• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please Rate/Suggest Improvements to Team

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
[Gen V] Please Rate/Suggest Improvements

Hey guys, I'm man and am relatively new to the competitive battling scene. I am attempting to create a proper 5th generation team in order to enter a tourney at our school this Friday. Please feel free to make suggestions or ratings to my team.

Pokemon:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability:
Iron Barbs
Nature:
Relaxed
EV:
252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Def
Moves:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Power whip
Purpose: Lead, set up spikes, cover Jellicent's weaknesses

Pokemon:
Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability:
Iron Fist
Nature:
Adamant
EV:
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Moves:
Earthquake
Shadow punck
Toxic
Stone Edge
Purpose: Primary Wall Breaker

Pokemon:
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability:
Levitate
Nature:
Timid
EV:
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Surf
Flamethrower
U-turn
Purpose: Special Sweeper

Pokemon:
Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability:
Sheer Force
Nature:
Adamant
EV:
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Bulk up
Rock slide
Earthquake
Purpose: Primary Physical Sweeper

Pokemon:
Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability:
Water Absorb
Nature:
Calm
EV:
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Def
Moves:
Surf
Will-O-Wisp
Ice Beam
Recover
Purpose: Wall/stall, Cover Ferrothorn's weaknesses

Pokemon:
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability:
Moxie
Nature:
Jolly
EV:
4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 Atk
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Drain Punch
Crunch
Hi Jump Kick
Purpose: Secondary Physical Sweeper

Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For Ferrothorn, you can take away some of its Special Defense EVs and move them to Special Defense (252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef).

The lack of STAB really hurts on Jellicent:
-Scald/Surf
-Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Taunt
Nature: Bold/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 SDef/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb

IMO, if you're using Work Up on Hydreigon, at least give it a physical move. Or better yet, use this:
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Fire Blast
-U-turn/Dark Pulse
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SATk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

I'd give Golurk Earthquake over Hammer Arm so that it has a secondary STAB move to work wth.

I wouldn't use the Sub-punch combination on Scrafty; its HP isn't high enough for it to do that. Over Substitute, use Ice Punch or Drain Punch and over Focus Punch, use Hi Jump Kick.

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
Thanks, PlatinumDude, for your help! :) I've edited the first post above with your recommendations. If it isn't troublesome, could you rate my team based upon their coverage of each weakness, as well as their overall potential? If anyone else has the time, feel free to rate/suggest!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Scrafty would rather have Jolly so it can outspeed Thundurus and Tornadus at +1. The power boost is negligible anyway with Moxie.

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
Scrafty would rather have Jolly so it can outspeed Thundurus and Tornadus at +1. The power boost is negligible anyway with Moxie.

Okay, that would seem appropriate. I have edited the first post.

Edit:

Would you recommend putting a quick claw on Scrafty instead? Would you also suggest removing Hydreigon from my team and replacing him with Trick room Chandelure?

Last edited:

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
Update

I was wondering if Golurk, Scrafty, and Hydreigon would make an excellent 3 v. 3 team. Each Pokemon corresponds with the aforementioned stats. Please make suggestions.

Back