• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Expert Emerald~ FINAL BETA RELEASED (Project Complete)

Overall Hack Rating!

• ★★★★★

Votes: 756 69.3%
  • ★★★★

Votes: 230 21.1%
  • ★★★

Votes: 60 5.5%
  • ★★

Votes: 10 0.9%
  • Votes: 35 3.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
Oh my god. I get to the space station, pumped up to fight with Steven, and then I see his pokemon. What is up with that. My Slowking barely got us the win... His pokemon were OHKO'd one by one.

blue

gucci
Years
Oh my god. I get to the space station, pumped up to fight with Steven, and then I see his pokemon. What is up with that. My Slowking barely got us the win... His pokemon were OHKO'd one by one.

In the latest release which can be found in the original post, his levels has been changed as it took a while to figure out how to actually change his levels and Pokémon.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
sorry for double posting but its important

should i patch this 386 patch to Emerald [bpee] or Emerald [bpre]

because after patching.. nothing changed i.e torchic still has blaze ability, i read on that readme file that torchic and its evolved forms has speed boost ability.

any kind of reply is welcome.:)

well, sometimes you can get torchic with blaze ability, just keep retrying and sometimes it will have speed boost ability

anyway, can someone answer my question above?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 14, 2014
Well, overall, this hack isn't too bad. I found it while I was searching for a complete Pokedex hack, not a difficulty hack, but the balance in difficulty is somewhat more satisfying than the vanilla version, so I can't complain much.

However, I do have several problems with this hack, specifically the authenticity that's deprived from the vanilla version. Or to put it in another way, a number of changes don't make sense.

For example, Rusturf Tunnel. In the original version, the tunnel was entirely made out of Whismur, the "Pokemon that will cause an uproar if disturbed by the tunnel-digging." Taking that away from the game, the "disturbing the Pokemon" part doesn't make sense.

Secondly, why does a mere reporter and a cameraman have the power-level to train uber-powerful Pokemon like Nidoking and Nidoqueen? Sure, it raises the difficulty spike... at the cost of making sense. The fisherman who later says, "Hey Magikarp, you sure don't live up to your name, do you?" who doesn't even own a Magikarp is another one of the many senseless trainers around this hack whose Pokemon don't match their character archetypes or their dialogues.

Another thing, a Water/Grass type Omanyte? A Steel/Water type Kabuto? Really? How does that even work? It made sense with the rock type in the original game because they're fossilized Pokemon.

Also, why would you take away one of the best abilities in the entire game - Trace - from Gardevoir, and replace it with the utterly useless Insomnia? To increase the difficulty spike again? Really? Sigh... You know, difficulty-increase aside, there's little fun when such balance-throwing mechanics are thrown out just to make the game extremely frustrating for the players.

Furthermore, some of the Pokemon cries are broken or just plain weird. Sceptile has this rock-breaking sound at the end of her cry, while Nuzleaf has a similar speaker-breaking cry that's just as loud, obnoxious, and annoying.

And another thing - by making a number of species entirely female or male means that we don't get to breed certain egg moves that might have allowed us to plan strategically against your so-called difficulty spike, but of course, now that you've made Torkoal all females, we now can't get an Umbreon who knows the egg move of Curse. Gee, good job!

Putting ALL that aside, the other parts of this hack are not too shabby, such as the stat-increase and some of the moveset changes, not to mention the convenient evolutions of trade-evolution Pokemon. And while the inclusion of Kanto/Johto Pokemon do make me question the sensibility of the game's lore once again, I do have to say that it's quite convenient indeed. Though I do question the idea of putting the weakest of the three Starter Grass Pokemon at the beginning of the game. I get that it's another one of those 'difficulty' things, but Meganium sucks. Forced me to choose a Treecko at the beginning instead of the best starter, Mudkip.

