• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
If your friends can't accept your inner nerdness then they aren't your friends. Yea pokemon has its certain social stigmas but it shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game no matter how old you are. Just the more you age the more mature you gotta look at pokemon like poke fans around my age shouldn't go as GAGA as a kid would for pokemon cause for the fact we are still adults

But for your question your never to old unless you feel you've outgrowned it plus it's just a video game

Guy

just a guy
Years
You're never too old to play Pokémon. It's a video game just as much as any other.

I'm twenty-one and I still watch the anime and play the games without a care about who knows. I guess that's just one of the benefits of being an adult though; people tend to care less about what sort of hobbies you're into. When you're a kid, especially a teenager, it's all about the latest trends and trying to fit in with everyone else. That's what it seems like your friends are doing now. If they were real friends though, they wouldn't laugh at you, and I wouldn't let them discourage you from doing what you enjoy.

It was never really a secret to my friends in middle school and high school that I liked playing Pokémon. Then again, it wasn't something I ever talked about to anyone either. For me, Pokémon is just something I enjoy on my own. I don't require company to make playing the games or watching the anime anymore fun than it already is. So I can safely say I've never questioned myself whether or not I was "too old" to still be into Pokémon.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm nearly 27-years-old, and I still play Pokemon and catching up on all the news. At the place where I work, there's a group of people around my age who are also excited for X/Y, and we're planning on playing it together and sharing news, tips, and Pokemon.

When I was told that I was "too old" for Pokemon was in middle school and a little in high school, but those are the years when a lot of people are trying so desperately to be seen as "cool" by everyone else. In my schools, the way to impress others was by making fun of people who just didn't care about what others thought of them, and that was me and my Pokemon-playing self.

If you still like Pokemon as you grow older, then you still like Pokemon. Don't stop liking it just because others say you're too old. Only you can decide when you don't like something anymore.

Besides, I've seen grandparents and parents join their kids in playing Pokemon and having fun with it, so if an eighty-year-old can still enjoy Pokemon, that makes me doubt that there's an age limit on the franchise.

you gotta look at pokemon like poke fans around my age shouldn't go as GAGA as a kid would for pokemon cause for the fact we are still adults
Ha. My friends and I stand around in work going crazy at the news for X/Y. Just today, I was talking to one friend in front of several customers and coworkers about how AWESOME Mega Charizard is.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
6-10: "Pokemon is so cool!"
11-15: "Pokemon is for little kids!"
16-20: "Pokemon is so cool!"

My experience, rounded a bit.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Then again, it wasn't something I ever talked about to anyone either. For me, Pokémon is just something I enjoy on my own. I don't require company to make playing the games or watching the anime anymore fun than it already is. So I can safely say I've never questioned myself whether or not I was "too old" to still be into Pokémon.
Thiiiiis

11-15: "Pokemon is for little kids!"
16-20: "Pokemon is so cool!"
Hmmm. Nah, for me it's more like

11-15: "Pokemon is soooooo cool!"
16-20: "Pokemon is for little kids!" OR "What is pokémon again?"
21+: "Pokémon is so nostalgic!"

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I started pokemon in 10th grade. I was made fun of a little, but in a school where the entire football team plays Yu-gi-oh, people tend not to care as much. Since I'm just going into college, I guess I'm at that point where most people would consider me to be "too old" for pokemon, but after new people find out I like pokemon, they might make fun of me for a while, but the amusement wears down after a while when they realize I really don't care.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
When you feel it is too old.Dont let others decide that you are too old.You know better.
I only have one friend with who i talk about Pokemon.We make Pokepuns randomly and others look at us with a degrading look.But we dont care!
I tend to talk to people who dont care about Pokemon news too but they usually dont reply or say that you ''must stop,too childish,Zelda FIFA is the best yadayada''
But if they laugh as you said you better refrain from from talking about that.It is just bad for you.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
From elementary to the end of middle school my group of friends and I were so obsessed with Pokémon it was unholy. So it never really hit an "it's for babies" stage. In high school, since I graduated from that school, no one really cares so I guess it still doesn't count since no one's called me out for it haha.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
Years
''must stop,too childish,Zelda FIFA is the best yadayada''

Zelda FIFA... That needs to exist.

Anyway. I was told I was "too old" in... sixth grade, I think, after bringing a Pokéwalker to school. But then I grew less social, and now whenever I'm seen with anything Pokémon, everyone's response is "oh cool, which game?"

Name

Moémon Master
Years
I'm nearly 29 now.
Actually, a week after X and Y release I'll turn 29, and I'm getting both games and a Blue XY 3dsxl for my birthday.

I hear this all the time though, that pokemon is a kid's game and that I'm too old to play it.
Fie, I say. I play games I like, and I like pokemon!

Years
I've never found myself too old to still enjoy pokémon. I don't really hang out with a lot of people and most of them don't play but that doesn't stop me from loving it. Even my husband gave it up but I'm slowly convincing him to get Y so we can play together lol. I've actually found many other adults out there who love Pokémon too. I don't think any game can be classified as one with an age limit going up but there are games that children shouldn't play so I'm glad limits are on those types. I'm almost 26 and I don't see myself giving up Pokémon anytime soon.

ashketchum23

I love Pokemon!
Years
Pokemon for babies? Psh... the newer ones; maybe. The older ones were mature. Take Zelda, for instance. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is rated "E," and yet it has mature content(too much mature content.) The story of MM is dark and depressing. It also puts lots of stress into the player(3 days till the moon crashes.) Pokemon WAS the same way, but now it has become something that I don't even know anymore. That's an ancient argument, though. Many disagree x3

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
Ehhh, in Junior High, people didn't say it was for babies. Nobody even minded. The guys that "minded", was just because of the "horrible" graphics and because it was an RPG. (Those guys liked shooter games)

None of my friends play or watch Pokémon, but they don't mind that I like it.

Gods, just because you like something that is not violent or gore-ish doesn't mean you're a baby or whatever else they throw at you. Too bad most people don't realize that.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I don`t think there is a age area where is "too old" for Pokémon. I´m 20 years old and still a passionate fan, even my interest has lowered a bit like the anime. I still play games, watching the movies and catch up with the newest news. I maked my younger sister accidently a big Pokémon fan too (she is 11 right now) and she enjoys it as much as I do.

Astinus said:
When I was told that I was "too old" for Pokemon was in middle school and a little in high school, but those are the years when a lot of people are trying so desperately to be seen as "cool" by everyone else. In my schools, the way to impress others was by making fun of people who just didn't care about what others thought of them, and that was me and my Pokemon-playing self.

This also happened to me and it still infuriated me today. But I learned how to press my emotions down, so nobody will notice if someone makes fun with my Pokémon passion.

At first I was very scared about the stupid jokes like "Pikachu is dead.", but after some years I learned the situation und if someone dares to speak the joke, I`will get angry and wants to make things clear, they ARE stupid to understand.

For me Pokémon was like a good friend, which comforted me and teaching some things like to be careful with people and working in a real group (which I couldn`t really learn in school). If someone makes a joke about my sisters Pokémon passion, I can share my experience, even it will take some time. So, I still enjoy Pokémon and I´m happy to be a mentor for my sister.

Back