• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Preventing übern00bs from joining PC.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Am I the only one sick and tired of people typing so poorly around here? No, I'm not. I can't be! So I had a few ideas:

During registration, before an account can be created, I think there should be a typing test that tests to see whether someone can actually type. I'm not talking about anything perfect, but something that you can actually read without having to pull out the inner n00b inside of you in order to read it? Also, there should be a test (kind of like that egg site Erica is obsessed over has) that quizzes whether you've read the rules.

If newly registered users pass the test and types properly in the typing test, they can submit their registration and then the email for verification comes out to them. If not, they can't continue the registration.

Thoughts? Suggestions for improvement? I now this idea is pretty awesome so there is no need for it to be critiqued as I'm sure it's above such requirements.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
idk if that's fair to those that don't know English as well as most members here. Plus, I'm sure some of us here were nubs once, and obviously if we're on staff now, we've come a long way. I'm a little iffy. There is that one guy with terrible typing that stuck out when I read this, so lol...I kinda don't want more people that type like that...ehhh. I'm still on the fence.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Fair point! We can have add a tickbox asking if English is their native language. If they tick it on their first try, then they don't have to do the typing test.

But this is for übern00bs. Totally different level than nubs!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I can tolerate "noob speak", but in all honesty, I disagree. It just seems too much for a new member to just sign up and make an account here. It also makes PC unwelcoming to anyone wanting to sign up, regardless of how "noobish" they are.

I just think that would lower the number of new members that sign up here on PC, and that = less activity & not much new members to welcome. :( Thaaaaats just how I view it, idk about y'all.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Yeah, I agree with Megan. All this noob speak, leet speak, w/e can be pretty annoying, though with such a big community as this, we're bound to get members who talk like that. And to be honest, trolls are far worse than noobs, yet they're still let into the forum and able to perform their trolling untill they eventually get banned, but you want to prevent people from joining just because they can't spell properly? Seems kind of unfair to me :/

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, I agree with the others. I mean, it took me a long time to sign up for that egg site with its test on the rules because I was worried that if I screwed up, I wouldn't ever be able to join. So I went elsewhere. (Oh, that was a mistake. But I digress.) If we have a test for registration here, then potential members will go to other forums.

Also, it would be kind of difficult to set any regulation as to what counts as "n00b speak." Elsewhere, I've seen a "no chatspeak" rule on the forums, which (given the posts just in this thread) the staff would break. So...eh.

Yeah, I'm against this.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I, for one, am appalled that you think someone should be able to speak English on these forums. What good is having a standard for communication? It seems silly to me. I think we should just talk however and in whatever language we feel like! Viva la revolution!

Years
Why should we go to all this effort that won't do anything but make it more difficult for non-English speakers to register? It won't do ANYTHING to prevent more übern00bs from joining anyway, as they are all predominantly native English speakers. Just man up and gently guide them into using somewhat proper grammar, ya pansy.

twocows

Years
Why should we go to all this effort that won't do anything but make it more difficult for non-English speakers to register? It won't do ANYTHING to prevent more übern00bs from joining anyway, as they are all predominantly native English speakers. Just man up and gently guide them into using somewhat proper grammar, ya pansy.
Excatly! Only idiots use English, anyway. True mon amis use whatever lengua they kimochi like using at a given time.

Years
I've adjusted to automatically correct n00b-speak because of so many encounters. Haven't seen such n00bs around anyways. i liek ur idea nik =)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I think we should just ban people whose native language isn't English from joining, full stop. They'll never be able to truly communicate with true English speakers. It's a problem we have had for too long and we should fix it once and for all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think we should just ban people whose native language isn't English from joining, full stop. They'll never be able to truly communicate with true English speakers. It's a problem we have had for too long and we should fix it once and for all.

Uhhh you're not a native English speaker, your main/first language was Spanish, so...

Enjoy your ban I guess?

I don't know how I feel about Nick's idea though.

Years

Uhhh you're not a native English speaker, your main/first language was Spanish, so...

Enjoy your ban I guess?

I don't know how I feel about Nick's idea though.

No no, all staff are exempt from these rules... You know how it works. One rule for one...​

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Well I feel personally victimized from all of you for my speaking out and saying what everyone was thinking. I'm not stupid, I can see right through these acts.

But that's okay, that's okay. I forgive you all.

I'll just post this in HQ. They'll all agree with me since they aren't softened by having to interact with members on a day-to-day basis to the point where you guys are. Damn they have some of you so good. Clutched in the palm of their hand to speak out against things that are aimed against them - even the n00bs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
No no, all staff are exempt from these rules... You know how it works. One rule for one...​
As an ex-S-Mod and Führer of PokéCommunity, I decree that we should change the Staff Lounge description to this wondrous mantra. We all know it's true; might as well make it official.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HANG ON IT JUST DAWNED UPON ME...!

If you banned non-native English speakers, you would be effectively banning my boyfriend. I'll have you know that he speaks perfectly fine at English, and has much better grammar than I. Therefore, instead of suggesting to ban my boyfriend, you are in fact suggesting to ban me. The staff clause wouldn't apply because you'd make it not apply somehow. And even so, my boyfriend wouldn't be able to protect me because he'll be banned and he isn't even around here anyway! I do believe that your suggestion is effectively both racist and very bias against me and I can't stand that, Went. I'm sorry but your suggestion definitely does not fly with me and I hope you think about your actions.

Now excuse me while I get back to watching Desperate Housewives.

twocows

Years
HANG ON IT JUST DAWNED UPON ME...!

If you banned non-native English speakers, you would be effectively banning my boyfriend. I'll have you know that he speaks perfectly fine at English, and has much better grammar than I. Therefore, instead of suggesting to ban my boyfriend, you are in fact suggesting to ban me. The staff clause wouldn't apply because you'd make it not apply somehow. And even so, my boyfriend wouldn't be able to protect me because he'll be banned and he isn't even around here anyway! I do believe that your suggestion is effectively both racist and very bias against me and I can't stand that, Went. I'm sorry but your suggestion definitely does not fly with me and I hope you think about your actions.

Now excuse me while I get back to watching Desperate Housewives.
I change my vote; I totally support it now.

Years
Test ALL the new members! It will be amazing. Every time someone talks in noobspeak, I kill a kitten. SAVE THE KITTENS FOLKS

Also, don't ban the non-native speakers. Some speak English better than native speakers! People who talk noobspeak are just lazy ****ers, plain and simple.

Well I feel personally victimized from all of you for my speaking out and saying what everyone was thinking. I'm not stupid, I can see right through these acts.

But that's okay, that's okay. I forgive you all.

I'll just post this in HQ. They'll all agree with me since they aren't softened by having to interact with members on a day-to-day basis to the point where you guys are. Damn they have some of you so good. Clutched in the palm of their hand to speak out against things that are aimed against them - even the n00bs.

Baaaaaw, cry moar.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This reminds me of a comment I got from some bigot on YouTube. The said something about how Mexicans should learn English if they're gonna cross the border, but it was all misspelled and terrible. I wanted to reply with, "I'm sure the Mexican immigrants know English better than you, judging by that terrible display." lol

Back