• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 11 - 23rd December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version "This One Goes To" 11
23rd December 2012

Download

That's right, I made that joke.

So what's new?

Actually, This One Goes To 649
  • Aha! That's right, Gen 5 has finally infiltrated Essentials. In before "it's about time!". As well as that, the DNA Splicers now have an effect, which means you can fuse Pokémon as much as you like. Other Pokémon-related improvements include a reworking of ribbons, a customisable obtain location phrase, and a way to make any wild Pokémon a fatefully encountered one.
What's In The Box?
  • You're being given something, but you don't know what it is. A Mystery Gift, if you will. Yes, Essentials now has that. You start off by creating a Pokémon using the improved debug options (or get an item, which can also be Mystery Gifts), and then export it to a Master Gifts file. From there, you can choose which gifts to export to a Gift file for you to upload. You can now also upload .txt files to the wiki, which is very convenient (although unsecure as anyone could change it). In fact, there's already an example gift file there, so fill in a questionnaire at the Mart and download it!
You Wanted Another Mini-Game? Have Seven!
  • That's right, seven new mini-games! I should admit, though, that they're all variations on a theme - they're all tile puzzles. Pop into Rock Cave on Route 7 to try them out. Special thanks to the__end for creating the graphics, which include a special set of tiles featuring a certain legendary feline. I've heard whispers there may be even more sets of tiles to come...
  • Here's a list of the puzzles: Alph (the classic Unown-related tile jigsaw from Johto), Alph Rotator (the same but you can also rotate the tiles), Mystic Square (a 15 puzzle), Tile Swap (swap two adjacent tiles at a time), Tile Swap Rotator (the same plus tile rotations), Rubik's Square (shift an entire row or column along at once), Star Rotator (rotate a tile and all adjacent tiles will also rotate).
Animation Station
  • The first batch of animations to come out of the All Animations Project have been added. Hopefully this will be the start of something big. While I was at it, I thought I'd fix a bug which prevented these new animations from being imported properly. Oh, and when you export an animation, you can now give it a custom filename. Which is nice.
And The Rest
  • Many other changes, including tweaks to the example maps (check out the all-new Daisy's house in Lappet Town) and tilesets. Large maps can now appear properly on the Town Map. Partner trainers let you deal with single battles rather than try to get in on the action. You can now list as many Regional Dexes as you like in the Pokédex as the list now scrolls (and is 1 longer anyway). NPC trainers can now stuff their pockets with as many items as they want, although they can't use the exact same item on both their battlers at once. Gengar can now Curse with the best of them. Customised trainer events no longer erase your hard work. If you type some text in via the keyboard, that text is now exactly what you typed. And so on and so forth.

As usual, check out the change log on the wiki for a complete list of changes.

Enjoy!

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Gen V in Essentials? It's about time!

Looks good so far. I like the new move animations :3

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I dont know what is it, but mystery gift dont work. And the option in debug says "There are no Mystery Gifts defined."

And this version is really, coold GEN5 Pokes finally, puzzles rules! Great work man, thank you.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Argh just finished changing scripts. Oh well, great job! Guess its time to transfer again

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
Cool! New essentials :D i'm going to download it and comment later :)

Thanks for making Essentials better in every release! Keep up the awesome work (y)

Maruno

Years
I dont know what is it, but mystery gift dont work. And the option in debug says "There are no Mystery Gifts defined."

And this version is really, coold GEN5 Pokes finally, puzzles rules! Great work man, thank you.
Try making a Gift first, as described. You can't manage any gifts if there aren't any.

how do you do the V.S Animation?
It will appear automatically for battles with any trainers of a given trainer type if there are two graphics in the folder Graphics/Transitions: vsBarX.png and vsTrainerX.png, where "X" is the trainer type's ID. As an example, the trainer type RIVAL1 (ID number 4) has graphics of the appropriate names.

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
I love the minigames, but then again I always loved the minigames...

I'm glad the DNA Splicers' effect has finally been implemented, I was getting kind of worried xP

I have a slight problem with the Mystery Gift though, I can't seem to get it to work right, but I'll play around with it some more and make an edit once I'v found out whut's wrong.

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
I've just played the essentials... i've found some teleport bugs but that's not important :) we just need to use the cntrl key :D

awesome job!

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
I've just played the essentials... i've found some teleport bugs but that's not important :) we just need to use the cntrl key :D

awesome job!

That only works if you're playtesting. Ctrl does nothing in the actual game.

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
You've added 5th Gen sprites? Did the aspiring "hobby" filled users finally get to you? Great job on the kit though, there's just so much one can do to make the NPC's seem smarter than what they really are.

Maruno

Years
In any case, I've fixed the map transfers I could find (the Cycle Road ones and entering Daisy's house) and re-uploaded it.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Hey Maruno quick question. Obviously the pokemon.txt was edited to add 5th gen pokemon. Were any of the entries of gen 1-4 pokemon edited? Just last week I went through and added my regional numbers for 285 pokemon, and really don't want to have to redo all of them.

Years
Hey Maruno quick question. Obviously the pokemon.txt was edited to add 5th gen pokemon. Were any of the entries of gen 1-4 pokemon edited? Just last week I went through and added my regional numbers for 285 pokemon, and really don't want to have to redo all of them.

Just copy your modified pokemon over to pokemon.txt, it's the simplest solution.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for all man, every pokémon-fan appreciate your hard work :)

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I figured out what was wrong with the Mystery Gift script (If people were having issues with it like I was)
There was a typo at line 371, it should say
if pbAddPokemonSilent(gift[2])
Instead of saying
if pbAddPokemonySilent(gift[2])

Figured i'd inform people

Maruno

Years
Looks good!

Looks like you've used my idea of marshaling a pokemon for storage

But I am sure you thought up of it :p
I assure you, it was an independent idea. I was inspired by how animations (which are classes just like Pokémon) are extracted to text tiles, and pretty much copied its code.

As far as I recall, all I've done was remove the FormNames= line for Arceus.

I figured out what was wrong with the Mystery Gift script (If people were having issues with it like I was)
There was a typo at line 371, it should say
if pbAddPokemonSilent(gift[2])
Instead of saying
if pbAddPokemonySilent(gift[2])

Figured i'd inform people
Oh, FFS. Maybe I'm dyslexic after all.

I've re-uploaded v11 again with this fix.

Years
I assure you, it was an independent idea. I was inspired by how animations (which are classes just like Pokémon) are extracted to text tiles, and pretty much copied its code.

Yep, I got the idea the same way : P (Which is why I thought you came up with it : D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back