• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lorem Ipsum - The Language Club!

Years
Oh man. Isn't it a subject-object-verb structure instead of the English Subject-verb-object structure? So instead of "I play Pokémon.", it would be "I Pokémon play." When I was reading about learning the language a lot of people said that was the hardest part.

Thanks for that offer! I'm pretty surprised as well. I would have thought that Japanese would have been more popular because of Anime. :P

You're right, in Korean, object comes before the verb. For future reference many other languages do this as well, one I can think of is Japanese.

Since I acquired the language naturally it'll be more difficult to explain some other things (such as differences in how to use words) but I'll try.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Oh man. Isn't it a subject-object-verb structure instead of the English Subject-verb-object structure? So instead of "I play Pokémon.", it would be "I Pokémon play." When I was reading about learning the language a lot of people said that was the hardest part.

Thanks for that offer! I'm pretty surprised as well. I would have thought that Japanese would have been more popular because of Anime. :P
Yea. I forget the structure some times and my sentences are a mess. Same for when I'm trying to speak Japanese. xD I'm trying to memorize vocabulary. I forget the words so fast. :|

@Seattle
I'm surprised too. I really didn't think there would be that many people trying to learn Korean. I always see people trying to use Japanese and stuff. I love Korean. :D Well, I love a lot of languages, but Korean is currently my favorite. :>

droomph

weeb
Years
i just have a lot of korean friends on facebook and it would be hilarious to be able to mess with their parents :p

Hello everyone.

I guess I could do with little introduction of myself, I'm a bilingual person who speaks Korean and English, I guess you could say I'm quite fluent in both. As for future possible language acquisitions... I'll probably look into German.

What languages do you speak, and how well do you speak them?
The only language I have any substantial amount of knowledge in is English. However, I've recently started learning Korean! Korean Pop music sparked my desire to learn and I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to understand all kinds of Korean media. At the moment I've just been working on learning Hangul (the Korean alphabet) and how each character is pronounced. The consonants have been giving me a bit of trouble with the differences between beginning and ending consonants, but I'll get it eventually.

Being an anime fan, I'd also like to learn Japanese eventually. Dubs are usually inferior compared to the original so it'd be great to experience anime in the way it was originally intended without having to read subtitles. However, I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll take baby steps when it comes to diversifying my language capabilities.

Also, what are some online tools that you use to help learn?
I originally used this set of videos to take my first steps into the language. I've also watched a few of the basic vocabulary videos from that same channel, but I want to get the alphabet down before I go any deeper into actual conversation. I believe it's best to have a strong foundation in the language before learning words or phrases. Understanding why certain words are spelled/pronounced the way they are is better than just memorizing them and what they mean.

HI GUYS

WELCOME

what do you think we could do to help others learn the languages we want? Something like a Skype group chat and we have language discussion themes asdf? Idk though what would you guys want? :)

Last edited:

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
i just have a lot of korean friends on facebook and it would be hilarious to be able to mess with their parents :p

HI GUYS

WELCOME

what do you think we could do to help others learn the languages we want? Something like a Skype group chat and we have language discussion themes asdf? Idk though what would you guys want? :)

I think the Skype chat would be cool. People who are struggling to learn a certain aspect of a language could ask for help from others easily. Also, people who know the same language could have conversations in that language (either just for fun or to test their overall fluency).

We should keep discussions about the various languages here though. We wouldn't want the topic to die out :P

droomph

weeb
Years
We should keep discussions about the various languages here though. We wouldn't want the topic to die out :P

Well yeah, this is a place to hook up with people who speak the language you're trying to learn and discuss the various aspects of it :) Skype is where you learn all the cool stuff in detail c:

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
Hi guys!
I speak fluent English (as it's my native language), and a moderate amount of Spanish. I'm learning Japanese on my own right now. I'm focusing on learning Kanji at the moment, because I only know 150 or so.

I saw some people mention it before, but I use WaniKani to learn kanji. I also use Tae Kim's guide for grammar. Memrise is also pretty helpful.

