• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Glitch Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
Years
I got a sex change!

Haha. I have never heard of that happening, weird that a glitch like that could ever occur.

The only glitches I have ever been able to perform were the Missingno glitch and the mew glitch on blue and red. spent a lot of time experimenting with those glitches, and the mew glitch allowed me to fill my pokedex for the first time.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Here's a good way to have many glitches on your crystal game - buy a 2-in-1 game with Pokemon 'Diamond' (i.e. Telefang only bootlegged and poorly translated). It had a number of glitches... let's see. Time was stuck for starters, although sometimes it would jump to a random hour. The day was also stuck, but that I could change by Flying or just looking at the map/etc on the Pokegear (there was even a 'pattern' for it - if I looked at something on the Pokegear in the same way repeatedly the days would cycle in a specific order). That was a rather useful glitch though - I could reset daily events like Viridian House or the Radio Tower lottery.

Speaking of which - I sometimes won that thanks to a mysterious '?????' Pokemon that was apparently in my PC (which I didn't have) which had a matching trainer ID... most odd. And speaking of the PC - box eight was a 'box of doom' - I couldn't take out Pokemon I had put in there because their nickname would change to a million garbled characters that strectch off the screen when one tried to examing the Pokemon and cause it to freeze.

That's on top of a number of other smaller things (freezes or suddenly walking through walls I'm not meant to be able to before the game freezes) - that rarely happened until near Crystal's lifespan. The last thing I remember of the game was encountering a Magikarp...

...which used Explosion on me, freezing the game. I guess that's quite the way to go out with it? XD

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
I once had this odd glitch...
...It was real awkwward, and it's name began with an "L". I still want to know what that was to this day.

LM4image.png

We meet again, old friend...
Though, evidence point towards this one not being available via Old Man Glitch. None of the characters have the value C6, according to the table on the glitch's page.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I've obtained Mew through the mew glitch, I've done the missingno glitch, visited Glitch City, as well as the Old Man item slot glitch and the Safari Zone pokemon appearing on the East Coast of Cinnibar glitch.

Now that I think about it, I've done tons of glitches for my Red version. xD

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
The evil slim twin. :D

BTW why do so many call it Cinnibar Island? It's Cinnabar Island. /Nitpicking

EDIT: Searched a lot in Bulbapedia but didn't find any examples of the Missigno you're describing.

Everytime I look up glitches on bulbapedia.com, I promise to myself that I would try and make these glitches work in my ROM and real Pokemon games, but never got to it. But what I usually love to do is look at the glitches on youtube whenever I'm bored. I wish there were still more glitches like this now

:t354:TG

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
I did Missingno by accident when I was really little, I never touched that gameboy for weeks...

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
I used to have a list that told you how to make specific pokemon, trainers, or MissingNo. show up in the MissingNo. cheat by using specific letters in your character's name.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Same here. I turned it off right after I found it, too. So I was really freaked out when I saw that my Hall of Fame was messed up...

Yeah, I was wondering when I got a Poliwrath, haha.

I used to have a list that told you how to make specific pokemon, trainers, or MissingNo. show up in the MissingNo. cheat by using specific letters in your character's name.

That sounds funky. :o

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
I remember getting missingnumber pokemon way way back when pokemon yellow came out and i never figured out how it happened.

Years
From what I understand, the MissingNo. glitch works by switching out your name for the old man's name, it stores your name in the thing that determines which pokemon you encounter in an area and so it bases which pokemon you encounter and what lvl they are on the letters in your name except for the first letter. Most people will have the last 2 slots blank, so there's usually always a chance of encountering a MissingNo. over lvl 100.

From what I remember, there's a few different variations of MissingNo. you can encounter through the glitch and you could also catch trainers too.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
If my memory serves me right i was near cinbar island surfing and i encountered one.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
If my memory serves me right i was near cinbar island surfing and i encountered one.
I just assumed everyone knew how to do the glitch.

1. Enter Veridian City and talk to the old man.
2. Have him show you how to catch pokemon.
3. Fly to Cinabar Island and surf along the right side of the gym.

Encountering MissingNo. causes the item in your 6th slot to replicate to max, useful for getting more master balls, gold nuggets, or moon stones.
If you fly from the Safari Zone instead, then you'll encounter Safari Zone pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2011
has anyone caught the ghost version of missingno thats my favorite variation. also i have tried all the glitches an my pokemon red cart and the all work.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
Years
There actually are non-Cinnabar places to do the Missingno glitch. The coast of the Seafoam Islands works equally well, despite the fact that you have to Surf to get there. I discovered that by accident the other day. (IIRC, it's because the game thinks you're on tall grass...)
Also, I've seen one of those Missingno glitch trainer name lists, too. And you can't get Mew from it... but you can get Lv. 159 Mewtwos...

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I also remember something else. The brain memorizes in pieces so this could just be a false memory combing a wild encounter and battling a nearby trainer with Milotic. But if my memory is in fact, correct, I encountered a wild Milotic in Sapphire on the route after Fortree City. I thought it was normal so I ignored it. I could've caught a wild Milotic from a glitch...I don't know why it happened. But my memory isn't clear so I could be wrong. But I could be right. Anyone else encounter a Pokemon in an area where that Pokemon isn't supposed to be?

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
I just assumed everyone knew how to do the glitch.
They do, but that doesn't work in Yellow, which he was talking about.

I encountered a wild Milotic in Sapphire on the route after Fortree City.
This is supposed to be for Metal and Colour only, but I can say that I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned something similar not too long ago... Either you were both mixing up memories like you said, or it is a common problem with old cartridges, or some new glitch no-one knew about (unlikely).

There actually are non-Cinnabar places to do the Missingno glitch. The coast of the Seafoam Islands works equally well, despite the fact that you have to Surf to get there. I discovered that by accident the other day. (IIRC, it's because the game thinks you're on tall grass...)
I don't see how that would work. I thought it had to do with the name being stored in the area that hosts the wild Pokemon on coast tiles, and it only stayed as the name because there are no Pokemon on coast tiles in Cinnabar. So, that would mean that there are no Pokemon on coast tiles in Seafoam and the routes between them either.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
Yes, but if I remember correctly Seafoam has them, and I assumed there would be Pokemon allocated to them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I'd assume Grass and Sea tiles load from seperate encounter banks.

We can also deduce that the problem coast tiles were flagged as Tall Grass-type encounter spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back