• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Poke Island (SE)

|Maximus|

I'm back~
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2010
Oh alright so you made some and you found some.Anways this game is looking really good try to release some screens.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Oh yes. You have to download them all and then unzip the first with winrar and that will unzip them all. Then you run the setup and can just play the game.

Also, there's another game I'd like to show you if you want to see more of my work. I went looking for some old games and lo and behold I stumbled across the magnum opus of my RM2k gaming-hood: Spirit Legend. It's not finished but there's about 2 hours of gameplay in it, and it has some unique gameplay elements, even though the storyline is a little uh, amateur.

I've been messing with some of my old games to get a feel for RPG maker again in case you want to use it still, and I'm pleased to say that I don't seem to have forgotten much! So yeah, all systems are go.

Kine

Whatev
Years
I played a bit of the boredom game. It was pretty funny, especially the part about Evil blowing things up twice.

But at any rate, I thought it was gonna be in BYOND. Is that link in your sig a game in BYOND, and would that be a good way to test the engine or what?

Anyway, it may be a while off before we ever get to any coding or whatever, I suppose if you want you can read up on how Ruby in XP works, or maybe you're good at graphics? I could always use a lot more graphic artists.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Eh heh.. compared to you I'm a total amateur with graphics. I DO however have the first 251 Pokemon from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon ripped and converted into 32x32 walking sprites, though I don't think that helps. And yes, if you WANT, the game can be in BYOND. Boredom was just a demonstration of my games, and the link in my sig DOES go to a BYOND game I made.

Um... what else... oh yeah, I don't mind how long it takes since I have more than enough to keep my plenty busy as is. Just let me know what you'd like to do or try and when, and I'll get onto it.

Kine

Whatev
Years
That I can use. Actually, if you have a sprite sheet of Pokemon from 120 to 151, Houou, Togepi, Pichu, Marill, Snubble and Donphan, that would be most helpful. Spriters Resource only has up to about 122 or something (I can never remember who all is in that group, the whole Magmar-Jynx- Scyther group), and I only need Gen 1 Pokemon plus whoever was revealed at the time (and Pichu). I won't use the sprites, of course, but PMD sprites are good for getting all angles of Pokemon, because save for the anime, you never get a really good view of them. I'd hate to just make guesses on what backsides or some such look like. This isn't a problem for Pokemon I've been drawing forever but like Blastoise or Gyarados, yeah I can only assume...

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Well the icons are all in dmi form, which is BYOND's form of icon. However, they can be simply copied and pasted into any graphical program from BYOND (since they are stored as bitmaps in the dmi files). So yeah, if you don't mind downloading BYOND, I don't mind sharing the icons (provided you keep them to yourself/poke island, since these icons were ripped by my hard working friends). If the file doesn't end up too big, I can email them to you.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Fair enough. I'll let you know when I download it, which may be a while now the the weekdays have started again.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Bumpty

Alright, a couple of weeks later and now I've downloaded BYOND.

Now what happens? Also, I remembered I would need those PMD sprites. It occured to me again one day when I was doing more sprites and was like "wait... I don't know how this guy looks at this angle". I think it was Pinsir. =\

By the by, I think someone by the name of Mr.Accident at Starmen.net is working on some sorta battle BG extractor/editor something like that. That'll definately help with what I was meaning to do for the last battle if all works out. Just thought I'd mention that considering how I was talking about that for a while.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Well... BYOND has two features once installed. The first is dream seeker, which allows you to play BYOND games, such as the one in my signature. The other one is Dream Maker, which is the games making part. I'm uh... well it's been over 24 hours since I last slept so I'm kind of dizzy and not thinking straight so I think I'll go lie down now. I'll send you those sprites soon... but they are only 4 directional (just a warning)

Kine

Whatev
Years
Okay. I may have a chance to fiddle with it this weekend. Hopefully it's not a contrived program. Also, the 4 directions shouldn't be a problem... except where they will be (uh oh, Gyarados >_>). If I know where to find them in game (or some sort code to change the main character), then I can get the rest.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
I've sent you the files. Sorry 'bout the lag time, it's the build up to exams and I'm pretty much flat-out studying.

Last edited:

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
This is looking incredible, Kine. Actually, like Avatar said, this is one of the better looking projects on the board that has been coming up recently, so I wish you look with this. And, is this supposed to resemble Mystery Dungeon, because it looks a great deal like it!

Kine

Whatev
Years
Perp- No prob. Still not in any stage to code anything yet, uh... well just so you have something to do, though, tell me if tilesets are anything like RM, and if it's more or less flexable.

I plan on creating full maps, and then either importing it straight or chopping it into pieces because there's too much structure in the enviroments to just have tiles haphazardly placed all over. Especially when it comes to lining stuff up. On top of that, the game moves on a pixel by pixel basis, so I can't have everything uniformly in tiles like a traditional Pokemon game anyway.