I might want to learn Korean in the future, but not anytime soon because of my focus on Japanese. Anyway, it's nice to see a variety of languages here!

Years
こんにちは, Elixir! Great to have you!
Japanese and Korean seem to be popular lately haha.
And WaniKani is amazing for kanji learning, isn't it? You seem to be around my level of kanji knowledge. Well good luck with your studies!

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Having a Skype group would be kind of cool. I'd be willing to join that. :D

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
Years
Would it be okay if I joined?
English is my native, and I must admit that it is the only one I know 100% fluently. *shame shame* I have been taking high school Spanish for 2 years, and I have self taught German and Japanese in the past. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the grammar of German and the alphabet of Japanese, so I don't actually know them. I can speak Spanish adequately, but I need to work on my vocabulary.

I, uh, primarily use Quizlet. Yeah, it's not that great, but I haven't had time to search for others. U wU;

Years
About time I join this wonderful club!

I am fluent in English and Russian (having been born in Russia and lived there up until I was 7). Can read, write, and speak English fluently. I speak Russian fluently as well but my writing level is very poor and I'm pretty slow with reading it. :( I'd like to learn German and Japanese in the future, if possible, though those are more or less wishful thinking goals. Not sure how much inspiration I have to keep up with studies long-term.. especially since immersion isn't an option. I don't do well with learning through reading.

droomph

weeb
Years
Would it be okay if I joined?
English is my native, and I must admit that it is the only one I know 100% fluently. *shame shame* I have been taking high school Spanish for 2 years, and I have self taught German and Japanese in the past. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the grammar of German and the alphabet of Japanese, so I don't actually know them. I can speak Spanish adequately, but I need to work on my vocabulary.

I, uh, primarily use Quizlet. Yeah, it's not that great, but I haven't had time to search for others. U wU;

I am fluent in English and Russian (having been born in Russia and lived there up until I was 7). Can read, write, and speak English fluently. I speak Russian fluently as well but my writing level is very poor and I'm pretty slow with reading it. :( I'd like to learn German and Japanese in the future, if possible, though those are more or less wishful thinking goals. Not sure how much inspiration I have to keep up with studies long-term.. especially since immersion isn't an option. I don't do well with learning through reading.

Wee band camp! Sorry about the late replies :( (we let out at 7:30 today so :p)

German and Japanese seem to be a common language everybody wants to learn. Why is that? It just seems weird to me, since I was teased annoyed around about wanting to take them (you know, Axis powers, Nazis, that load of bs).

And a thing topic ahh

Should we add the languages you guys know to the Member's List? Could help out the people who want to locate a person to help with their language.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
A language club! I would definitely LOVE to join. <33

I speak English, Malay, Chinese and Japanese. English is my first language and Malay my second (and my country's national language), so I speak, read and write both of them fluently. My Chinese is...fair, I guess. I can speak, read and write very basic Chinese. It's not enough to support me if I were to be plucked up and put into a Chinese-speaking community though. And that is rather embarrassing as I'm Chinese myself. I belong to that group of Chinese who can't speak or have limited command of the Chinese language called 'bananas'. Why, you ask? Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Get it? Lol. As for my Japanese, I consider it overall to be acceptable. I can speak, read and write basic to intermediate Japanese (Hiragana, Katakana and a limited amount of Kanji), although I need a lot of work on my vocabulary and grammar.

I started self-learning Japanese using guide books and Google Translate. I also took up Japanese classes last year as a university subject, so that definitely aided in my learning as well. I also have dictionaries, both in physical and digital form, which have helped me greatly during my recent trip to Japan. <3 I don't know what I'd do without them. Wait...these aren't all online tools, but it'll do I suppose. :3

droomph

weeb
Years
A language club! I would definitely LOVE to join. <33

I speak English, Malay, Chinese and Japanese. English is my first language and Malay my second (and my country's national language), so I speak, read and write both of them fluently. My Chinese is...fair, I guess. I can speak, read and write very basic Chinese. It's not enough to support me if I were to be plucked up and put into a Chinese-speaking community though. And that is rather embarrassing as I'm Chinese myself. I belong to that group of Chinese who can't speak or have limited command of the Chinese language called 'bananas'. Why, you ask? Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Get it? Lol. As for my Japanese, I consider it overall to be acceptable. I can speak, read and write basic to intermediate Japanese (Hiragana, Katakana and a limited amount of Kanji), although I need a lot of work on my vocabulary and grammar.

