• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Deserts!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
In previous games we've seen deserts as being the place where some legendaries are found, a way to get to new areas, and generally an interesting place with items (and just rock/ground Pokemon mostly found there).

Would you like to see another desert return, and be the place where you can find a legendary, given that it's been in the last three main series games? (Although legendaries are only found in two!) Would you want the Go-Goggles to be used again, or is the idea of having to get an item to navigate it as boring? Would you like to see caves that you can jump into and has a complex environment, much like in Mario games? Could maybe the title legendaries be found at one point in the desert, or perhaps the clue to finding them being there? And would you like to see something like Zen Mode Darmanitan blocking your way, again?Also considering that it's most likely based on France, do you think a desert is even possible, despite being in p much the last three main series games? Discuss!

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Maybe not the Go-Goggles because that seems like more of an exclusive to Hoenn(maybe we could get something that works similar), but I do like the idea of needing our own items/means to get through an area like a desert. From the trailer we've seen so far there appears to be a desert-like areas anyways, in it being some bizarre huge building(which reminds me of Realgam Tower from Colo/XD in a way).

As far as needing an item goes, for some reason it makes that currently inaccessible area even more interesting when I'm not able to get through it right away. When I look back at the desert back in Hoenn and not being able to advance much in it without the Go-Goggles I remember thinking 'hmm...this place must contain something interesting if I can't get through here right now' and I couldn't wait to get the goggles to find out what was there.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I always find the desert areas to be some of the most interesting areas in the game. Not sure why, maybe just the change in scenery. I love seeing them, and I think they can do a lot with em, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the next one.

Not sure what I wanna see there, maybe I just like shades of tan and brown lol

Didn't the trailer show a desert like area? I believe it had some unique silver structures, if memory serves me well. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Well now I'm a tad annoyed that a game based on France features terrain that isn't seen in France. Maybe it's France far into the future when desertification has struck the south coast...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I always find the desert areas to be some of the most interesting areas in the game. Not sure why, maybe just the change in scenery. I love seeing them, and I think they can do a lot with em, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the next one.

Not sure what I wanna see there, maybe I just like shades of tan and brown lol

Didn't the trailer show a desert like area? I believe it had some unique silver structures, if memory serves me well. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong

Maybe not the Go-Goggles because that seems like more of an exclusive to Hoenn(maybe we could get something that works similar), but I do like the idea of needing our own items/means to get through an area like a desert. From the trailer we've seen so far there appears to be a desert-like areas anyways, in it being some bizarre huge building(which reminds me of Realgam Tower from Colo/XD in a way).

As far as needing an item goes, for some reason it makes that currently inaccessible area even more interesting when I'm not able to get through it right away. When I look back at the desert back in Hoenn and not being able to advance much in it without the Go-Goggles I remember thinking 'hmm...this place must contain something interesting if I can't get through here right now' and I couldn't wait to get the goggles to find out what was there.

Oh hey that's right! I actually forgot about that lmao. But that makes it even more interesting to discuss imo, that the desert could possibly be an essential place in these games...

Um, you know like, to observe space and stuff, it's in the desert and totally isolated, and needs to be to get a clear signal or something of above. Maybe it could be like that, and could be the "bridge" between space and earth, even.

But from the looks of it, it doesn't really need Go-Goggles, but perhaps at a later point a sandstorm could strike? Imagine if it wasn't everyday, and only on certain days something "rare" was there?? Would you ever want to excavate into the deserts, and perhaps even dig below...?

Also I was going to wait til later but I figured I might as well bring it up now. You know how in B/W there was a Desert Resort? Do you think that it means that due to it being a failed Resort, maybe it's a sign that within these games there could be a successful Resort...? I mean B/W certainly implied that there would be a kind of resort, and since there wasn't, that means maybe this region could've taken ideas from B/W? Would you want to take mud baths or something or would that ruin the desert experience?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'd like to see deserts making a return to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. In Generations IV to V, I've known that you don't need any Go-Goggles while traveling through a desert. But in Generation III, you need them in order to progress.

My ideas for a desert would be that it would be Route that you have to navigate through, similar to how you had to navigate through Unova's Route 4, but instead having no road in the middle. That would be pretty cool to see.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
You know, instead of a hot desert, I'd like to see a cold desert; or a tundra. Sort of like the route towards Snowpoint City, but more vast... kinda. Because, deserts can be really could, no? Our main character could only access this cold desert by wearing very warm clothing, and snowshoes maybe. There can be cool (no pun intended) pokemon that you can probably find there; like some sort of cave or burial, or maybe a pokemon that is trapped in some icebergs.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh wait... even better, what if the desert was cold and filled with snow at night? Cause according to logic, it's only really cold at night here at least. Having it fully cold would be crazy, plus the metal things standing there already would be impossible to touch without stinging/freezing you. :(

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
A frozen desert sounds great to me. It'd be preferable to Snowpoint too because while that was just a constant blizzard, you'd never get snow in a desert. But an Antarctica-esque area in the middle of a region based on Europe is even more unrealistic than a hot desert.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
A frozen desert sounds great to me. It'd be preferable to Snowpoint too because while that was just a constant blizzard, you'd never get snow in a desert. But an Antarctica-esque area in the middle of a region based on Europe is even more unrealistic than a hot desert.

True, but there was a desert in the middle of Unova - the region based off of America and New York City though. O:

blue

gucci
Years
I'm not really a fan of the Deserts, especially when you're in battle and Sandstorm kicks in. It does look like there's a desert area from the trailer but that could just be a small part of an area.

Back