• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vaccines

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
In a perfect world you would be able to live life however you chose without government interference.

Put it this way. In a world where everyone at a school is required to be immunized against polio, polio cannot find a foothold. No one is getting it. Even in a school where only 5 people aren't immunized, if one of those people fall ill with polio, no one else is getting it because it can't pass from person to person to get to everyone in the school. But in a school where 60% of the population isn't immunized, one person coming into contact with polio and contracting it becomes an epidemic. Then you are not only putting people at risk that don't have the immunization, but the people they come into contact with, such as very young children that have not begun or completed their vaccination series yet.

When you are in close quarters with hundreds of other people every day, the idea of allowing everyone to immunize as they please hurts much more than the person choosing not to immunize. If you and 20 other people end up not immunizing, and you contract polio and they all get it from you, your choice not to immunize is the choice that gave them polio.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Think about this for a minute, do you really want to be that one person who dosent get vaccinated and contracts a horrible disease? I really think that getting an illness like Polio would be pretty devestating, as it was for many people before the vaccine existed. You may not agree with laws that make people do things, but sometimes, people do need to be protected from themselves. Sometimes, given the choice, people dont exactly make smart choices.The vaccines we are given protect people, not just you, but everyone. Do you want to give a person an awful disease? I personally wouldnt, so yes, I'll take the vaccines if it keeps me healthy even though I dont like getting shots. We dont want any more outbreaks of these diseases.

Years
I think the Chicken Pox vaccine was a stupid idea. Why immunize kids from a disease they'd only get once, and wouldn't die from? (It's like one in 10 million, or am I overstating?) Let their immune systems grow by fighting an actual disease.

But you don't just get it once. The same pathogen that causes Chicken Pox, Herpes zoster causes shingles, a painful skin rash that hits primarily elderly patients who had chicken pox in their youth. These are reasons why we vaccinate.

shingles.jpg

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Think about this for a minute, do you really want to be that one person who dosent get vaccinated and contracts a horrible disease? I really think that getting an illness like Polio would be pretty devestating, as it was for many people before the vaccine existed. You may not agree with laws that make people do things, but sometimes, people do need to be protected from themselves. Sometimes, given the choice, people dont exactly make smart choices.The vaccines we are given protect people, not just you, but everyone. Do you want to give a person an awful disease? I personally wouldnt, so yes, I'll take the vaccines if it keeps me healthy even though I dont like getting shots. We dont want any more outbreaks of these diseases.

The thing is that people don't understand logically the risks if any significant portion of the population did what they plan on doing. Because as of now, if someone is homeschooled and doesn't get a vaccine, they're still pretty protected from the diseases that we vaccinate for. Why? Herd immunity. Everyone around them is vaccinated, so they have no chance to be exposed to the disease since no one around them ever has it, so they're safe. So to people that want vaccinations to be 100% optional no matter what, they see themselves as safe because "these diseases aren't a thing anymore".

What they don't understand is the logical sequence that if 30% of the population chooses to not get vaccinated for a deadly, contagious disease, and then someone gets it, they're far more likely to get it. And then we're suddenly a barbaric country where we have vaccines for basic diseases but somehow still get epidemics of them regularly.

The people that made the immunization requirements the way they are made them with the knowledge of the danger behind these diseases.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
Years
  • Age 27
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
Put it this way. In a world where everyone at a school is required to be immunized against polio, polio cannot find a foothold. No one is getting it. Even in a school where only 5 people aren't immunized, if one of those people fall ill with polio, no one else is getting it because it can't pass from person to person to get to everyone in the school. But in a school where 60% of the population isn't immunized, one person coming into contact with polio and contracting it becomes an epidemic. Then you are not only putting people at risk that don't have the immunization, but the people they come into contact with, such as very young children that have not begun or completed their vaccination series yet.

When you are in close quarters with hundreds of other people every day, the idea of allowing everyone to immunize as they please hurts much more than the person choosing not to immunize. If you and 20 other people end up not immunizing, and you contract polio and they all get it from you, your choice not to immunize is the choice that gave them polio.

If only the people who dont get immunized get the disease then theres no problem. If you dont want to get polio you just get your polio shot. You should be allowed to contract polio if you want to. Its a matter of principle.

Years

This is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You should be allowed to contract a potentially deadly disease that could not only kill you, maim you, etc, but infect and potentially kill or stricken a family member or a friend? That's lunacy.

I don't think he meant it literally but instead is pointing out that people who do not get these vaccines are kind of making that choice themselves (quick note, I haven't really read any other post right now except the last few).

