• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash battling like a noob...

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
This is why I stopped watching the anime. I'm done with Ash, can't we get something like on of the main characters in the game to do the adventure for that region? I was okay with Ash doing Kanto and Johto (and Orange Islands) but after that he already proved himself to be a champion and he still insists on going to other places farther away from Pallet Town. Never a good idea to run a show with the same main character.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Have you ever thought that Maybe the Pokemon get stronger in the new regions derp You guys never seem to Notice the Obvious
I'm not sure where you're getting this from at all.

Never a good idea to run a show with the same main character.
Uh, The Simpsons has aired for quite a while with the same characters. And Family Guy. And Spongebob. And a lot of other TV shows.

Maybe because he is still only 10 derp
Age has little to do with battling prowess, in my opinion. It's more about experience, and clearly Ash has a lot. He did beat Drake in the Orange Islands and conquered Kanto's Battle Frontier when he was (is?) ten. Those are accomplishments older people have not been able to do, such as Reggie.

Years
I keep having arguments with my friends about how Pikachu should've won against Snivy without Electric moves. I mean, Pikachu's what, level 80 or something? And Snivy's a new Pokemon, damnit.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Maybe his Pikachu only had few HP, so a weak attack could still beat him.

Aside from that one battle, Satoshi's doing fine. He's still the "good" old Satoshi we "loved". He still likes challenging himself by fighting Fire with Grass and Grass with Water. It's just his way of doing things.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
Yeah, he always battle like a noob, because he's the protagonist, every time when he's losing, the Pokemon he's using will always evolve just because of some cheering speech from him, and the Pokemon will regain full health and beat the opponent with one or two moves. Then just like he didn't use that Pokemon to battle, or just sent out from the Poke Ball.

P.S. I think Infernape is the last fully evolved "starter" Pokemon we will see from Ash, the starters don't know how to evolve in BW series, but others' starters will always in their final form.

Years
While I admit it was handled badly, isn't everyone forgetting that whole Zekrom issue from the first couple of episodes?

Zekrom majorly messed Pikachu up, and despite Juniper later saying that Pikachu was essentially fine, I do believe the Zekrom attack had some lasting damage and essentially shorted out Pikachu's abilities.

For a good while Pikachu couldn't control his electric moves. Given that it's an electric type, that means that without Ash realising it, Pikachu's been damaged on a fundamental level beyond the usual battle stats and HP.

While Pikachu has been healing over the course of the series, I don't think that he's as strong as he had been in the past.

Ash has been using other Pokemon for battles, to train them up, and he's purposely NOT picked Pikachu for battles, leaving Pikachu on the sidelines. Given that Ash has a deep connection with his Pikachu, it's of my opinion that Ash kinda knows that something isn't exactly right, and that he's trying to let Pikachu get some rest. Other Pokemon go into their Pokeballs for "a good long rest", but since Pikachu's always out braving the elements, maybe it's taking him a longer time to headl?

In any case it's usually been Pikachu lately that has volunteered himself for battle while Ash has been undecided on which party member to use.

QuickBaller

100% CATCHING RATE
Years
Yeah, I'm glad they made team rocket a little for respectable. And about the Trip battle, Pikachu should be (after 4 other regions) level 100. Trip's Snivy lv.5 beat a lv.50+ pikachu...somethings don't make sense.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
want the conclusion? Ash is a total fully noob with no skills even after he traveled all the regions and went to orange islands and defeated alot of GYM leaders and made his pikachu level 100 or something after all this time and he never evolved him and he always had the excuse " I love pokemon " and he is always 10 years old even after 15 years in real life and probably like 30 year in the anime timeline .. because ash overcame 3 months in 2 episodes o-o of the firist Season .. so yea... and team rocket is always stupid and in BW he is kinda nice but yea .. so the main conclusion is Ash is a noob and always going to be a noob and pikachu is a totally weak pokemon at season of the anime

kokotko

雷君
Years
I don't think that Ash got lamer in the later gens. I'm falling behind a lot(watching Advanced Battle) and still notice that Ash gets most of his badges based on some kind of magic handicap imposed on his opponents. When I watched him get his fifth badge I almost swore never to watch that serie again. The way he beat the leader's ultra experienced Swellow by his freshly evolved, after getting punched down like hell, he 1HKOd the foe with aerial ace...
Now say what do you think about it,

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I don't think that Ash got lamer in the later gens. I'm falling behind a lot(watching Advanced Battle) and still notice that Ash gets most of his badges based on some kind of magic handicap imposed on his opponents. When I watched him get his fifth badge I almost swore never to watch that serie again. The way he beat the leader's ultra experienced Swellow by his freshly evolved, after getting punched down like hell, he 1HKOd the foe with aerial ace...
Now say what do you think about it,

Yeah, I know. And it's even more insulting when you remember that one of the previous main characters (Misty) was forced off the show to become a Gym Leader, and via a very poorly-thought out reason to boot. Having Gym Leaders lose to pokemon in a manner that is far too similar to JJM's losses (eg, losing to pokemon that they not only are fully capable of beating, but literally anyone can beat, remember how JJM lost really pathetically to Ash's caterpie despite their pokemon being vastly stronger and more experienced than it, but also it being severly weakened from an earlier fight with a Pidgeotto, the same one that they beat?) really cheapens their purpose. It's almost as though they're deliberately trashing on her character by doing that. I won't forgive the writers for that.

kokotko

雷君
Years
Yup, many gym battles, aiming to present Ash's innovative and experimental ways of winning actually wind up making the leaders look like total n00bs. It's quite foolish as they should provide much harder challenges. Guess the writers sometimes run out of ideas...
As for Kasumi, according to me, she was a very good character. I actually cried in the episode Gotta catch ya later, knowing she would leave the trio. Anyway, I think Haruka and Masato are good, too :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Yup, many gym battles, aiming to present Ash's innovative and experimental ways of winning actually wind up making the leaders look like total n00bs. It's quite foolish as they should provide much harder challenges. Guess the writers sometimes run out of ideas...
As for Kasumi, according to me, she was a very good character. I actually cried in the episode Gotta catch ya later, knowing she would leave the trio. Anyway, I think Haruka and Masato are good, too :)

I never said I felt May or Max were good. Actually, just between you and me,
Spoiler:

Either way, it was bad. Even worse considering how they're treating Gym Leaders now, and not only that, but they actually kept Brock even though Pewter Gym was in far WORSE condition than Cerulean Gym ever was. At least Cerulean Gym had the problem with Misty's sisters being gone for three months. Going by what was shown by Lola's horrible management of Pewter Gym, it's a surprise that it even remained operable, especially in light of it failing two out of three parts of the basic exam (uncool and unsafe. You know what I'm talking about).

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Ash is a good trainer, but at the same time a bad trainer. He's good to his Pokemon and trains them well, but he's also, er, not wise about his decisions. He has a good battling strategy, but it's not as great as the others'. It's 50-50 for me, but I don't think he's a noob anymore.

Back