• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Russia's Anti-GayCrackdown

Years
So they're putting on a good show before the Olympics? Does anyone really think it will last beyond that? I mean, they're going out of their way to say that it's the Olympics where they're not going to arrest anybody, etc., but what of, say, gay people in Russia who want to attend the Olympics?

Putin had that op-ed about Syria where he criticized Obama for the "American exceptionalism" remarks, but it seems like Russia should take a look in the mirror. They're got a big helping of no-one-tells-me-what-to-do attitude. That sounds like they've got their own idea of "Russian exceptionalism" to me.

Years
Putin is criticizing the idea of American exceptionalism as a justification, or to go even further, as a mandate to intervene in the affairs of other countries. The language of sovereignty really is about "no-one-tells-me-what-to-do" and is a factor never to be ignored when considering human rights. They're not being particularly exceptional because all nations protect their sovereignty - of course, nobody ever challenges American sovereignty so there's that.

I don't know if we can call that "making being gay" a crime. First of all it's directed to foreigners and not to their own population. Secondly, there doesn't seem to be a sentence for it, those accused of being gay or "pro-gay" will be detained prior to deportation. The article doesn't make any mention of jail time, which is something I think of when I think about sodomy laws. So yeah, that gay guy (LOL), it's me! Welcome back, Jay! Also, can you link me to the article about "our politicians" (not sure if national, provincial, or municipal)?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Well I can understand this but I slightly agree with it, children should not be told that doing that is okay until later on in life because as Putin said their birthrates are diminishing.
I have a grandfather who comes from a country in europe and he is hte same, strongly against it and I mean strongly so I guess it is just that generations ideals and views from very alike countries.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Well I can understand this but I slightly agree with it, children should not be told that doing that is okay until later on in life because as Putin said their birthrates are diminishing.
I have a grandfather who comes from a country in europe and he is hte same, strongly against it and I mean strongly so I guess it is just that generations ideals and views from very alike countries.

Don't forget there is a difference between having an orientation and being in a sexual relationship. Also let's not forget that as children growing up we are from the moment of our birth bombarded with examples of human sexuality. When a mother and a father kiss, when they hold hands, are two just such examples. Or how about during family get togethers when talk of who is in love with who. We humans are bombarded with sexuality from the very beginning. So why then, do you think, it's alright for one aspect of human sexuality to be "shoved down our throats" but another has to be avoided at all costs? The reason, fear and ignorance of things that are different. Plain and simple, I'm afraid.

And the reason why birthrates are diminishing, not just in Russia but in the world all over, is because people just can't afford to have children. It's no different in North America where birthrates have been steadily declining. Where once people were having large families, no it's not uncommon for a couple to have just one child. And let's not ignore the simple fact that more and more women are opting not to start a family until later on in life when they've established themselves in a stable career. And since those are increasingly rare to find these days, that means more and more couples are simply choosing not to have children.

Years
Making homosexuality a crime doesn't make birth rates go up. The gay people aren't going to suddenly turn straight because it's illegal. Also, keep in mind that these are people's lives being not only ruined but literally destroyed. Homosexuals and allies are being hunted down, tortured, and killed. Russia's official stance on this behavior is that these terrorists are actually public servants. This isn't happening in back alleys or someone's basement or even an abandoned warehouse somewhere. This is happening in the streets during broad daylight.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Making homosexuality a crime doesn't make birth rates go up. The gay people aren't going to suddenly turn straight because it's illegal. Also, keep in mind that these are people's lives being not only ruined but literally destroyed. Homosexuals and allies are being hunted down, tortured, and killed. Russia's official stance on this behavior is that these terrorists are actually public servants. This isn't happening in back alleys or someone's basement or even an abandoned warehouse somewhere. This is happening in the streets during broad daylight.
Sort of reminds me of what the Nazi's did...but not to as bad an extent but still bad none the less. Hopefully LGBTQ people in Russia will be able to keep their heads up against this storm against them.

Also someone mentioned the Berlin Olympics...if these are to be anything like the Berlin Olympics then gays will need to win some medals like how African (Americans) won medals at Hitler's Olympics.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
Sort of reminds me of what the Nazi's did...but not to as bad an extent but still bad none the less. Hopefully LGBTQ people in Russia will be able to keep their heads up against this storm against them.

Also someone mentioned the Berlin Olympics...if these are to be anything like the Berlin Olympics then gays will need to win some medals like how African (Americans) won medals at Hitler's Olympics.

There's no guarantee that it won't become as bad as it was for the Jews in Nazi Germany - but there is also no guarantee that it will become that bad. However, there is still no excuse for this horrid treatment of people. They haven't done anything wrong, and so why should the Russians be allowed to persecute them, to any extent? Why would it need to be as bad as the treatment of Jews for anything to be done?
--------------------
It seems likely to me for gays to win with at least one medal.

Years
So... Russia is still doing it's thing. Nothing changed on that front.

In related news, the torch rely for the Olympics had several hiccups and the flame went out three times already. Oh, and the Russian athletes are wearing rainbow themed uniforms.