Improfane- I actually have both ModPlug Tracker and Fruityloops, but I'm still no composer by and large. The only songs I've made was a sort of Panel de Pon esque panic song just incase I ever got around to creating a sort of PdP using later PI series characters, and a remix of the Insane level of Kirby Star Stacker, but they're far from useable quality.

I'm more than likely gonna hire a musician anyway for the several tracks I need specially composed. I'm not too worried about a full ST, though, as s/he probably doesn't have that kind of time and I know I don't have that kind of money.

And the girl thing... it never fails. There's been plently of people who otherwise had me mistaken.

Esmas - Thanks for the compliments. If anything, though, PMD resembles this (not entirely). PI existed long before then. It's closer to EarthBound, though, and in my own twisted way is related to the MOTHER series, not to a point where I'd label it a MOTHER (fan)game, but more than just some winks and refs.

It's a tie in I can get away with, though, considering R/G/B/Y was actually indeed inspired by the MOTHER games but I think beyond that it became it's own thing (considering G/S/C and up seems like a whole different ballpark), Creatures Inc once being Ape Inc, Hirokazu Tanaka, Benimaru Itoh, etc...

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
In RPGMaker, you import tilesets and they are auto broken-up for you, and you can only set certain values for them. In DM, you make your own turfs completely from scratch, and can give them any kinds of attributes you can code. You can also make turfs which are subsets of other turfs and inherit all of their basic functionalities plus more.

For example, you can make a water turf (which is only passable by water/flying Pokemon) and make a deep water turf which is the same as water, but can also be dived in. Or, without making a sub-turf you could make a secret wall doof turf which is completely different to your wall turf but has the same icon. You can even have turfs based off of turfs based off of turfs... like, well I can't imagine why you'd go that far but it's doable.

Maaaan... pixel by pixel collisions are gonna be a pain in the ass. I'm going to start looking up some libraries for it on the BYOND site and doing a few test programs to get used to it before I try implementing anything. Pixel movement shouldn't be too hard, but yeah unless you intend to have the entire tile of the ground be collide-able I'ma have to figure something out...

Kine

Whatev
Years
Wait, don't. Not yet.

It's getting icreasingly harder to choose which engine I want to use in the long run. What I need to do is have a sort of pros and cons list of both, and see which of the two has the pros outweigh the cons, or if that doesn't happen, which has less cons.

I think you've done this already with BYOND, at least some pros, but now I'm gonna try to see it side by side.

~RPGMaker~
Pros:
- Since most people use it, there's more support for it.

Cons:
- Sucks with sprite allowance. I absolutely need to have a lot of sprite allowance.

~BYOND~
Pros:

Cons:
- No MP3 support (music conversion's gonna take a lot of time, and I don't even know if the OGGs will even play on a person's computer who doesn't have a method of playing it...like mine)

Okay the list is thin, I forgot a lot of stuff. Both forgot and just don't know. A potential con for BYOND, though... do you have to sign up to play games or can you create an executable file? I know I'm gonna lose some people if they gotta sign up just to play it. Then again, in a way I guess that keeps the program more secure.

It's reasons like the above as to why I can't come to any definate conclusions. I'm going to go back to spriting now. It's a safe mindless task. ^_^;

... well there's always Game Maker... '~'

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Well, no worries about the pixel thing, I didn't get time for it thanks to exams. IN any case, I BELIEVE that you can create an exe using BYOND which allows people to run the game just fine without ever downloading the BYOND files, and I know there's an option that allows people to play without creating an account.

It's probably best if you play with BYOND a bit if you want to make that list. I can tell you stuff but it's not necessarily going to be a pro or con to you. If you personally do it you'll surely get a good idea of if you want to mess with it or not.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Cool. Does it come with tutorials? I think I mentioned it before but one of the suckier things about RM was that it barely had documentation. I can't just jump into a product, I gotta read up on it and do side by side projects, that is, a tutorial.

You don't know how long it took me to figure out why tilesets weren't importing right in RMXP. No docs, and apparently no one ever tells you the FULL explaination on forums. -_-

Soooo, help me avoid 2-4 weeks of trial and error, please?

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Yep, BYOND has tons of tutorials, including the thing I used to get started, the DM guide (I would link but again I don't have enough freaking posts >_>). Anyway, you can find the DM guide and many other resources if you go to the BYOND games page and click "Create Games" in the sidebar on the left. Also, players make their own tutorials and libraries, so you'll often have the code you need already made for you, which is pretty handy.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Cool beans. I'll give it a go sooner or later.

Dash- Yeah... if you can make a code for it. And even then it's gotta be compatible with everything else. That's the main problem. Remember, by sprite allowance I don't mean size, I mean quanity (trust me, I know for a fact there's going to be a scene where a character has about 30+ sprites in an event you'll see all of one time). And you only have a few self switches.

And every character is different. Pikachu's walk is four frames total, but Pidgey's hop only three. Tauros probably five... Stuff like that, I don't want to have to be tied down to a standard.

Back