• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
I can't play GBA games on it. That is to say I can't play my Emerald cartridge. And screw Nintendo for expecting me to buy a copy of a game I already own in the download store or whatever they're calling it.

Years
Yes, it is annoying and that is one reason I created this thread, for opinons like yours! :3

I think they should allow you to download a copy somehow, but that is a completely different matter and a completely different ball game.​

Eps

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
My god! You are moaning so much! You can easily pick up a second hand one for £100/$150 tops if you're actually that poor IRL. We're talking about something that's going to be released in 10 months! Can you not save £10 a month? How do you afford food?

Progress is fantastic! I loved the past games in their time, this is the time of the 3DS!

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I have a GBA SP for GBA/GBC games (I play Crystal on it mostly), a DS Lite for DS/GBA games (Platinum and Emerald) and a 3DS for 3DS/DS games (Black, Black 2, PMD3D and now X/Y)

I'm all set

Years
It would be foolish to think that Pokemon wouldn't have come onto the 3DS. And of course as with all Pokemon games that have been released, Pokemon X and Y will sell like hotcakes.

Years
My god! You are moaning so much! You can easily pick up a second hand one for £100/$150 tops if you're actually that poor IRL. We're talking about something that's going to be released in 10 months! Can you not save £10 a month? How do you afford food?

Progress is fantastic! I loved the past games in their time, this is the time of the 3DS!

I am not moaning, I can easily buy one when I want. ;) The thread is for the discussion over people who can't or don't want to on principle. :3

Also, £10 is a lot of money that some people might not be able to spare. Don't forget, there are many people who aren't as well off as others.​

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I've kinda been wanting to get a ds to play some games for a few weeks now, after seeing this I wanna get a 3ds now even more.... Well played nintendo, well played

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Now, this is a very good point. If you don't have a 3DS already, how many of you are buying the console for this game alone?​

-raises hand-
Honestly, there haven't been ANY games I've wanted from the 3DS. But what with the new Mystery Dungeon game, AND NO THIS <3, I'm definitely going to get one (that's pink).

So, there ya go, here's on more sale going to the "Save the 3DS Foundation". Yes, it'll be awhile after release until I'll be able to actually afford a 3DS, but I think it'd be well worth it. c':

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
It's not so much me being poor as me not seeing it as something that's worth it. $150 for a system I'm only ever going to play Pokemon games on that wont allow me to play the majority of the games I already own? Yeah. No. Not doing it. Plus, I've got other, more important expenses. Like food and college stuff that's going to be hitting me right about when these games come out.

Also, no, I can't save £10 a month, seeing as how I live in the US and all. :P

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I agree that the release of these games will most likely boost the sales of the 3DS. I can personally say that I will be getting a 3DS just to play this. And by October I will have saved enough money to do so. :D I'm glad they waited until gen VI to put the main series on the 3DS. I don't think B2W2 would have been as popular had they started on the 3DS then.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Today in my Fundamentals of Game Design class, the topic on almost everyone's mind was Pokemon XY. The thing is, some people haven't played Pokemon in a very long time due to not having a DS, or even a GBA. But oddly enough, after being shown the trailer, some of my colleagues said: "I'd get this if I had a 3DS...actually, I'll probably get a 3DS for this game!"

So I really don't think this advancement will stifle the series in any way. Besides, imagine that Game Freak decided to skip the 3DS completely and wait for whatever handheld Nintendo created after that. What would the argument be then? That not everyone has one, and that not everyone can afford one? Then they might as well just stop making games then! Sadly, video games are expensive regardless of platform--PCs aren't always cheap (especially not the high-end ones), mobile devices and tablets are pricey, and then traditional video game systems...video games are always an investment. As sad as it may seem, developers should not feel like they need to keep themselves behind just because everyone isn't able to keep up with the new and changing technology.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
I'm not sure anyone is saying they should restrain themselves. As you said, if they did, there'd be no room for progress. In general, I think this is a good move for Pokemon.

I'm just saying that, personally speaking, it's highly unlikely that I'm going to be following this move.

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
Years
I think it looks good on the 3DS gives them room to do more and make it more unique. I am a bit disappointed as to how the trainer models look, but I think it will work itself out, we will get used to it. But I am excited!

Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2013
A lot of people play Pokemon. Most of these fans would do anything to get a new generation of Pokemon, like buy a 3DS for this sole purpose. I see it as a marketing scheme.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I already have a 3DS, so I'm obviously psyched Gen 6 will be released for 3DS. Besides, 3DS carts hold more data than DS carts, so more room for a bigger and better game.

The DS already hosted two full generations, that's more than the Game Boy Color (Gen 2 and Yellow from Gen 1) , Game Boy Advance (Gen 3) and regular Game Boy (Red and Blue) . It's time to move on to better things.

blue

gucci
Years
I think those with 3DS' currently are more hyped for these games than those with not, obviously but we've got 9 months ahead of us to save money or trade-in items in exchange for the 3DS so the majority of those without one has the opportunity to get one before the release.

latioslegends

What worries you masters you
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2019
I remember buying a DS lite just for Pearl and Diamond. I'm sure by October the anticipation will surely jump 3DS sales. The console already has an impressive, and upcoming, roster of titles; from Ocarina of Time to Mario Kart.

But as mentioned by other users, there will be a price drop for sure, especially with the XL version coming along. ;)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I don't see why people are *****ing and moaning about gen 6 being on the 3ds.

Get over it. You were given two generations on the DS, as opposed to the previously established pattern of 1 gen per console.

You know why it's going to be on the 3ds? The same reason gen 2 was on the GBC instead of GB. Same reason why Gen 3 was on the GBA instead of GBC. Same reason why Gen 4 was on the DS instead of GBA. Superior hardware, allowing for a superior game. (Gen 5 is the exception to this, mainly because of the DS's longer lifespan.)

If you don't like the games going to a new system, then stay with what you currently have. We will be enjoying the vastly superior... well... everything, that the newer games have, thanks to the superior hardware in their consoles.

Back