Take notes from the Perfect Heart/Perfect Soul hacks. They did increase the difficulty spike somewhat without changing what the original game had intended, while letting players catch every Pokemon at the same time. That's a good hack. This so-called 'Expert Emerald'? It is not. Now I'm stuck in the middle of the game with this hack, because restarting from the beginning with a new hackless save would be a pain in the ass. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
Can you tell me where is Entei and Moltres in this game, i don't know where it is since the screenshot show that Moltres appear in the entrance of Victory Road, but i can't find it, and i don't know what area it is in Entei screenshot

Entei is on the route that the berry master is on. However, it's on the half of the route with all the ledges. It is next to a lake-like body of water. Idk what to tell you about Moltres.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for taking away one of the most powerful Pokemon's ability that's also one of the best abilities in the game - Blissey's Serene Grace. And don't get me started with her SpD stat-nerfing. Now I can't use it against Battle Frontier or your overall difficulty spike.

Oh, and you gave it yet another useless ability, Cute Charm, which against doesn't make as much sense as Clefairy or Jigglypuff, since she's a fatass compared to those two.

Thank God I'm still able to hack your game by using Pokemon Encyclopedia and restore the stats while replacing Serene Grace with Natural Cure.

And another thing - why would you give Blissey the four elemental punches when you nerfed down her SpA stats? That's just stupid. Furthermore... how does that even make sense, in terms of the lore? What is she, a HitmonChansey? How's she going to punch with those stubby hands?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
@OminousFlare

Chill. If these things are truly bugging you, there is always the option of using editors like YAPE and G3HS to change Pokemon Base Stats, Types and all that other stuff to your liking.

However...
Furthermore, some of the Pokemon cries are broken or just plain weird. Sceptile has this rock-breaking sound at the end of her cry, while Nuzleaf has a similar speaker-breaking cry that's just as loud, obnoxious, and annoying.

For this issue you will need to make your own rom hack, as this is something not easily fixed.
If you decide to make your own rom hack, search up tutorials on scripting (possibly mapping too) and on how to prevent emerald sound corruption if you don't want obnoxious, loud and annoying cries for various Pokemon. Editing wild Pokemon and trainers is straightforward. Just need tools like a-map 1.92 and a-trainer/Unnamed Trainer Editor.

Furthermore... how does that even make sense, in terms of the lore? What is she, a HitmonChansey? How's she going to punch with those stubby hands?

Actually in later games, it is able to learn it.

Hello! i cannot seem to find dusclops anywhere on mt. pyre, any suggestions?
Probably another bug. Just evolve a Duskull.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 14, 2014
@OminousFlare

Chill. If these things are truly bugging you, there is always the option of using editors like YAPE and G3HS to change Pokemon Base Stats, Types and all that other stuff to your liking.

You can't change the ability, however. In Pokemon Encyclopedia, even though it states in the editor that Gardevoir's ability is clearly "Trace," it's "Insomnia" in the actual game. A hacked ability is a hacked ability; no editors could change that.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
You can't change the ability, however. In Pokemon Encyclopedia, even though it states in the editor that Gardevoir's ability is clearly "Trace," it's "Insomnia" in the actual game. A hacked ability is a hacked ability; no editors could change that.

Well since Enciclopedia Pokemon is a Save Editor (assuming this is what you meant) it will show the ability that Gardevoir has normally since it doesn't work off the actual ROM.
As I said before, you need to use YAPE or G3HS to change it to Trace.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 5, 2017
@OminousFlare: I agree with most of your opinion, but not to one thing. Best Blissey's nature is Natural Cure, not Serene Grace. Ok, maybe Serene Grace lets you get a 20% chance instead of 10% to Burn, Paralyze, Freeze etc. your opponent with your attacks, get a boost each time with Charge Beam or stuff like that, but Natural Cure shrugs off Toxic, Twave, Spore for your team acting as a Status Absorber and also makes it better for stalling purposes as it doesn't get affected by Status, simply getting rid of it switching (maybe to a physical wall in case you need to, like Skarmory) and not having to use Aromatherapy/Heal Bell. That's just my opinion, of course, based on my competitive battling experiences. But if we are gonna talk about that, after Gen V Blissey is just useless, Eviolite Chansey is just so much better as long as you don't stay in random Knock Offs.

@lavarider12: There's the attachment in the first post, at the end of it. Just click on it and the download will start. In case you mean the GBA file by "game", we can't do that. Read the rules.

