• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Branching from RU to NU

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2012
Since I'm having a really hard time finding RU battles Ive decided to branch into NU, and I'm using a hail team to do so. The team is nearly mono-ice with the exception of only one Pokemon.

459Snover.png

Snover
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Rash
Ability: Snow Warning
EV's: 252 HP/252 def/4 SpD
~ Leech Seed
~ Blizzard
~ Giga Drain
~ Ice Shard
The only thing Snover is for is to set up a permanent hailstorm. Once the hail is up (first turn) he gets switched out in case I need him to create the storm again.

180px-614Beartic.png

Beartic
Item: Rawst Berry
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Snow Cloak
EV's: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 speed
~ Icicle Crash
~ Superpower
~ Night Slash
~ Swords Dance
Beartic is my physical sweeper. I have a Rawst Berry so I can get a free swords dance in when they burn me, and he has a great physical attack. Icicle Crash for a powerful STAB, Superpower and Night Slash for coverage.

180px-615Cryogonal.png

Cryogonal
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP/4 def/252 SpD
~ Blizzard
~ Rapid Spin
~ Toxic
~ Recover
Cryogonal is me Special Wall. He's your typical Cryogonal wall set, so there's nothing special about him. Toxic to Status, Blizzard for a powerful STAB (100% accuracy in hail), Rapid Spin to help my team with its rather large weakness to Stealth Rock, and Recover to get some healing when need be.

180px-365Walrein.png

Walrein
Nature: Bold
Ability: Ice Body
EV's: 220 HP/244 Def/46 SpD
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Surf
Here is a thread explaining this Walrein ( http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28213). I altered the movesets to have Toxic instead of Roar, but other then that it functions the same way as in that description.

rotomfrost.png

Rotom-F
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
~ Substitute
~ Blizzard
~ Thunderbolt
~ Pain Split
This is PainSplit Rotom-F. I gave him Leftovers instead of Life Orb, because of my team's large weakness to Stealth Rock, Stealth Rock is more likely to be in play so Life Orb + Stealth Rock = too much HP loss too fast. STAB Blizzard and Thunderbolt deals a lot of damage and covers a lot, and Thunderbolt REALLY helps against bulky waters that give my team a massive headache.

150px-539Sawk.png

Sawk
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sturdy
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake
~ Grass Knot
This is Choice Banded Sawk. He deals great amounts of damage, and is rather strange as he carries Grass Knot Instead of Reversal or Toxic. I chose Grass Knot because of my team needing something to help against bulky water types, and I think this Sawk helps with that. My team also has a large weakness to Rock types, and Sawk really helps deter those as well, plus, he's blue, so he look the part.​

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Sawk is out of place here because Hail will ruin Sturdy. If Sawk is undamaged by an opponent's attack while at full health, Hail will break Sturdy. If Sturdy activates, Sawk will be KO'ed by the Hail. You'll have to find a replacement for it, like, say Machoke:
-DynamicPunch
-Payback
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Evolite
Ability: No Guard

(if you don't like Machoke, then there are several other Fighting Pokemon to choose from to fill that slot)

Years
Sawk is out of place here because Hail will ruin Sturdy. If Sawk is undamaged by an opponent's attack while at full health, Hail will break Sturdy. If Sturdy activates, Sawk will be KO'ed by the Hail. You'll have to find a replacement for it, like, say Machoke:
-DynamicPunch
-Payback
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Evolite
Ability: No Guard

(if you don't like Machoke, then there are several other Fighting Pokemon to choose from to fill that slot)

It's not out of place because Hail ruins its ability; its still a solid revenge killer/stallbreaker. Thats really a ridiculous notion since sturdy is just a bonus anyways.

Hail is banned in Smogon NU however so this team is invalid under their rules but if this is for po ou then I'd say run a Duosion over Beartic as nothing on this team can take a fighting attack and Scarf Sawk just decimates it. Duosion also assures that you wont have trouble against any stall teams as almost every stall pkmn in NU is unable to do anything to it.

Duosion @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Recover

Years
If you look in the UU section, it says Snow Warning is banned, and anything banned in OU is also in effect for every tier below it, same with UU, RU, etc.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2012
Oh, I thought I could use it since it didn't say I couldn't In NU. Well this sucks. My friend tested it a couple times today but he didn't say anything about people saying anything to him about it. I thought I was in the green. I did read in a post that Snow Warning couldn't be used in NU and that's why I was so released when I read, or mis-read the banlist.

Back