I started self-learning Japanese using guide books and Google Translate. I also took up Japanese classes last year as a university subject, so that definitely aided in my learning as well. I also have dictionaries, both in physical and digital form, which have helped me greatly during my recent trip to Japan. <3 I don't know what I'd do without them. Wait...these aren't all online tools, but it'll do I suppose. :3

HIIIIIIIII how are you!

Even though I can speak English perfectly 100%, Chinese is my first language so yeah I don't ever forget it :p I just really get paaweguhawgeehv when Chinese people can't speak Chinese, because it's not something I know of personally, so I find it really hard to understand :p

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
HIIIIIIIII how are you!

Even though I can speak English perfectly 100%, Chinese is my first language so yeah I don't ever forget it :p I just really get paaweguhawgeehv when Chinese people can't speak Chinese, because it's not something I know of personally, so I find it really hard to understand :p

I've been well! Yourself? :3

Hahaha I understand how you feel. xD It's probably how my other Chinese-speaking friends feel when they meet me for the first time lol. The reason I'm not good in Chinese is because I didn't build a strong foundation during primary school. My teacher was old and unbearable for little me, so there went my opportunity for picking up Chinese. Regretting it a lot now. :c

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
A language club? So joining! :D

I'm fluent in English and Quebecois French, with French as my first language. Can read, write, and speak both fluently, living pretty much right on the Ontario-Quebec border in Canada. I'm currently learning Spanish, for work and Russian, as I have somewhat of an obsession with Russian/Soviet history. Spanish is coming along quite nicely, though I,m nowhere near conversational. Russian is harder but fun to learn. :P I'd also like to learn Mandarin someday, but that's kind of wishful thinking.

For Spanish (and presumably the other languages they offer) I love Duolingo. For Russian, I've been reading Russian newspapers and websites. Rosetta Stone when I have time. For Mac users, I've also found it quite useful for any language to set OS X (Can be done on Windows too if you have Ultimate version) to whatever you happen to be learning - I use my computer enough that I know where all the menus are by heart, so I can do the translations seeing them in target language.

Cirno said:

I didn't know you spoke Russian! We should practice together sometime :)

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
Years
Omg, Russian is such an amazing language, from a listener's pov. ; v; I want to learn it really bad, but I still need to learn more about the languages currently on my plate, so to speak.
I'm curious, what influences you guys' choices on learning the languages you know? I know a lot of the influence on my end is just because I love the sound of them.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Omg, Russian is such an amazing language, from a listener's pov. ; v; I want to learn it really bad, but I still need to learn more about the languages currently on my plate, so to speak.
I'm curious, what influences you guys' choices on learning the languages you know? I know a lot of the influence on my end is just because I love the sound of them.
There were a lot of things that got me into learning the languages that I'm currently studying. Anime is an easy example for Japanese. xD But I mean other than that I love the culture for all the languages I'm learning and I also love they way look when written.

Off Topic:
I started using wanikani and omg....I love it!!! Really helping me. I had a lot of trouble memorizing Kanji on my own.

droomph

weeb
Years

For me, that's Scots/Scottish English :p it makes me feel comfortable when I listen to it.

Vin_Prismriver

Pokémon Cremisi Portals Game Director
Years
Hi, new member here **

Italian is my first language, and I speak it almost flawlessly. I think I'm pretty good with English, but I constantly try to improve my grammar and pronunciation.
I'm currently try to learn some basic Japanese by myself. It is simply awesome, I love kanji and the way it sounds~

I also used to study German at school but now that I'm in High School, I'm studying Latin and Ancient Greek. (Since almost the entire Italian vocabulary comes from these languages, in Italy it's pretty common to study them)

I don't really know, I usually rely on books and dictionaries rather than web supports.

Hope everything's ok

Back