• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Orange Project

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
This is just something I've been playing around with for a while. I have a wiki where I'm organizing some of the game's info here (or here if that doesn't work), but it's mostly a mess right now.

So without further ado...

WELCOME TO NAVAL

The Naval region- a beautiful and isolated island country, home to many species of Pokemon seen nowhere else in the world. It has a deep and mysterious history, with many secrets not well known, and others lost to time entirely. But the best known is the Cataclysm- an event powerful enough to destroy a continent. Was it caused by Pokemon, or just a natural disaster? Nobody can quite say for sure.

You've just moved to Springbud Town in Naval with your mother, and after a surprise encounter you've decided to head out on a Pokemon journey. Along the way you'll meet friends, rivals, and Pokemon of all sorts- as well as the mysterious group known as Sinistras, who believe the Pokemon responsible for the Cataclysm is going to reawaken soon, and who welcome its arrival...

Meet over 160 new Pokemon! Foil a cult's evil plots! Uncover forgotten history! Collect gym badges and battle an unknown champion for the title of the strongest Pokemon trainer in Naval! All that and more, in Pokemon Orange Project!

THE REGION

Spoiler:

CHARACTERS
Spoiler:

CITIES AND GYM LEADERS

Spoiler:

(Planned) FEATURES

Spoiler:

... Yeah, it's not exactly groundbreaking- I admit it mostly exists as a platform for me to show off my fakemons. I do want to create this, but I also want to do as much of the work myself as I can, so until I can get RPGMaker and also get some programming experience, it'll just be a castle in the sky.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
There, I just updated the first post with some actual info... If anyone would like to give feedback on the ideas I have up so far, I'd greatly appreciate it. Moves or abilities a Pokemon should have, things I could expand on on the map, things that're terrible that I should excise immediately... Anything like that.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the best location for this route- ideally it'd be somewhere in the more populated parts of the region (so past Junebud at least), but I'm not quite sure where. Any suggestions?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
This project is not a so bad idea. But to make it more appealing, you should introduce new events to spice the things up a bit. Like maybe the bad team will try to revive the pokemon responsible for a cataclysm and the player will team up with the good guys to defeat them. I don't know, it's up to you. And you should ameliorate your world map. And why don't you get RPG Maker XP?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
This project is not a so bad idea. But to make it more appealing, you should introduce new events to spice the things up a bit. Like maybe the bad team will try to revive the pokemon responsible for a cataclysm and the player will team up with the good guys to defeat them. I don't know, it's up to you. And you should ameliorate your world map. And why don't you get RPG Maker XP?
In order:
1) Actually, that's rather close to what ends up happening... I'm still working out the details of the full storyline.
2) ameliowhat
3) Because it costs money, and I'm cheap. I also kind of want to wait until I have some sort of programming experience under my belt before I tackle this.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Ok. I said "ameliorate", it's the synonym for improve. The world map looks a bit unreadable. Clear it, use better colors just like the map in FR/LG.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
That's a very good idea, I like your storyline a lot!
If you decide to use RPG maker 2003, you can PM me for some tips.
If you use RMXP, it will require more experience.
RM2K3 is free, RMXP is 30 bucks.
If you want to use that map as your map in your game, Pokémon Essentials in RMXP is more suitable. :D

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Well... I'm willing to bet my money that almost everyone here on PC got its copy of RMXP for free...

things you can do in the meantime is downloading essentials, and reading the wiki. You can already change some text files to edit the moves etc. Also make sure to look up on the wiki to get an idea on how essentials is working.

Cross tutoring doesn't seem like its the easiest thing to implement, so look up on some Ruby programmin' tutorials as well. Make sure you know what you're doing before trying to tackle it. You could end up waisting a lot of time.

Also your new type chart doesn't make much sense...

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
That's a very good idea, I like your storyline a lot!
If you decide to use RPG maker 2003, you can PM me for some tips.
If you use RMXP, it will require more experience.
RM2K3 is free, RMXP is 30 bucks.
If you want to use that map as your map in your game, Pokémon Essentials in RMXP is more suitable. :D

RPG maker 2003 is the worst thing to use when making a Pokémon Specific fan game.
You'd need to learn how to make a battle system that looks like pokémon and not some final fantasy rip off.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Well... I'm willing to bet my money that almost everyone here on PC got its copy of RMXP for free...

things you can do in the meantime is downloading essentials, and reading the wiki. You can already change some text files to edit the moves etc. Also make sure to look up on the wiki to get an idea on how essentials is working.

Cross tutoring doesn't seem like its the easiest thing to implement, so look up on some Ruby programmin' tutorials as well. Make sure you know what you're doing before trying to tackle it. You could end up waisting a lot of time.

Yah, I know how to get RMXP for free, but RM2K3 is more suitable for beginners and Essentials can be way more complicated with more coding and scripting required. You can just use a RM2K3 battle sys and still make it look official. I also have lots of knowledge about wheres of Pokémon RM2K3 resources.
PS. I have no idea why I typed like that... But that's not related to the topic..:D

RPG maker 2003 is the worst thing to use when making a Pokémon Specific fan game.
You'd need to learn how to make a battle system that looks like pokémon and not some final fantasy rip off.

You can use RMXP Essentials if you want a custom at every style, but I think using RM2K3 BS makes it different and unique from other "Custom" Pokémon fan games. It would also make it more interesting because there hasn't been much RM2K3 games out there. Found of 20 so far.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Yah, I know how to get RMXP for free, but RM2K3 is more suitable for beginners and Essentials can be way more complicated with more coding and scripting required. You can just use a RM2K3 battle sys and still make it official. I also have lots of knowledge about wheres of Pokémon RM2K3 resources.

