• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think our lives have a purpose?

Khawill

<3
Years
Well actually an atom does have a purpose 0.o, I mean between Nukes and the Sun alone is immense. The universe was started off of one atom or something. Humans can't create though, they can only harm. Things we create benefit ourselves and harms something else, the universe and atoms are so benign, I mean its like the universe was made for existence.

Maybe somebody's life has a grand purpose but it isn't mine, I only have one big goal.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.​

Fundamentally, yes. I believe we all have a True Will and fundamentally, it is a Thelemite's goal to achieve Knowledge & Conversation of their Holy Guardian Angel so that they can learn their True Will.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Years
Our natural purpose in life is to let our intuition guide us and allow us to simply do what we love to do.

Our secondary purpose on the other hand isn't too pretty...

Years
I believe we're all here for a reason. You may be fulfilling your purpose without realizing it. It's not all about you and what you think. One day, someone will tell you how much you helped, or how something you said gave direction to a life, or how supportive a friend you are/were. You're making a mark--a mark you are destined to make. Only wish you could recognize it and appreciate it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2012
I really like this topic, I believe life on a whole doesnt have a purpose but the elements in which inhabit it does such as a human. Since i technically believe in Fate(its just where you end up regardless of what you do, like dying.) i think each living organism Supernaturally caused or just naturally selected in some form has a meaning. For example Say a young girl named sally saw a 2leged dog which inspired her to become a vet, resulting in her saving a dog which saved a life during a terrorist attack.

BanditThePikachu

The Raichu of awesome
Years
I personally think that life has a purpose-
We all are given tasks - weather it'd be discovering new things, stopping crime - and your talents are based off of what you have to fulfill in life.

That's just what I think.

.Skylight.

Through & Beyond
Years
Life does have a purpose and that is to live them. Living life gets tough and that is when people begin to question why they exist, why am I here, what is my sole purpose? I think many people have felt this before. Just another obstacle to get over.

I'm not sure what the meaning of our lives are, but I'm not going to question the time I have here. With the time I have here I'm trying to make the best I can out of myself. I don't believe in fate, just the fact that we are here to live and to achieve our own goals we set for ourselves.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
In my opinion there's no purpose to life. Just do whatever you like and live a happy life.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm pretty positive that everyone's lives have purpose, but we don't really find out what it is until the time comes. Up to now, most people don't know what they're supposed to do in life, what they're supposed to be. And I'm one of them.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
For some people, yes, I do think it does.
Some just live life and they themselves may not do anything amazing. But perhaps their descendents will.

I have reason to believe that I was born for a reason, though. Due to a medical problem, my mother never should have been pregnant with me. Even at that, she almost had a stroke which would have killed us both. I was born 2 1/2 months early and nearly died.

My family believes that something that occurred the night I was born is the reason why I'm alive (which recently brought me to the conclusion that I currently have no reason to live anymore).

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
''You only live once, so make it a happy one.''- my favorite Youtuber, Danisnotonfire.

Basically is what I think the purpose of your life is. You only live once. So you should live your life to the full extent and be free. Make your life a happy one!

Unless you're like me and waste your entire free time on the internet.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
Years
Can I just give the really cheesy response a Christian would give you and say that our purpose in life is to spread God's word and bring people to believe in God? :9

To make it clear, I sure don't feel like my life is ever going to head that way - spreading the gospel, leading people into His way and all that (because I respect others' views on religion, whether they're a Buddhist or an atheist, and will never make people believe in Him) - but it at least is what I believe to be my purpose of life, and others too.

I believe that we exist to unite everyone under God, basically.

Note: I'm really sorry for bringing a religious opinion into this thread and accidentally cause potential flame wars. I just really want to get this off my chest :(

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
We live to live, that's it. There is no purpose. People create purposes for their lives obviously but there is not a set one, we are not the chosen species lmao, we are just pretty much like insects who live for the sake of reproducing for the sake of living.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I firmly believe that we have a purpose for living. Fate, destiny, all the like are things that have my full support. In fact, I've been doing some theorizing about the subject for the past few months. I'm not going to go through it all and make a tl;dr, but if you're interested in my thoughts you can do research about the HPM and self actualization. Though different from my own thoughts, they sparked the fascination and do play roles in my theory.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
There's no predictated purpose in our lifes, nor in any life or thing. Not even in the universe.
As for the latter afirmation, it can be better explained in this vid:
Spoiler:

And of course sometimes we humans are able to decide which purpose we want to live for. As we know about the interaction between us and the rest of the world, we trace some purpose for our lifes.

But putting aside our family and parents desire, do we have a bigger purpose for our lifes? My answer to this question is no.
We can't say that something has predicted our entire life and "made" it to follow some kind of rule.

Also, people who answer "yes" to this question are most likely to believe in a higher entity, such as some god. Is good to say, in that case, that many times the purpose that their gods supposedly put on their lifes is the purpose that they want themselves to follow.
Surely they woudn't live a life in which the supposed purpose is to be eaten or enslaved.

Back