As for the vaccines themselves, I would rather have a group of people be forced to get a vaccine for something like polio than see them all die because of it. While I usually go for the 'people have the right to choose' choice, I would rather choose the 'Make sure everyone lives' kind of choice. I would go with this choice specifically for children. Children who die because their parents didn't get them vaccinated is probably one of the worst things to find out about.

Years
I think the Chicken Pox vaccine was a stupid idea. Why immunize kids from a disease they'd only get once, and wouldn't die from? (It's like one in 10 million, or am I overstating?) Let their immune systems grow by fighting an actual disease.

It's also dangerous to use some vaccines, as they have high risk of actually infecting somebody. I think it should be someone's choice on most of them - but some need to be required. We need to prevent these things from killing us. Let us hope they can eventually do this for cancer...
I didn't even know there was a Chicken Pox vaccine... That is a really stupid idea. >_>

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I'd want vaccinations to be optional. I know someone (young and healthy) who has been left paralyzed from the neck down because they took a shot to prevent against hepatitis before going on vacation to a resort country (forget which one.. mexico, dominican republic, etc) because of the rare side effects.. but yeah.. :/ I dunno.. I'm pretty wary.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I didn't even know there was a Chicken Pox vaccine... That is a really stupid idea. >_>
Why? I was vaccinated against it.

I went a good long time without getting Chickenpox. As such, I was eventually vaccinated because if you "miss it", then you contract a more sever variation later in adulthood. Why would I want that?

I know some people do like "Chickenpox parties" and expose their kids to it early. But, at my school if someone got it... nobody really knew. I'm sure people at school had it, but no one mentioned it XD

Further, if you get it as a kid, you're susceptible to shingles as an adult. So, that's another lovely thing I get to skip. So, :p

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
Years
  • Age 27
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
I don't think he meant it literally but instead is pointing out that people who do not get these vaccines are kind of making that choice themselves (quick note, I haven't really read any other post right now except the last few).

As for the vaccines themselves, I would rather have a group of people be forced to get a vaccine for something like polio than see them all die because of it. While I usually go for the 'people have the right to choose' choice, I would rather choose the 'Make sure everyone lives' kind of choice. I would go with this choice specifically for children. Children who die because their parents didn't get them vaccinated is probably one of the worst things to find out about.

Yeah thats what Im saying. If your stupid enough to turn down a polio vaccine then you deserve to get polio. Its just a matter of freedom of choice IMO.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Yeah thats what Im saying. If your stupid enough to turn down a polio vaccine then you deserve to get polio. Its just a matter of freedom of choice IMO.
Partly. There's more to it, for diseases like polio, then just protecting an individual.

Vaccines protect the population. You choose not to get vaccinated, okay. Maybe you then contract it. You very well may infect those who have not yet been vaccinated but intend to or are unable to at present.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
Years
  • Age 27
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
Partly. There's more to it, for diseases like polio, then just protecting an individual.

Vaccines protect the population. You choose not to get vaccinated, okay. Maybe you then contract it. You very well may infect those who have not yet been vaccinated but intend to or are unable to at present.

I dont really know how polio works but if its a disease that spreads from person to person and its really rare in the modern world what are the chances of someone contracting it because they dont get their shot? And I guess thats just a chance people will have to take.

Years
I dont really know how polio works but if its a disease that spreads from person to person and its really rare in the modern world what are the chances of someone contracting it because they dont get their shot? And I guess thats just a chance people will have to take.

Polio isn't an issue anymore because people got vaccinated against it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It is really rare in the modern world because the population was vaccinated. That's how you fights these

Stop that and it returns

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I have a mild allergy to shots, and I always get sore for a few weeks. But, I still think that most vaccines should be essential in children, because children have quite weak immune systems, plus, it will prevent death and things that will effect you later in life. Others, like the flu shot, I think should remain optional to people, for it has to be taken every year to keep it. For me, that wouldn't work. I'd rather have 2 weeks of sickness then a month of not being able to do something as simple as raising my hand without pain. (Alllergic reaction) So I think some should be (or remain) optional (Like the flu and HPV) , but others, not so much. (Polio, Chickenpox, Measels, etc.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You're allowed to choose not to vaccinate. You just have to be homeschooled in that case. Kind of like things that aren't required of colleges, just required to receive federal funding.

The government has a vested interest in protecting the kids that they're making come together in massive groups for school. Thus it makes sense to require extra precautions.

Years
It is really rare in the modern world because the population was vaccinated. That's how you fights these

Stop that and it returns

Old, but I just now saw this:

There's a term in Epidemiology called 'Herd Immunity' - basically, in order for a population to become immune to a pathogenic disease, 80-90% must be effectively vaccinated against that disease in order to prevent a widespread outbreak. Every single person who opts not to get vaccinated jeopardizes not only their own health but the communities health.

Back