• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive OU Team

Years
*Metagross
~ Stealth Rock
~ Meteor Mash / Earthquake
~ Bullet Punch
~ Explosion

*Empoleon
~ Hydro Pump / Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Grass Knot
~ Sleep Talk / Hidden Power Electric

*Breloom
~ Spore
~ Stun Spore
~ Focus Punch
~ Seed Bomb / Stone Edge

*Gyarydos
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake / Bounce

*Mamoswine
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Shard
~ Stone Edge
~ Superpower

*Honchkrow
~ Brave Bird
~ Sucker Punch
~ Dark Pulse
~ Heat Wave

- I'm thinking about dropping mamoswine, but what in exchange.
- Any help is wanted
-This is for Heart Gold/ Soul Silver
-Thanks!

Katastrophe

I feel infinite.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
First, it's helpful if you include things like the Nature, EVs, Ability, and the item you plan to equip on these Pokemon. These things are VERY important.

Just a quick glance...
The Metagross' moveset is fairly average - I'd recommend Meteor Mash over Earthquake, if not just because you have a few other Pokemon with Earthquake already so Ground-type moves are fairly covered. Plus, Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch is a great counter for some Focus Sash'd leads, like Aerodactyl.

Empoleon
Hydro Pump / Surf is just a classic Power or Accuracy debate, and is entirely your call. Also, why does it have Sleep Talk? Unless you're running Rest on it for a RestTalk set, you're basically going to have to predict when a Sleep-move is coming and make Empoleon take it. But then you lose'll your ability to counter. Use HP Electric, as it'll give you better coverage.

Breloom
There's really no reason to have Spore AND Stun Spore, as you can't use both on the same Pokemon. Stun Spore gives your Paralyze, which will lower their speed and has a 25% of making them skip their turn, but at a 75% Accuracy rate. Spore is 100% Accuracy, but sleep naturally wears off. I'd recommend Spore, just because it's 100% chance. As far as the movepool, drop one of the "spores" for Substitute. Make sure you run Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, as this will recover more HP then Leftovers. I'd say keep Seed Bomb as well, for the STAB.

Gyarados
Generic DD Gyarados is generic. Nothing to say here, as you can read it on smogon.

Mamoswine
Physical attacker set, pretty standard. Again, anything I can say has been said on smogon.

Honchkrow
This is pretty much a mixed attacker which... there are better mixed attackers out there then Honchkrow, and I should also note that he's the only Pokemon on your team that has a Fire, Dark, or Flying-type move.

My overall opinion is to maybe drop Mamoswine and Honchkrow and pick up another special attacker and probably a wall or some sort of support. A RestTalk Snorlax is usually what I like to use. He's a good stall and has pretty nice DEF and SpD stats, so he can switch in to take hits or Thunderwaves or Spore and Rest it allll away, and then Sleep Talk-Body Slam the poop out of things. :D

Alakazam or Gengar make good SpA Pokemon, though their pretty frail. There's a good offensive Zapdos build on smogon that has EXCELLENT type coverage as well.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Honchkrow is subpar for the fourth generation imo, especially since it doesn't have the ability Moxie (which it gets in the fifth). I'd replace it for something else, though I'm not sure what since I'm totally not that familiar with the fourth gen metagame. I miiiight leave that for people who are more comfortable with it. :x

Breloom is awesome and Dual-Status is a great idea, but it's not something Breloom should be trying to pull off. Unlike most other Grass-types, Breloom has a decent dual-typing and has the ability to go really aggressive - it'd rather make the most of that rather than trying to go around and get status on everything. And when you pick between them, please be smart and pick Spore because the 75 acc on Stun Spore sucks and it simply doesn't completely stop the opposing Pokémon like Spore does.

Years
*Metagross
~ Stealth Rock
~ Meteor Mash
~ Bullet Punch
~ Explosion

*Empoleon
~ Hydro Pump / Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Electric

*Flygon
~ Dragon Claw
~ Outrage
~ U-turn
~ Fire Punch

*Tangrowth
~ Sleep Powder
~ Stun Spore
~ Power Whip
~leaf storm

*Gyarydos
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake

*Frosslass
~ Substitute
~ Thunder Wave
~ Ice Beam
~ Blizzard

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
First, it's helpful if you include things like the Nature, EVs, Ability, and the item you plan to equip on these Pokemon. These things are VERY important.

^ :x

These things are really important and essential if you want a proper rate for your team. If you include them you'll probably get better/more rates. :c Also I think you're still missing a Pokémon! :( Lastly you probably don't want to run Power Whip and Leaf Storm on Tangrowth - try Power Whip and Earthquake, and invest in only his physical offenses instead of trying to deal with both.

Back