• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What happened to Krystal?

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
I was wondering why Krystal never made it back in Heartgold and Soulsilver. maybe she left for another adventure, or does anyone have any info or theories over it?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Honestly, I've always seen Krystal and Lyra as the same, exact person, but only with a different nickname, set of clothes, and hair-color--sort of like R/S and Emerald versions of May. Either that, or perhaps Krystal never existed in HG/SS world? d:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
Honestly, I've always seen Krystal and Lyra as the same, exact people, but only with a different nickname, set of clothes, and hair-color--sort of like R/S and Emerald versions of May. Either that, or perhaps Krystal never existed in HG/SS world? d:

i get what your saying. like heartgold and soulsilver are different universes sorta? so Ethan is a different Gold?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I liked her too :D First female character you could ever play as in a Pokemon game.

But, I think it suffices to say that she doesn't exist in the HG/SS canon, just as Ethan and Lyra don't exist in the G/S/C canon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Honestly, I've always seen Krystal and Lyra as the same, exact people, but only with a different nickname, set of clothes, and hair-color--sort of like R/S and Emerald versions of May. Either that, or perhaps Krystal never existed in HG/SS world? d:

i get what your saying. like heartgold and soulsilver are different universes sorta? so Ethan is a different Gold?

I won't go as far to say that they don't exist. Crystal and Gold were the companies usual ways of naming the characters based off of what game you played. Technically Gold is not Gold as he can be either Gold or Silver depending on what version you played. Unlike with Red and Blue/Green there weren't two players to share the name and be given proper names in the sequels. Since the main character could technically be either or I see it as they gave him a real name in the remakes: Ethan. Lyra is (C)/Krystal. While Silver was possibly given the official name Silver, though even the developers don't comment on his real name. He is forever ???.

So I think unlike with Red/Blue/Green, Gold and Crystal were just renamed since Red was acknowledged as Red in all three Gen 2 games and Blue/Green was acknowledged as Blue/Green in all three games.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Nothing happened to her... she's a fictional character and maybe Gamefreak decided they wanted a new character instead... I don't think there's something deeper.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Crystal is just a placeholder name like Krysta (strangely similar name)said. Lyra is pretty much Kris/Crystal but with a new name and outfit.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I prefer to call her Kris since that's what the Crystal manual called her and I never understood why people treat her and Lyra like they're different characters; Lyra is just drastic redesign and one I think they tried too hard to make "cute". I just couldn't take her seriously enough to play as and I had really wanted to play as her again.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I prefer to call her Kris since that's what the Crystal manual called her and I never understood why people treat her and Lyra like they're different characters; Lyra is just drastic redesign and one I think they tried too hard to make "cute". I just couldn't take her seriously enough to play as and I had really wanted to play as her again.

How do you know that they're the same person? Is there any official source that says they're the same person?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
How do you know that they're the same person? Is there any official source that says they're the same person?

No, but there's that article that's been cited by many people about the one of the designers saying they created Lyra as a brand new character instead of just an updated redesign like they did with Ethan. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think it was a translation of it from Japanese. I think there might have been a misunderstanding while translating, but I could be wrong. Until someone can prove me wrong, I still believe Lyra is just a drastic redesign no different from Red's yet people never made the huge deal about his redesign, never tried to make him into a separate character. I just never understood it.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
When i saw Lyra i was honestly very disappointed. Krystal looks sooo much cooler in my opinion!!
I loved her hair, her clothes, everything. She was the first female protag...she should have made a comeback.
Now that i think about it, i wonder why Nintendo chose to use the same male protag but a different female.

Any thoughts??

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
Well since I don't like to do theory's I will just say it is a remake of the first games and Lyra is the reincarnation of Krystal

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I honestly thought that since Krystal/Kris was in Crystal and not Gold/Silver, she wouldn't have come back, and since there was only Gold/Ethan, then they needed a new female protagonist. Maybe she just went her own way after Crystal finished.

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
I suppose they did not keep her for one or all of the following reasons:

1. Since the Crystal version of Pokemon had different things from Gold and Silver like the requirements for different events, appearance of certain Pokemon, availability of both the Legendary Pokemon, requirement to catch all the three dogs, hidden rooms in Ruins of Alph it was a more celebrated game as compared to it's counterparts of generation II. All these features have been included in the Heart Gold and Soul Silver lineage which leaves no desirability for a third game.

2. Gamefreak sort of counted on Crystal to get more money, you know tons of new and better stuff. But media in that time wasn't so advanced that people would find out about the differences in a week, it took time. But if Gamefreak did that now, it would invite trouble for the other two titles as people would find out which was the superior one and then buy only that.

3. Lyra is actually meant to represent Kris. Stop commenting on that.

4. Heart Gold and Soul Silver don't have many differences. Only methods of obtaining certain Pokemon are different. Trading for Legendary Pokémon is not required much.

5. Pokémon Crystal was probably made to fit in with the manga?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I wish Krystal was the female protagonist instead of Lyra. She's a overall cooler character, and had a fierce battling spirit that I think Lyra lacks.

I'm not entirely too sure where she went. Like Pert said, perhaps Lyra and Krystal are the same. But then again, maybe not.

I hope it's the latter.

Years
I preferred Krystal's design as well. Lyra seems like an ally, not a rival that I want to battle with to help train my Pokemon. At least Krystal acted like someone who wanted to be a successful Pokemon trainer, and therefore push you to be the best you can be. I feel like that's what rivals are supposed to do, and Lyra didn't fit that description. Not sure where Krystal could have gone, though. Maybe she'll return in a new generation!

Back