• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Up, Down, Left, Right... Diagonal!?

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I'm guessing it'll probably keep the grid system, only with diagonal movement added in (like dungeons in PMD). My reasoning behind this is the existence of hidden items; it seems like finding these invisible items would be really annoying if we get non-grid movement. Of course, I may be completely wrong about this, as there are probably ways to get around this problem (like having no hidden items).

The hidden items could still easily be done with hot spots.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I love the fac they've finally incorporated this. It seemed like such a peasely feature to have, but it really makes a gameplay difference, esp. with how trainers "find" you.

Also, if a bush shakes, you won't risk getting involved in a different wild battle if you're diagonally beside it, since you could just dash into the shakey bush without having to pass by one in an L pattern.

i.e.

XO
O*

If "X" is you and "*" is a shakey bush, you would normally need to go ->v or v-> to get to the bush. Assuming the feature comes back, you could just dash horizontally into it without risking anything.

piefara

human
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
in the video the movement looked non-grid although it could just be the 3-D making it look more fluid.

blue

gucci
Years
Well I guess if they have diagonal movement there won't be any of this:
h8BA503DF

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Diagonal movement is pretty neat, tbh. I think you could use it as a shortcut for moving up/down, then left/right and vice-versa (as mentioned above), which is highly convenient.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Not only is it highly convenient, it will look amazing as well!
Having the possibility to move around freely will make the game way smoother

Apricots

Cream Puff
Years
To me it seems like the game will run on a sort of isometric plane.
So in theory there would be diagonal movement, still on a grid that governs placement (of the characters, NPCs, objects, etc).

If that's the case it's more of a 2.5D style game, which I'm perfectly fine with.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
To me it seems like the game will run on a sort of isometric plane.
So in theory there would be diagonal movement, still on a grid that governs placement (of the characters, NPCs, objects, etc).

If that's the case it's more of a 2.5D style game, which I'm perfectly fine with.

You see in the trailer that the guy moves slightly and stays in that direction, as if his finger moved slightly and it was mirrored by the character's movement, suggestion full movement control. Maybe they will have a grid toggle option for people who want the old system or their newer one.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
The diagonal movement will be awesome. Only being able to move udlr would be annoying. Controlling the character in previous games on the 3DS with the circle pad is a pain, so I have to use the d-pad. But with diagonal movement, it will be a step in the right(diagonal) direction. Hopefully they take it even further and implement 360 degree movement.

Romaov

Orra
Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2016
It would make sense if they had DMovement this time. if not playing will be very awkward seeing 3d models going in a single pathway. I mean they already walk weird enough but being stuck on a grid in every main game would just be terrible.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Another thing I thought of in regards to this is that the 3DS has the analog stick as well as the DPad. Maybe it'd make sense to have both a grid control and free movement active at the same time, depending on which movement option that you choose to use. It would give us some freedom to do what we want, plus they could keep the traditional movement style in place for those who want to use it.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
So Pokemon X and Y are grid-locked, like always (But with diagonally movement added), except when you are in Luminose City, where you get 360 degree movement...

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
Years
  • Age 30
  • yes
  • Seen Jun 6, 2016
i think that there will be diagonal movement, it would help with making double battles into triple battles without placing the npc trainers in an awkward, easy to avoid, triangle.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
i think that there will be diagonal movement, it would help with making double battles into triple battles without placing the npc trainers in an awkward, easy to avoid, triangle.

Diagonal movement is already confirmed...

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I would LOVE if the characters are able to move sideways. It would be such a same and simple change, but it would makes walking and maneuvering so much easier.

@Suicune- That is the story of my life .-. x3

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
So Pokemon X and Y are grid-locked, like always (But with diagonally movement added), except when you are in Luminose City, where you get 360 degree movement...

I don't know...something about the movement in Lumiose, from the trailer, seems grid-like as well. It looks like it will just auto-rotate like Castelia when you hit the curves. Unless there's a new one out I've missed that showcases 360 degrees?

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I don't know...something about the movement in Lumiose, from the trailer, seems grid-like as well. It looks like it will just auto-rotate like Castelia when you hit the curves. Unless there's a new one out I've missed that showcases 360 degrees?

The characters pass the same areas with different camera angles... and he slightly moves it over the trailer...

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
It's just harder to tell with diagonal movements and camera angles. Still looks grid-like to me with the Castelia treatment. I'll be convinced it is 360 degrees when they actually show you moving around in circles rather than the straight line movement with a diagonal and camera movement thrown in to throw you off like has been shown show far.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It could very well be like Castelia...of course I also beleive they showed it outside of Lumiose city in one of the routes, have to watch the trailer again.

Back