6 badges to make because i had to mess around with my team...

And my second run took me 4 badges to make because i was trying somthing new.

Back