• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
@dreamengine: You resized the Meganium backsprite at 81%. Not to be extremely nitpicky, but the rules are 80%, no exceptions.

With all due respect I just checked it again and it is indeed 80%. I think the problem is that with paint is that the resize varies with how much excess area you highlight. Not sure, but that's my argument. IF you don't want to use it that's completely okay because I'm just trying to help.

I did a few more and I was going to do even more, but this isn't very fun lol. Some of these are actually really hard to do so props to you :)

croconaw_zps5e0c837c.png

feraligatr_zps7918d719.png

I don't think I did a very good job with the front sprite, but I'm posting it just for the sake of doing so.

Sentret_zpsb0f71fd4.png

Sentret's front sprite may look unchanged and that is because the BW sprite and the RSE sprite are very very close in size and I only shrank the sprite by a few percent. Also, the back sprite isn't recolored.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
@11bayerf1: I noticed that you changed the shades to some of your backsprites (parituclarly, Houndour, Houndoom, and Skarmory), meaning you're changing how the original sprite was designed, and that will also screw up how the shiny sprites look. So I'm afraid I won't be using any of your sprites until you can guarantee that you won't mix up the shades in your backsprites. Your Houndour, Houndoom, and Skarmory backsprites are lighter than the original (and in my Master Sheet, those three Pokemon in particular have their palette unchanged form the official games)

Oh whoops that was just a recolouring error. I must have just been
using the wrong colours. I've fixed those three now and uploaded them to the gallery.
Were there anymore that you noticed?

Sorry for that inconvenience.
Here are the fixed ones for you to check:
Spoiler:

Also I've got a few more that I just made:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
With all due respect I just checked it again and it is indeed 80%. I think the problem is that with paint is that the resize varies with how much excess area you highlight. Not sure, but that's my argument. IF you don't want to use it that's completely okay because I'm just trying to help.

I did a few more and I was going to do even more, but this isn't very fun lol. Some of these are actually really hard to do so props to you :)

croconaw_zps5e0c837c.png

feraligatr_zps7918d719.png

I don't think I did a very good job with the front sprite, but I'm posting it just for the sake of doing so.

Sentret_zpsb0f71fd4.png

Sentret's front sprite may look unchanged and that is because the BW sprite and the RSE sprite are very very close in size and I only shrank the sprite by a few percent. Also, the back sprite isn't recolored.
Alrighty then. I have the actual HG/SS sprite files, so I simply resize the full 80x80 sprite at 80%. It just happened so that when I resized the HG/SS Meganium sprite at 80%, it was a tiny bit smaller than your Meganium, and when I did 81%, it aligned perfectly which made me suspicious lol. Maybe its because we're using different programs? idk

As for the sprites you just posted, I'm approving these:
*Croconaw front
*Feraligatr back
*Sentret front and back

Oh whoops that was just a recolouring error. I must have just been
using the wrong colours. I've fixed those three now and uploaded them to the gallery.
Were there anymore that you noticed?

Sorry for that inconvenience.

Also I've got a few more that I just made now:
Spoiler:
Ok, I just assumed you were changing the shades on purpose to make it look "better".
All those are approved (except Hariyama front). You're gonna have to give me some time to put them into sheets though.
Also there's some error I would like to point out:
14mwbnn.png

~~~

lol so I'm assuming no one noticed how I posted the Kami trio, both Incarnate and Therian formes?

MrDollSteak

Years
Ok, I just assumed you were changing the shades on purpose to make it look "better".
All those are approved (except Hariyama front). You're gonna have to give me some time to put them into sheets though.
Also there's some error I would like to point out:
14mwbnn.png

~~~

lol so I'm assuming no one noticed how I posted the Kami trio, both Incarnate and Therian formes?

Thanks for pointing that out, I've fixed that now too.
And I absolutely love the Incarnate Backsprites . Great job :D
The Therians are also very well done, I like the fact that you did
scratch front sprites for them, as they are just monstrous to resize.
Too many hacks I've seen them appear looking awful.

