• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First rule of Fight Club: Don't talk about Fight Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Trolling is ew. It's a waste of time.

The most "trolling" I do is when I call my boyfriend a buttface.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm... unsure about trolling tbh. When it's done well it can be both really devastating for people involved and really hilarious for people uninvolved at the same time... but I guess the whole "if you laugh at it, you're part of it" saying that's used in bullying applies here so idk. Usually reading back over someone trolling amuses me quite a lot because it's done and it's not hurting anyone any more but if it's happening now I'll sooner stop it than laugh at it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
It depends on how people troll, really. In terms of strangers, it wouldn't be funny...because immediately you would think "wow what a ***". In terms of your best friends, it can be funny to an extent. I had friends done it a few times on some sites and what they did was kinda funny but at the same time I'd probably feel bad. xD

Years
Trolling where the target is amused isn't trolling, it's a prank. The point of trolling is to anger/upset the target. Pranks aren't the same as trolling.

The point in trolling is to have a laugh. Like pranks, it is usually at the expense of someone else. When I go to troll someone I do it because I want to get a laugh out of it.

droomph

weeb
Years

The point in trolling is to have a laugh. Like pranks, it is usually at the expense of someone else. When I go to troll someone I do it because I want to get a laugh out of it.

So in that sense, Socrates was a major troll.

I think the only acceptable form of trolling is when a philosophical question is involved. Trolling just to make people mad is unnecessary, but with a question not only do you get to have fun, you're helping them become a better person too.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I'd just like to point out that this years April Fools prank on PC was essentially trolling every user who is registered on the forum. A lot of people got upset that day and genuinely thought the forum might go under. I didn't, because I'm always skeptical of that kind of stuff around April Fools. But still, a lot of people were very angry and frustrated.

And that was set up by the staff of this forum.

Just sayin'.......

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'd just like to point out that this years April Fools prank on PC was essentially trolling every user who is registered on the forum. A lot of people got upset that day and genuinely thought the forum might go under. I didn't, because I'm always skeptical of that kind of stuff around April Fools. But still, a lot of people were very angry and frustrated.

And that was set up by the staff of this forum.

Just sayin'.......

I was in a conversation with some other staff about this earlier! In general it seems the opinion was that we miiiiight have gone a little bit far there lol, although mostly it was taken fairly well and people who were really pissed off by it got over it fairly fast - I think I remember one or two who didn't? Even though that is one or two too many, but still, it wasn't all that bad in the end. But even still yeah I think we went a bit far towards the end.

Although the point of April Fools everywhere, not just on PC, is essentially to troll people.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If your goal isn't to piss off or upset the other person, then it's not trolling. It's as simple as that. That's the definition of trolling: attempting to get someone angry because it's amusing to you. If it's a laugh for the other person, then it's not a troll.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I don't approve at having a laugh at someone's expense which is why I don't approve of trolling in general. It was so bad on some places I've been that's it's caused me to quit those places. I think if it's going to cause people to leave that's not fun, it's crossing the line.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I agree that if the trolling genuinely upsets or hurts someone, then it isn't right.

For example, trolling people into doing things that can seriously hurt them (physically or psychologically) is outright disgusting and wrong.

I was in a conversation with some other staff about this earlier! In general it seems the opinion was that we miiiiight have gone a little bit far there lol, although mostly it was taken fairly well and people who were really pissed off by it got over it fairly fast - I think I remember one or two who didn't? Even though that is one or two too many, but still, it wasn't all that bad in the end. But even still yeah I think we went a bit far towards the end.

Although the point of April Fools everywhere, not just on PC, is essentially to troll people.
It didn't get to me that much, since like I said, I was skeptical as soon as I saw it all.

And yeah, it may have been April Fools, but at the end of the day, trolling is trolling. As soon as it was all revealed to be false, the first thing I thought to myself was "since when does Pokecommunity promote trolling?", since I thought PC as very anti-trolling (and rightfully so).

Not that it bothered me. I actually found some of the threads in the "staff lounge" pretty funny (since I assumed it was a massive wind up anyways).

Last edited:

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
If your goal isn't to piss off or upset the other person, then it's not trolling. It's as simple as that. That's the definition of trolling: attempting to get someone angry because it's amusing to you. If it's a laugh for the other person, then it's not a troll.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd consider everything else with good intentions pranking someone or joking around, not trolling.

Ice Car

Banned
Years

That's not trolling, hun. That's called payback.

It can be called that, but I like to think of it as "counter-trolling." Even if I don't succeed in pissing said troll off, I succeed in making them look stupid. To put it bluntly, there's nothing I hate more than a bad troll, but it doesn't make me angry. It makes me a bit happy because I see one person I could potentially **** with.

I don't approve at having a laugh at someone's expense which is why I don't approve of trolling in general. It was so bad on some places I've been that's it's caused me to quit those places. I think if it's going to cause people to leave that's not fun, it's crossing the line.

Depends on who the "targets" are... If it's people that deserve it, then I'm perfectly fine, and it's hilarious when about 5 people gang up on that one person attempting to troll (this happens a lot on Gearbox Forums, but I don't take part in it as much as before, it's still funny to read). Think of it as a bully on the playground getting his ass handed to him in front of the entire school. Yeah. You know, that one bully that thinks he's the best. Except there are people better and more experienced than him.

If it's just "troll everyone and anyone" then I don't approve... That's just being an *******. For no reason. Nothing more. I can go on a forum and I might get some friendly remarks, and I might get a bunch of people who have clearly woken up on the wrong side of the bed trying to piss me off.

Last edited:

Ice Car

Banned
Years
No, not really. Trolling shouldn't ever happen yet it does, strangely.

Trolling has always existed unfortunately. Long before the term was coined... The internet just made it easier to do because of the anonymity it provides... Now you can be an ******* to people and chances are you'll never have to worry about it coming back to bite you in the ass in real life (as in getting your ass kicked, which realistically would happen if done IRL)

Honest

Hi!
Years
Trolling is just idiotic, and in my opinion, it shows the person is an immature moron who has nothing better to do. Get an effing hobby.

Sorry, really mad right now. This is why. Partially.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
No, not really. Trolling shouldn't ever happen yet it does, strangely.
So, anybody here like tennis? I've been crazed about the US Open for the past little while, and I want to know if theres anyone else out there who actually cares at all about tennis. >.<

I like the junior women's champion! :3

Years
I mess with people occasionally, especially on Youtube where horrible jokes are overused and people are about as interesting as a bag of ripe onions (this means they're not interesting). The only reason I'd mess with someone is if they annoy or bore me. It's probably nicer just to tell the person that they're annoying or boring you, but it's a really weird thing to say to them, and could be taken as disrespectful by some people too. So I just mess with them instead.

Uh, tennis. It's been a while since I've actually focused on it. lol It's an intense sport and would be a lot of fun to watch, but I haven't kept up with it for the past 4 or so years.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I have mixed feelings when it comes to trolling; most of the time I find something to read that gives me a good laugh, but other times people tend to cross the line and I think, "Well, way to be a douche..." Eh, it's just one of those things that you just have to live with - unless you quit the internet, or something.

As for tennis, I prefer Wii Sports tennis. c: I mean, real tennis is fun sometimes, but I just like playing it on the Wii more. XD

Lumina

Lucid Melody
Years
This is the internet. Not the nicest of places. Trolls exist on just about every website that it is possible to have them on. If trolling upsets you in any meaningful way, you shouldn't internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back