BTW, yeah. This hack ROM is pretty good I think, even though there are some things that take out from it's overall value. I didn't really mind the fact that the graphics it's completely the same as normal Emerald, but I liked the fact that you were original with some things but still tried to keep a flavor-wise sensation to the ROM, like Charizard being Fire/Dragon or Kabutops Water/Steel, even though that's not really as correct as it should be. Another thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no Physical/Special/Status Split (I think so, there's no mention of it in the OP) so, before starting the game, I made a copy of it with the PSS patch in. Unfortunately, it has no Icons like Tlachtli's. (Did I write that correctly?) Anyways, here it is for who can't play without the Split like me:

Doomilicious

Fid

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2019
@OminousFlare: I agree with most of your opinion, but not to one thing. Best Blissey's nature is Natural Cure, not Serene Grace. Ok, maybe Serene Grace lets you get a 20% chance instead of 10% to Burn, Paralyze, Freeze etc. your opponent with your attacks, get a boost each time with Charge Beam or stuff like that, but Natural Cure shrugs off Toxic, Twave, Spore for your team acting as a Status Absorber and also makes it better for stalling purposes as it doesn't get affected by Status, simply getting rid of it switching (maybe to a physical wall in case you need to, like Skarmory) and not having to use Aromatherapy/Heal Bell. That's just my opinion, of course, based on my competitive battling experiences. But if we are gonna talk about that, after Gen V Blissey is just useless, Eviolite Chansey is just so much better as long as you don't stay in random Knock Offs.

@lavarider12: There's the attachment in the first post, at the end of it. Just click on it and the download will start. In case you mean the GBA file by "game", we can't do that. Read the rules.

BTW, yeah. This hack ROM is pretty good I think, even though there are some things that take out from it's overall value. I didn't really mind the fact that the graphics it's completely the same as normal Emerald, but I liked the fact that you were original with some things but still tried to keep a flavor-wise sensation to the ROM, like Charizard being Fire/Dragon or Kabutops Water/Steel, even though that's not really as correct as it should be. Another thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no Physical/Special/Status Split (I think so, there's no mention of it in the OP) so, before starting the game, I made a copy of it with the PSS patch in. Unfortunately, it has no Icons like Tlachtli's. (Did I write that correctly?) Anyways, here it is for who can't play without the Split like me:

Doomilicious

I used the patch after I started playing the hack, I'm around Dewford City right now. Does it work like that?

Also, can I use that to patch the original un-hacked game?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 5, 2017
I used the patch after I started playing the hack, I'm around Dewford City right now. Does it work like that?

The .ips I posted was to patch the original un-hacked game actually, but you can also patch the Expert Emerald ROM with it, since it doesn't modify anything of Expert Emerald but instead adds the PSS split. Since you didn't report any bugs, I think so at least.

BTW yes, it should work - you can try it by getting like I don't know, a Gyarados, teach it Surf and Waterfall, and test both moves against a Pokémon that has kinda equal defensive stats (like 70/70). A high level Linoone would be perfect, since it has 61/61. But again, I'm sure it works, since I've been playing with it.

Doomilicious

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 5, 2017

The .ips I posted was to patch the original un-hacked game actually, but you can also patch the Expert Emerald ROM with it, since it doesn't modify anything of Expert Emerald but instead adds the PSS split. Since you didn't report any bugs, I think so at least.

BTW yes, it should work - you can try it by getting like I don't know, a Gyarados, teach it Surf and Waterfall, and test both moves against a Pokémon that has kinda equal defensive stats (like 70/70). A high level Linoone would be perfect, since it has 61/61. But again, I'm sure it works, since I've been playing with it.

Doomilicious

Fid

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2019

Doomilicious

I'll try it later in the original ROM since it doesn't seem to work.

Croconaw with 58 Attack, 36 Sp.Attack, Bite and Water Gun.

Water Gun deals far more damage than Bite on opponents with big Sp. Def, like Plusle or Minun.

I can't find a Feebas in any of the routes the pokedex said. Help?

Use Old Rod on Route 107. East coast of Dewford Town.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
What is the criteria to get a Huntail? I thought it'd be sp def>sp att but when I trained my Clamperl up for that, it still evolved into Gorebyss.

Back