• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How/Where'd you grind for Red?

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
With Red's ludicrous levels, there's bound to be some grinding, and I'm still grinding. How/Where'd you do it? I'm personally trying the E4. Any better places?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Still working on it lol. Currently, I'm re-challenging the old gym leaders. There's also the Elite Four, who are a lot more powerful the second time around--I still haven't been able to beat them a second time. I would keep challenging the Elite Four. If you can beat them without using any items, you're ready for Red.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I never took the time to grind for Red! After I had gotten sixteen badges, the first thing I did was go to Mt. Silver. Sounds pretty stupid but I didn't want to go through hours of training. Surprisingly Red can be beaten with mid 50s if you use a good strategy. Although a couple of Revives were needed, it was worth it in the end. However if you still want to grind, I'd say rematch the gym leaders or fight the Elite Four. They're probably the quickest form of experience. Good luck! :]

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
Through my personal experience training for and battling Red, the places to train depends on your party. Mt. Silver and the Elite Four are where I train. Mewtwo is also really good for Red. If you teach it Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, you can have him lead while you bring the rest up. That's just my experience, I'm sure there are much better ways X3. Also revives and full restores are lovely.

Arrow

I'd like to be a tree :3
Years
I just traded my lvl 100 Empoleon over from Pearl and she swept him, which was fortunate because during my first time fighting him I lost.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 23, 2016
No need to grind at Mt. Silver.

This is from my unreleased FAQ "How to Gain EXP Quickly in HGSS using the Pokegear"

Fighting wild Pokemon to level up is a bad way to gain EXP fast (Most wild Pokemon give poor EXP). I only do that for EV training. Fight Trainers/Gym Leaders/Elite 4 since any Pokemon give an automatic x1.5 bonus. If you have a LUCKY EGG you get another x1.5 bonus! Even better, if your Pokemon are traded you get a x1.5 or x1.7 bonus depending on whether it is a Domestic (same language) or International trade respectively. (I do not know what the rate is if they are the same language but from a different localization. ie. UK English & USA English or Español Argentina & Español España)

Please take advantage of the PokeGear. It's such an underrated device because a lot of people don't know how to take advantage of it.

But if you do the math your gains using the Pokegear per hour will exceed gains with the VS Seeker (DPPt) or the rematch "bar/club" in Platinum. As long as you call the trainer/gym leader during their available time slots, you will almost always be guaranteed a rematch infinitely. All you need to do is simply re - exit the area before calling them again for another battle. Repeat this as many times as you like.

I gain 100, 000 - 430, 000+ EXP per hour doing this. The maximum possible EXP at Level 100 are the following:
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]Erratic: 600000
[*] Fast: 800000
[*]Medium Fast: 1000000
[*] Medium Slow: 1059860
[*] Slow: 1250000
[*] Fluctuating: 1640000
[/LIST]
Just to repeat: your gains per hour with the PokeGear will outweigh gains with the VS Seeker largely because the rematch is almost always guaranteed as long as you call in the right time slot. Although the VS Seeker provides instant EXP gain in the short term, fighting Gym leaders and trainers will far exceed those gains in the long run.

You can get from Lvl 1 - 50 in approximately 1 hour and Level 50 - 66 in the next hour by doing this. 100,000 - 430,000 EXP per hour is a lot of EXP. You will get to High Levels fast.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a Lucky Egg (held by wild Chansey*) since it will make your life easier! You get a x1.5 bonus. If you fight a trainer and attach a Lucky Egg to your Pokemon, your bonus is x2.25!

*Can be found in:

Code:
HGSS: Route 13, Route 14, Route 15, Safari Zone (Special Items)
DPPt: Routes 209, Route 210-South, Trophy Garden
Optimal Gains: When is it better to fight a trainer or fight a Leader?

(unfinished)

Click to View Schedule [LINKS]:
~~ HGSS Gym Leader Rematch Schedule~~
~~ Other Pokegear Trainers ~~

The Elite 4 can be rematched any time. They level up after beating all 16 Gym Leaders.
The HGSS Rival can be rematched in Indigo Plateau after you complete all story battles with him. He will appear on Mondays and Wednesdays.

---------------

Summary: Fight Elite 4, Gym Leaders, and trainers (depends) repeatedly with a Lucky Egg. Avoid wild Pokemon (when you can) unless you need to EV train.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
Is red any harder in HG/SS than g/s/c? I beat him first time in gold version, wasn't too bad.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
He's a bit more difficult. Pikachu is 88 when I believe it was 81 in G/S/C. A few tiny bumps here and there but strategy wins the day again X3.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I didn't grind prior to battling red mainly because I couldn't be bothered, and two being that I actually didn't need to. My team were well into their sixties to seventies by the time I had collected all 16 badges.

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
Years
Well i didn't grind really, since at the time i made a new team. Gengar, Scizor, tranitar, I think i got Tranitar to lvl 65 or 70 then i OHKO all his pokemon with him. I found him very easy, when i trained i did at the bottom of mount silver.

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
For Red, I just kept my Pokemon at the level they were- and didn't grind. My starter plus one were in there 80's and all others mid and early 70's. :)

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
By the time you've gotten all 16 badges, you should be in the 60s. With type advantages and maybe one or two items, Red actually isn't that hard at all.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
If you saved your max revives (which you should always do), then it should help you even if you are lower leveled.

Years
I didn't have to grind too much as I'd already transferred over a couple of Pokemon through the Pal Park, but for the Pokemon I did need to level up, I just faced battled a bunch of Golduck and Golbat on Mt. Silver. I probably could've trained elsewhere, but since I was already at Mt. Silver, it was convenient enough for me.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
Mt silver and the elite 4 helped me, but you don't need to go crazy levelling up. Strategy plus a good moveset should see you through.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I wasn't able to defeat Red during my first couple of tries, so I went to the league and had all my Pokémon level-up by four to five levels. Then, I was finally had him taken down. I did use a few Revives, but oh well—at least I got the job done. To me, his toughest Pokémon would have to be Snorlax, as it was quite bulky. d:

Outlier

If I can't be bothered taking on the Elite 4 again I usually train at Mt Silver. Not a whole lot of options really.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I trained by continuously re-matching Gym Leaders in Saffron City Dojo. I got my team of 4 to Level 80, it took a while though, but it was probably the fastest way for me.

Back