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
Bored again. So I did the Shroomish line.

l0lDw5P.png
yLqnZiG.png

The fronts are the same size as RSE so I didn't do them.

EDIT: Found errors on Breloom, so I fixed them!

E6G7to1.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
I'm so done with this. lol.

cubone_zps92e83753.png

Not sure if we're allowed to do kanto or not, but whatevs.

BTW any tips or stuff would help :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Bored again. So I did the Shroomish line.

l0lDw5P.png
yLqnZiG.png

The fronts are the same size as RSE so I didn't do them.

EDIT: Found errors on Breloom, so I fixed them!

E6G7to1.png
Both approved.

I'm so done with this. lol.

cubone_zps92e83753.png

Not sure if we're allowed to do kanto or not, but whatevs.

BTW any tips or stuff would help :)
Both approved. I'm fine if people do Kanto, but the thing is since I'm working on them a lot, I don't want many cases where people are like "hey look I made [insert Kanto Pokemon here]" and I'm like "sorry I already made [insert Kanto Pokemon here] I just haven't posted it yet"

My only tips are, sometimes you shouldn't copy the original sprite exactly, as some tricks they did won't work in a smaller resolution. You have to look at the sprite and think, could this be believable as a scratched sprite, like the original, rather than a sprite that was obviously resized from a higher resolution.

And now I present to you, all fragments of the original Unova dragon:
696_zpsdddceb76.png

696-alt_zps1325daeb.png

697_zps5dc62825.png

697-alt_zps9113df35.png

698_zps1c9eee16.png

698-1_zps12f92382.png

698-1-alt_zpsf980cce3.png

698-2_zpsb7b07d8d.png

698-2-alt_zpsf4653743.png

Credit to SneakerTheOtter for regular Kyurem front sprite. Everything else done by me.

Now we got all the hard stuff over with. Meloetta and Genesect is going to be really easy compared to these much larger, more detailed legendaries...

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I chose on doing Voltorb/Electrode simply because I thought, "How hard could it be to resize a ball?" Well, I was wrong. These two were a mother @_@

UCDz7Jd.png
x4fuNFM.png
krg6UDu.png

Voltorb's front fit into 40x40 so I didn't bother with it. However, Electrode's honkin' booty was 2x the size of the original RSE sprite. Electrode's back was probably the worse to resize, ugh. Part of the outline on the backside had two spots where the outline was replaced by a lighter pixel shade, which I guess rounded it out more on the larger version, but on the smaller one it looks terrible, so I changed it to have a full outline.

I'm really happy to see this picking up speed, and that most of Kanto is almost done, which makes me very happy. I've been waiting on those sprites for ages. But secretly I want Hoenn to be done before anything I effing love Hoenn

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Both approved.

Both approved. I'm fine if people do Kanto, but the thing is since I'm working on them a lot, I don't want many cases where people are like "hey look I made [insert Kanto Pokemon here]" and I'm like "sorry I already made [insert Kanto Pokemon here] I just haven't posted it yet"

My only tips are, sometimes you shouldn't copy the original sprite exactly, as some tricks they did won't work in a smaller resolution. You have to look at the sprite and think, could this be believable as a scratched sprite, like the original, rather than a sprite that was obviously resized from a higher resolution.

And now I present to you, all fragments of the original Unova dragon:
696_zpsdddceb76.png

696-alt_zps1325daeb.png

697_zps5dc62825.png

697-alt_zps9113df35.png

698_zps1c9eee16.png

698-1_zps12f92382.png

698-1-alt_zpsf980cce3.png

698-2_zpsb7b07d8d.png

698-2-alt_zpsf4653743.png

Credit to SneakerTheOtter for regular Kyurem front sprite. Everything else done by me.

Now we got all the hard stuff over with. Meloetta and Genesect is going to be really easy compared to these much larger, more detailed legendaries...