2vbwg7p.jpg

Germany also has some snazzy digs, though they say it's got nothing to do with Russia's gay rights abuse.

tumblr_inline_mu5o6zALbG1qzaj1b.png

Sure, we believe you Germany. *wink wink*

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I'm not shocked. But then again, Putin won't remove himself from politics, and Russia will remain corrupt as long as he is in power. Putin is too powerful.

A lot of Russians are old-fashioned and nationalistic, so I would think nothing of it. Nazism is getting popular there and yet Russia was on the good guys' side in the war.

Years
Capitalism is capitalism, human rights are human rights, and domestic politics are domestic politics. They'll do it their way.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I think if it abides by the law, then people should live however they want to. However, it does not abide by Russia's law so it is fair. If Russia wants to deny it, then that is their privilege. I do have to say this though, Russia is going to get much crap about this internationally. Saying that it is similar to the Berlin Olympics however is taking it to an extreme. While discrimination is going on, it's not to the extreme of Nazi Germany I don't believe.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
Sorry for doing biggest mistake - but I agree with V.Putin words and actions. Me too do not like homo's, but if they don't do a parades per whole city and kid didn't see them that's ok, but if they do - V.Putin is a savior, best president in the world ( still I do not like him because he is a russian. I'm lithuanian - what to expect more from me? )

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Sorry for doing biggest mistake - but I agree with V.Putin words and actions. Me too do not like homo's, but if they don't do a parades per whole city and kid didn't see them that's ok, but if they do - V.Putin is a savior, best president in the world ( still I do not like him because he is a russian. I'm lithuanian - what to expect more from me? )

But that begs to question: why don't you like people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual (and I'm guessing transexual as well)? What have any of these people done to you personally to illicit such condemnation? The law in question has led to a dramatic increase in assaults and murders against these people with very little action on the part of law enforcement investigating and prosecuting these crimes. In fact, in some instances, the police have turned a blind eye to such violence when it occurs. I sincerely hope this is not what you are applauding because this is EXACTLY the consequences of Putin signing the act into law.

I am a gay man, living with the most wonderful man I could ever have fallen in love with, and in a country that thankfully recognizes my rights as a citizen including my right to get married to him if we so choose. What laws like that in Russia do is promote hatred and violence. It's barbaric and uncivilized in my opinion. It's a country I would never visit. The U.S., sadly, is another country I would never visit because the majority of states in that country refuses to recognize the rights of its LGBT citizens. Heck, a former minister in the Ontario Government was refused entry into the U.S. because he was married to his husband, and because the U.S. did not recognize same sex marriages, he was denied entry until he changed his passport to list him as single.

Poki

Banned
Years
You know what I hate about some homosexual people? The way they represent their people. Ya know, shoving their sexual orientation in other people's faces, letting everyone know that they're homo, being loud and obnoxious about it, and more of the sort.

I believe that is the reason why most people don't take 'em kindly.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
... and you think heterosexuals don't do the same? It's on display with every billboard featuring a lovely lady in a skimpy outfit, or every time you see two people on a bench somewhere enjoying a loving embrace. Heterosexuality is pushed on people everywhere you go. The only people who would be uncomfortable with homosexuals doing the same are the people who are prejudiced in their thinking.

Poki

Banned
Years
... and you think heterosexuals don't do the same? It's on display with every billboard featuring a lovely lady in a skimpy outfit, or every time you see two people on a bench somewhere enjoying a loving embrace. Heterosexuality is pushed on people everywhere you go. The only people who would be uncomfortable with homosexuals doing the same are the people who are prejudiced in their thinking.

Just saying that people should mind their own ****ing business, and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone's sexuality, unless it's shoved down my throat.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
Years
You know what I hate about some homosexual people? The way they represent their people. Ya know, shoving their sexual orientation in other people's faces, letting everyone know that they're homo, being loud and obnoxious about it, and more of the sort.

I believe that is the reason why most people don't take 'em kindly.

I assume you're referring to pride parades and especially flaming individuals. What may I ask is the problem with pride events? You may find them to be uncomfortable, but for many LGBT individuals, they are a symbol of hope. What you consider "shoving it into your face" tells many a gay or lesbian child that it's okay to be who they are, and that they shouldn't keep themselves closeted their entire lives just because some people get offended at something they were born with.

Years
There's a gay member of this site who's also a friend of mine who can vouch on southpark's side. I think it comes from pride events being more "shoving into your face" than "expressing who they are". On the flip side, I don't think not being cool with pride parades amounts to encouraging people to stay closeted or discouraging them from coming out. People can be offended for many reasons, and sexual orientation doesn't have to be one of them.

That being said, there's more to pride parades than the flamboyant side. But of course there's nothing more interesting than normal people walking, right?

Poki

Banned
Years
I assume you're referring to pride parades and especially flaming individuals. What may I ask is the problem with pride events? You may find them to be uncomfortable, but for many LGBT individuals, they are a symbol of hope. What you consider "shoving it into your face" tells many a gay or lesbian child that it's okay to be who they are, and that they shouldn't keep themselves closeted their entire lives just because some people get offended at something they were born with.

I believe that my second reply will answer your question. No need to repeat myself.

Back