You can use RMXP Essentials if you want a custom at every style, but I think using RM2K3 BS makes it different and unique from other "Custom" Pokémon fan games. It would also make it more interesting because there hasn't been much RM2K3 games out there. Found of 20 so far.

I have to disagree with you there. essentials is much easier to master rather than creating almost everything required to make it look somewhat like a Pokemon game. you don't need to script at all to get yourself a working pokemon game in RMXP with essentials. (other than editing a few text files, which I don't count as scripting.)

While its true that RM2K3 is rarely used in Pokemon fan-gaming, I don't think you can give that as an argument. Maybe it would be from a developer's point of view, but I doubt many people interested in playing a fan-game won't care.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
I have to disagree with you there. essentials is much easier to master rather than creating almost everything required to make it look somewhat like a Pokemon game. you don't need to script at all to get yourself a working pokemon game in RMXP with essentials. (other than editing a few text files, which I don't count as scripting.)

While its true that RM2K3 is rarely used in Pokemon fan-gaming, I don't think you can give that as an argument. Maybe it would be from a developer's point of view, but I doubt many people interested in playing a fan-game won't care.
Well, I guess to make a fully perfected game you'll have to use Essentials, but SPEE has totally overcame scripting. But you are right. Many many gamers played SPEE, just saying. :D

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Well, I guess to make a fully perfected game you'll have to use Essentials, but SPEE has totally overcame scripting. But you are right. Many many gamers played SPEE, just saying. :D

That;s because DarkDoom3000 spends a long time scripting and stuff.
Yes many gamers played SPEE, but also they've played Raptor, Lightning Thunder, Reborn and Many more.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Ok. I said "ameliorate", it's the synonym for improve. The world map looks a bit unreadable. Clear it, use better colors just like the map in FR/LG.

I'm definitely going to make it look prettier for the actual game; the image I have now is pretty much just to show the layout I have now.

Like I said, I'm going to get some programming experience before I attack this thing. And... what do you mean by the type chart not making sense? Are there changes you don't think I should've made, or did I bugger up the layout on it (again)?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
... Well then.

Since I've gotten the newdex list about where I want it, I'm going to start asking for feedback on some individual species. I won't be able to upload new designs for a while due to not having access to a scanner, but I can still work on movesets, stats and general concepts, so I'd mostly like feedback on those, especially as I have basically no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the first ones. So... I guess I'll start with the starters.

Instead of the usual starter types, they're a fighting-psychic-dark trio. Yeah, I know, not the most original change ever, but I actually think that trio works conceptually- it evokes the warrior-mage-thief trio that a lot of RPGs use. I kept that in mind when creating these three lines. Additionally, they each "reference" one of the original three starter types, and have access to moves of that type.

Punchator, the fighting type, is a proud-warrior-race sort of species. It's meant to be physical- and offensive-leaning in terms of stats and moves.

Kyubi, the dark type, is based on the trickster archetype sort of kitsune. It's meant to be able to use physical and special attacks equally well, while excelling in speed and status-use.

And Molic, the psychic type, is, well, the mage, with its psychic powers compensating for its mole-y poor eyesight. Meant to be specially-leaning and bulky.

The level-up lists were created a while ago and I think they kind of suck, so please tell me how I could improve them.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
If you really want people to help you on this project, you should start by posting some qaulity pics. Keep up the good work!

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
If you really want people to help you on this project, you should start by posting some qaulity pics. Keep up the good work!
Like I said, that's not really an option at the moment, because I suck at computer art and have no scanner. I'll be able to scan some new pictures in, like, February, but until then I'm stuck with the cruddy early drafts I already have done. D:

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Okay, putting the Fakemon aside until I can get some halfway-decent art of them up, how does this basic outline of the plot look to you guys? My main concern is the part where you have nothing but three gyms one after the other, but I'm not quite sure how to break that up. Is that going to be a problem, or should I just leave it?

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
These ideas are really fantastic dude, I love all of the stuff you have here, I'm glad to see people here aspiring for big things rather than just compromising. I really look forward to seeing this game become a reality. Also I suggest trying to acquire RMXP [lets just say doing so for free isn't so hard]. Also, is the wiki down? I can't seem to access it.

One suggestion though is to add more filler towns, you have the starter town, then 2 gym towns in a row. No Pokemon game really does this since they want there to be a disparity of levels between gyms and they need to give the player time to level up to meet the second gym's levels.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
These ideas are really fantastic dude, I love all of the stuff you have here, I'm glad to see people here aspiring for big things rather than just compromising. I really look forward to seeing this game become a reality. Also I suggest trying to acquire RMXP [lets just say doing so for free isn't so hard]. Also, is the wiki down? I can't seem to access it.

One suggestion though is to add more filler towns, you have the starter town, then 2 gym towns in a row. No Pokemon game really does this since they want there to be a disparity of levels between gyms and they need to give the player time to level up to meet the second gym's levels.
Yeah, Wikki's servers kinda suck. :/

There's actually a trip to another town and back before you start your gym badge journey- it's to that little town to the east of the starting town. I think I forgot to mark it on the map, though. It's actually kind of a late addition.

And thanks for the feedback!

Okay, I added a link to my backup wiki to the first page, something which I pr4obably shoulda done a while ago.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
derp a bump

So with school now back in session, I now have access to a scanner, which means I can upload all the shiny new pictures I did over the break! Well, once I've cleaned them up and made them presentable, anyway. :P So without further ado, here's the first newly redrawn Pokemon line: Sporodd and Goopod, pure poison types who're based on slime molds!

Spoiler:

I wanted to make them somewhat annoying to fight, so while their offensive power is low, they're kinda fast, kinda hard to hurt, and have access to a bunch of status moves.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back