These look great! However, I thought you were going to try and do the box art pose for B/W Kyurem? Either way they are exceptionally good!

(/me is now convinced to write forme change code for Kyurem and insert it without Jambo knowing because Jambo hates these formes:p)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I chose on doing Voltorb/Electrode simply because I thought, "How hard could it be to resize a ball?" Well, I was wrong. These two were a mother @_@

UCDz7Jd.png
x4fuNFM.png
krg6UDu.png

Voltorb's front fit into 40x40 so I didn't bother with it. However, Electrode's honkin' booty was 2x the size of the original RSE sprite. Electrode's back was probably the worse to resize, ugh. Part of the outline on the backside had two spots where the outline was replaced by a lighter pixel shade, which I guess rounded it out more on the larger version, but on the smaller one it looks terrible, so I changed it to have a full outline.
To be honest I think you made the Electrode front a little too small. Yeah I know, even when resized at your size its already a tiny bit bigger than the R/S/E sprite, but since we're not going to resize Voltorb, then Electrode should be a bit bigger to preserve how proportionately bigger Electrode should be than Voltorb. If I were to resize the Electrode front sprite, I would resize it at 90%. (It's okay to break the "IT HAS TO BE THE SAME SIZE AS R/S/E DURRRR" rule if you personally think it looks way too small)

The backsprites are approved.

I'm really happy to see this picking up speed, and that most of Kanto is almost done, which makes me very happy. I've been waiting on those sprites for ages. But secretly I want Hoenn to be done before anything I effing love Hoenn
Most of Kanto? Don't you mean Unova? lol Kanto is only like 1/3 done.

These look great! However, I thought you were going to try and do the box art pose for B/W Kyurem? Either way they are exceptionally good!

(/me is now convinced to write forme change code for Kyurem and insert it without Jambo knowing because Jambo hates these formes:p)
Well I actually made a Black Kyurem sprite posed like the box art which turned out kinda meh, and then I started the White Kyurem one and it looked even worse, so I'm just like f this s and simply made new sprites from scratch but in kinda the same pose as the official ones.

and lol I love the Kyurem formes. On my White 2 game, I traded my Zekrom over from White 1, so it's fun to walk around with Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem and play "Pokemon legos", mixing and mashing the three dragons as I wish lolololol. "Need space in your party? LOL LET'S MASH ZEKROM AND KYUREM TOGETHER"

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Nah, I meant Kanto. It's more progressed than last week so that's something. I'm in love with the Gastly sprite, it's perfect *o*

As for Electrode, ask and you shall receive a larger version in comparison to the old one.

tunF5pB.png
|
x4fuNFM.png

Honestly, I think the bigger one is significantly better for reasons other than the fact that it's now proportionate with Voltorb. When I resized, it moved or erased some of the features, like the eyebrows and parts of the grin. I had to heavily edit the left side of the mouth to fix the smoothness which, imo, looks better than the official version because it's way rounder. I also had to move part of the right eyebrow down because it broke off for some weird reason, which I compensated for by moving both the eyes down, which now makes it look more like it's looking at your Pokemon. Idk if you'd agree but that's just what I think. /end rambling

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Nah, I meant Kanto. It's more progressed than last week so that's something. I'm in love with the Gastly sprite, it's perfect *o*

As for Electrode, ask and you shall receive a larger version in comparison to the old one.

tunF5pB.png
|
x4fuNFM.png

Honestly, I think the bigger one is significantly better for reasons other than the fact that it's now proportionate with Voltorb. When I resized, it moved or erased some of the features, like the eyebrows and parts of the grin. I had to heavily edit the left side of the mouth to fix the smoothness which, imo, looks better than the official version because it's way rounder. I also had to move part of the right eyebrow down because it broke off for some weird reason, which I compensated for by moving both the eyes down, which now makes it look more like it's looking at your Pokemon. Idk if you'd agree but that's just what I think. /end rambling
Approved.

