• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
New folder error

Ok. Last time I downloaded essentials (7) I got an error as soon as I opened the test game, without changing anything. I already had a file, so I ignored it. I just downloaded version 8, and I think it is the same error. I haven't changed anything. What does this mean? How do I fix it?

Spoiler:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Maruno said:
delete your saved game
Nickalooose said:
delete your saved game
The Wiki said:
delete your saved game
Every Page Since The Release Of Essentials 7 said:
delete your saved game
Burger King's Meal 5 Fine Print said:
delete your saved game
God Himself said:
delete your saved game
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
We need to get to the chopperrrr
Your Fart Bubble In The Bathtub said:
delete your saved game

I can do this all day...

It's strange. I don't have any save files in the folder of the latest release, yet I'm still receiving this error.

Yes you do, we wouldn't make it up and say you do when you don't... And I'm gonna take a stab and say Maruno isn't going to lie to you!

Make sure you're looking in the correct folder.

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\Pokémon Essentials

I'll quote this because it's as simple as ABC... Copy and paste this into a URL bar, anywhere, but replace username with YOUR USERNAME for YOUR laptop or PC:

Ok. Last time I downloaded essentials (7) I got an error as soon as I opened the test game, without changing anything. I already had a file, so I ignored it. I just downloaded version 8, and I think it is the same error. I haven't changed anything. What does this mean? How do I fix it?

I think you need to read a lot more... Where did you download Essentials... If it's from the only place Maruno leaves a download link, then you would have seen a nice big warning sign saying what you'd have to do upon downloading any Essentials after version 6...

I'm beginning to think WARNINGs are useless to the simplest of breed... And it's becoming such a neusence to keep repeating the same thing to the same question, to the same error every day...

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I can do this all day...

Yes you do, we wouldn't make it up and say you do when you don't... And I'm gonna take a stab and say Maruno isn't going to lie to you!

I'll quote this because it's as simple as ABC... Copy and paste this into a URL bar, anywhere, but replace username with YOUR USERNAME for YOUR laptop or PC:

I think you need to read a lot more... Where did you download Essentials... If it's from the only place Maruno leaves a download link, then you would have seen a nice big warning sign saying what you'd have to do upon downloading any Essentials after version 6...

I'm beginning to think WARNINGs are useless to the simplest of breed... And it's becoming such a neusence to keep repeating the same thing to the same question, to the same error every day...

I'm sorry i feel really bad now. I can't believe I didn't see that warning. Ive been on the page about 100 times. I saw it said to everyone else, I didn't realize it applied when downloading a new folder too. Sorry :( but thank you

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I can do this all day...

Hey, watch it. I know it can be frustrating but people who are new to Pokemon Essentials aren't necessarily going to notice everything. Remember how daunting it was the first time you stepped into Game Development? Watch the tone you take with members in future. If you're not going to be kind with your answer, then don't post at all.

As I say, I know it can be frustrating, but consider the fact that there's actually some people who don't pick up on every detail, no matter how obvious. We've all made simple mistakes. So cut new members some slack.

Anyway, don't reply to this here, but just be kind to one another guys okay? This isn't the first instance I've seen. I don't want to have to come in here more times, I defiantly don't want to be handing out warnings or infractions.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
This error is too frequent. Maruno really need to use a begin/rescue clause that show this alert or even automatic delete (caution on this) the save file.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
This error is too frequent. Maruno really need to use a begin/rescue clause that show this alert or even automatic delete (caution on this) the save file.

The error is too frequent and it's an unneccasary error to come across.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
There is already code that does that, but the game quits before it can do so. I've now rearranged things so that, if the save file is corrupt or incompatible, it will say so and then offer the player the chance to delete the save file and start anew. If they refuse, then the game closes with the scss error.

After the next release, we will instead be flooded with questions asking why the save file is corrupted. People just won't learn, particularly if what they need to learn is "how to read", so there's no way we can actually stop these questions.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Move Relearner don't works:

Spoiler:

Move Deleter bug:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
When a foe pokémon has the ability Prankster, you can not battle this pokémon. If you choose a move, you will return to the command menu instead of using the move.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
After the next release, we will instead be flooded with questions asking why the save file is corrupted. People just won't learn, particularly if what they need to learn is "how to read", so there's no way we can actually stop these questions.
So put after the corrupted message something like "Please note that you need to delete your save when updating Essentials. Your save can be found in C:\Users\yourusernamenamehere\Saved Games\Pokémon Essentials" when the debug is on or even when it is off.

Just seconding that the game crashes when double battles start.
I also find this error in Multi Battles.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
So put after the corrupted message something like "Please note that you need to delete your save when updating Essentials. Your save can be found in C:\Users\yourusernamenamehere\Saved Games\Pokémon Essentials" when the debug is on or even when it is off.

I also find this error in Multi Battles.

I third the double battle error. Just tried it.

Maruno

Years
Okay, I get it! Double battles don't work! Stop reporting it!

For those who want a fix, go into PokeBattle_Battle to line 315. Change the following code like so:

Code:
    for i in 0..3
      battlers[i]=PokeBattle_Battler.new(self,i)
    end
    [COLOR=Red]for i in @party1
      next if !i
      i.itemRecycle=0
      i.itemInitial=i.item
    end
    for i in @party2
      next if !i
      i.itemRecycle=0
      i.itemInitial=i.item
    end[/COLOR]
    @decision=0
    @opponent=opponent
    @weather=0

Years
Well, I found two more bugs:

1. If I create an event, that has the command "pbSet(64,pbEnterText("Deine Meinung?",1,14))" and afterwars it has the conditional branch that checks if the variable 64 has a particular value (In this case, a word), the conditional branch doesn't work.

eg.: You type the word "biarr" and the cinditional branch checks this input:

Conditional Branch: Script: $game_variables[64] == "Bizzar"

Even if variable 64 has the value "Bizarr" (without the quote sign), the script goes to the else-section instead.

