• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone Else Prefer the Vintage Look?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Nah, I like the new looks better. The newer graphics give it a nice clean feel.

But I do love to still play the old games, regardless of the graphics. Graphics won't stop me from playing a game I like, even if its 10 years old!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Guys, can we not accuse people of trolling, please? @_@ We'll leave that to my discretion, and I don't think that's the case here. Just cause someone likes older looks more than newer looks doesn't make them a troll. Anyway, carry on my wayward son.

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
I sort of like the "middle gen" the best. It had the best of both worlds, in my opinion.
Both the older and newer bring their own to the table, I prefer the older "8/32-bit music"
but the graphics in the newer one seem more appealing.

However, I feel they messed Lavender Town up completely in HG/SS; It's meant to be creepy/sad and they took away from the feeling by placing what looks like a circus tent at the bottom, and turning the giant pillar, that was once a giant tomb that symbolized despair, into a radio tower; that's an example of where newer graphics went wrong. On the other side of the argument though lets look at Charge
Stone Cave, it looks sweet as hell. All the little details and other things just bring it together perfectly, in a way the older type of graphics couldn't ever pull off, imo.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I sort of like the "middle gen" the best. It had the best of both worlds, in my opinion.
Me too, I have realized. Gameplay was decent and swift there and graphics were good enough to keep you interested but simple enough to not make it feel like a totally different game from the colorless versions. Also, the music in Hoenn is amazing.

and turning the giant pillar, that was once a giant tomb that symbolized despair, into a radio tower; that's an example of where newer graphics went wrong.
That's not because of graphics. It follows the story of the old Gold/Silver games, who had "bad" graphics but still had the pokémon tower rebuilt into a radio tower.

As for myself, my favorite pokémon games when it comes to graphics are the first Johto ones. G/S/C. It's simple and pixely, but it is colorful and tempting in some strange way. It might just be nostalgia, but I have always loved the sprites and environments from those games the most. Part of what makes Johto my favorite region.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I love the new look much better, especially the newer music, which I think sounds better than the older games. Try and compare Generation 4 and 5's music sound with that of Generations 1-3 and you'll see what I mean.

Also, the location scenery looks much better than the old games.

I agree with you on this, Hikari!! I prefer the newer, 3D graphics more than the older ones. The crisp, clear graphics make game play all the more exciting and realistic. Besides, change can be good too! Being stuck with the old does make things feel outdated, in my opinion.

I still love the old graphics, though. Since I have played all generations, I would still play the older ones, brimming full of nostalgia. Graphics alone won't stop me!

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
Me too, I have realized. Gameplay was decent and swift there and graphics were good enough to keep you interested but simple enough to not make it feel like a totally different game from the colorless versions. Also, the music in Hoenn is amazing.

That's not because of graphics. It follows the story of the old Gold/Silver games, who had "bad" graphics but still had the pokémon tower rebuilt into a radio tower.

As for myself, my favorite pokémon games when it comes to graphics are the first Johto ones. G/S/C. It's simple and pixely, but it is colorful and tempting in some strange way. It might just be nostalgia, but I have always loved the sprites and environments from those games the most. Part of what makes Johto my favorite region.

I completely forgot they did that in G/S, it's been too long; it really has.
I LOVE the music in Gen III, it's gets me hype every time.

Years
I love classic games. I think the simplicity I'd amazing, and I love the sounds. I would play Pokemon Blue instead of Black/White any day.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
The older games are more simplistic, and the newer games have more going on in them. The simplistic nature gen I/II is possibly is possibly one of the reasons why people still play these games.

I prefer the newer games, gen III in particular, for there atmosphere. Although they take away the aspect of using your imagination to think of the actual area, they make up for it with more modern designs and interfaces. Plus, the music used is overall much better sounding than the beeps and blips of the originals.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
You know that the original Lavender Town had music problems in Pokemon Green, The original music for that town got edited because of it causing problems with children. Pokemon Red/Blue has had the Lavender Town music edited a-lot since the true original game :)

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
You know that the original Lavender Town had music problems in Pokemon Green, The original music for that town got edited because of it causing problems with children. Pokemon Red/Blue has had the Lavender Town music edited a-lot since the true original game :)

I've listened to the original, where ill link here, it contains an unsettling high pitched noises. It needed a remake just based of the high frequencies that are known to generate headaches, it's more annoying than creepy.
I feel that went off topic.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018

That's just creepypasta, it didn't cause problems with kids lol. Someone made up a story a long time ago about how they made kids commit suicide. Creepy but untrue.

After listening to that though, I do wish that the beta for Lavender Town would have stayed with the games; the current music is pretty ominous but that's just a whole new level of spooky. Shame they didn't keep it, I would have been interested to hear how they remix it for newer games.

Years
In all honesty I prefer the newer graphics and sound. Though, this is probably because, I don't have the same sense of connection to the older Lavender Town as you have. Since, the first Pokemon game that I became completely engrossed in had color graphics (Sapphire). And the first time I ever saw Lavender Town in game was not in Red/Blue but, in Soul Silver.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I am not fussed either way. ASlthough it would be interesting to see some of the newer games in old graphics-- sure the bridges wouldnt be half that cool :lol:

Back