Oh my gosh! I'm so happy I found this thread! You saved me a TON of work! I'm assuming these are free to use?
Yes, OF COURSE these are free to use! Otherwise there would be absolutely no point in me posting these at all! There's some sprites I've made that I'm probably never even going to use myself!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
And thus, after more than a year since having started Generation V sprites, I present to everyone, all 156 members of the 5th Generation of Pokémon, redrawn for the Game Boy Advance:
npgklw.png

161gy35.png

It took awhile, but I'm glad they're done. Well, not quite done actually, as there's a couple backsprites I want to redo, but I'll get to those eventually.

Not sure if this is good or this is bad. >_>

oFab58M.png
lol its mostly good. Approved.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
and lol I love the Kyurem formes. On my White 2 game, I traded my Zekrom over from White 1, so it's fun to walk around with Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem and play "Pokemon legos", mixing and mashing the three dragons as I wish lolololol. "Need space in your party? LOL LET'S MASH ZEKROM AND KYUREM TOGETHER"

Sadly, in terms of practicality for implementing on a GBA game, it's really just a no-go. We have exceedingly limited memory available (and I'm not even talking about saved memory here).

Unless we found some really, really clever way of collapsing and compressing the Pokémon's data and storing it inside the Kyurem's data (or a reference to the data, at least), it just ain't gonna happen.

On topic, excellent sprites! It'll be nice to have them all working properly when I get round to fixing the formes on the 649 Patch.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
MOAR LUV FOR HOENN I SAY

LOTAxEr.png
muxPAMS.png
jTBvKp2.png
CXXUnOE.png
8spQV7u.png
s5TRQUb.png

Also, congrats on finally finishing Gen IV! Since you mentioned redoing certain backsprites, you might wanna remove some curve from the side of Purrloin's head. It makes it look kind of squished. Also, maybe add some more definition to the right side of Crustle's rock. It looks extremely, well, 2-D. Otherwise, great job!

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Years
And thus, after more than a year since having started Generation V sprites, I present to everyone, all 156 members of the 5th Generation of Pokémon, redrawn for the Game Boy Advance:

Congratulations Chaos! These are all fantastic. They're going to be invaluable to hackers
everywhere.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
MOAR LUV FOR HOENN I SAY

LOTAxEr.png
muxPAMS.png
jTBvKp2.png
CXXUnOE.png
8spQV7u.png
s5TRQUb.png

Also, congrats on finally finishing Gen IV! Since you mentioned redoing certain backsprites, you might wanna remove some curve from the side of Purrloin's head. It makes it look kind of squished. Also, maybe add some more definition to the right side of Crustle's rock. It looks extremely, well, 2-D. Otherwise, great job!
All approved except Spoink, the backsprite looks kinda wonky in some places.

Also, new rule: if an entire evolutionary family fits within 64x64 and it is not a single-stage family, then the front sprites of said evolutionary family do not need to be resized. I've been following this rule myself with the Kanto and Unova sprites, such as how I didn't resize the front sprites of Klink, Klang, and Klinklang because they all fit.

Examples of families in which their front sprites don't need to be resized at all:
*Wurmple family
*Nincada family
*Shroomish family
*Spoink family
*Surskit family

Yeah, I know that this contradicts my "SAME SIZE AS R/S/E GRRRR" rule, but you can think of it kind of like the United States Constitution and its amendments. This is an amendment saying that if the entire family fits in 64x64 and has more than one member, then you don't have to resize the front sprite (but it's still okay to do so, because some Pokemon might still look ridiculously huge anyway lol).

And do not worry, I am working on sheetifying all of your contributions as we speak, and I will post them most likely in the coming days (Treecko - Beautifly is already finished)

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
All approved except Spoink, the backsprite looks kinda wonky in some places.

Aw, I thought that was the best one :c (although Masquerain begs to differ). What specifically was wrong with it? I could fix it easily. Also, did you mean both sprites were denied or just the back one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back