2. If you use the "Input Number"-Command, the game will crash with this error:

Code:
Exception: ArgumentError
PokemonMessages:851:in `<'
PokemonMessages:851:in `clamp'
PokemonMessages:807:in `initialNumber'
PokemonMessages:872:in `pbChooseNumber'
PokemonMessages:1087:in `pbMessageChooseNumber'
PokemonMessages:1086:in `call'
PokemonMessages:1575:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages:1088:in `pbMessageChooseNumber'
PokemonMessages:660:in `command_101'
Interpreter:304:in `execute_command'

In the previous version both things has been working.

An another minor bug: The move "Flame Charge" doesn't increase the user's speed. And some pokémon, that have a particular move, can not attack, eg. if they have the move "Punishment". There is more moves, that prevend pokemon to attack, but I don't know whichever.

Edit: An another bug: A scenario:
Your pokémon choose a move (e.g Flame Burst)
Foe pokémon fainted, before your pokémon use the choosen move.
You're switching your pokémon out, the trainer is calling his next pokémon.
Your switched pokemon uses the move of the previous pokémon (Flame Burst)

The bug is that the new pokémon uses the move from the previous pokémon.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Well, I found two more bugs:

1. If I create an event, that has the command "pbSet(64,pbEnterText("Deine Meinung?",1,14))" and afterwars it has the conditional branch that checks if the variable 64 has a particular value (In this case, a word), the conditional branch doesn't work.

eg.: You type the word "biarr" and the cinditional branch checks this input:

Conditional Branch: Script: $game_variables[64] == "Bizzar"

Even if variable 64 has the value "Bizarr" (without the quote sign), the script goes to the else-section instead.

2. If you use the "Input Number"-Command, the game will crash with this error:

Code:
Exception: ArgumentError
PokemonMessages:851:in `<'
PokemonMessages:851:in `clamp'
PokemonMessages:807:in `initialNumber'
PokemonMessages:872:in `pbChooseNumber'
PokemonMessages:1087:in `pbMessageChooseNumber'
PokemonMessages:1086:in `call'
PokemonMessages:1575:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages:1088:in `pbMessageChooseNumber'
PokemonMessages:660:in `command_101'
Interpreter:304:in `execute_command'
In the previous version both things has been working.
Neither of those features is broken. I've attached a picture of two events which use them perfectly. I've no idea what you did for the number input in order to get that error, though.

An another minor bug: The move "Flame Charge" doesn't increase the user's speed. And some pokémon, that have a particular move, can not attack, eg. if they have the move "Punishment". There is more moves, that prevend pokemon to attack, but I don't know whichever.
Flame Charge isn't defined properly in moves.txt (its additional effect chance needs to be 100 rather than 0). Fiery Dance is the same, except with a chance of 50. There may be others.

Punishment's effect is incorrect. Here's the working version:

Code:
class PokeBattle_Move_08F < PokeBattle_Move
  def pbBaseDamage(basedmg,attacker,opponent)
    multiplier=0
    for i in [PBStats::ATTACK,PBStats::DEFENSE,PBStats::SPEED,
              PBStats::SPATK,PBStats::SPDEF,PBStats::ACCURACY,PBStats::EVASION]
      multiplier+=opponent.stages[i] if opponent.stages[i]>0
    end
    ret=20*(multiplier+3)
    ret=200 if ret>200
    return ret
  end
end
The old code tried checking the HP's stage value, which didn't exist, so this method was exited without defining a base damage (resulting in the rest of the move not working).

Edit: An another bug: A scenario:
Your pokémon choose a move (e.g Flame Burst)
Foe pokémon fainted, before your pokémon use the choosen move.
You're switching your pokémon out, the trainer is calling his next pokémon.
Your switched pokemon uses the move of the previous pokémon (Flame Burst)

The bug is that the new pokémon uses the move from the previous pokémon.
That's been reported previously (quite a while ago, I think), although I haven't looked into it yet.

Years
Neither of those features is broken. I've attached a picture of two events which use them perfectly. I've no idea what you did for the number input in order to get that error, though.

Hm, I will take a look on my event later. I've changed many scripts, so one of the changes could be the wrongdoer (btw I'm not sure if wrongdoer is the correct translation for that what I mean, dict.leo gave me five words for the german word "übeltäter").

As always, thank you very much.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Chilan Berry, Passho Berry and all other types berries don't work.

Also I found another bug. When an attack is done by animation, the sprites disappear.
Spoiler:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I predict several people calling "Double battles don't work!" before the next release.
Hm, I will take a look on my event later. I've changed many scripts, so one of the changes could be the wrongdoer (btw I'm not sure if wrongdoer is the correct translation for that what I mean, dict.leo gave me five words for the german word "übeltäter").

As always, thank you very much.
In some events scripts the Essentials change '$game_variables[64] == "Bizzar" ' to 'pbGet(64) == "Bizzar" '. Try this change.
Before a number input try to make the variable that you will put the number equals a fixnumber,

Maruno

Years
Chilan Berry, Passho Berry and all other types berries don't work.

Also I found another bug. When an attack is done by animation, the sprites disappear.
Spoiler:
The sprites disappearing has never happened to me. What move/animation did you use, and have you mucked around with anything?

I'll think about releasing version 8.1 with a bunch of bug fixes. It would help if everyone tried out all the new effects and things that were added in version 8, and reported them if they're incorrect.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I'll think about releasing version 8.1 with a bunch of bug fixes. It would help if everyone tried out all the new effects and things that were added in version 8, and reported them if they're incorrect.
I agree. I thinks that only the double battle fix is urgent, but the choice is yours.

Back