• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Poll: Sub or Dub?

Sub or Dub?

• Sub

Votes: 54 63.5%
  • Dub

Votes: 31 36.5%

• Total voters

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
This is why I said "often".
Yes, I know, but the thing is 4Kids rarely touches anything anymore (being that they went bankrupt), so "often" would imply that you've seen quite a few edited versions of anime, that they make up the majority of the dubbed anime you've seen, even though there are far more uncut and unedited anime out there than there are edited ones.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Oh, no, I don't have only seen edited dubbed animes ^^ Of course I've seen other animes than 4Kids one too. And I'm sorry to say that but for the moment none of the dubbed animes that I've watched sounded good to me. The japanese sounds so perfect in the animes that it's even difficult to compare english voices and japanese voices. Maybe it's not even because of the dubbers but... The japanese sounds so much more natural on manga characters to my mind.

Bashiyoto

King of Carrot Flowers
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
I tend to prefer subs. Nowadays English voice acting has greatly improved and rarely are dubs "bad" but, since I lack a fine tuned ear to the Japanese language, even the more mediocre voice work won't distract me from the story.
I feel that in the case of Cowboy Beebop though the English voice work surpasses the Japanese.
In the modern scene it really just comes down to preference.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Most of the dubs I watch (aside from the Saturday morning variety of series) have been pretty good, so I don't have any hate for dubs. However, since the majority of the series I watch are either "niche" titles or never got a release in the US, the dubs aren't even an option.

So, I'll watch dubs when I can since it doesn't require reading and they aren't that bad, but I mostly watch subs because they're the only option available for the shows I usually watch.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
I prefer subs, mainly because over the years it's what I've gotten used to. Sure it was hard at first, trying to keep up reading what was going on and trying to watch what was on screen. But now days it's second nature, and like I said it's what I prefer. Do I wish I understood Japanese? Sure I do, as a lazy person it'd be even better for me. XD

That's not to say I don't mind some dubs. Like a few weeks ago I finished up Samurai Champloo, I could have gotten it subbed but I wanted to watch it dubbed. I have the Baka Test boxset and I've watched an ep or two dubbed (I want to get around to rewatching the series but this time the dub). I also have the FMA:Brotherhood boxsets and when I get around to watching them I'll be watching it dubbed. I'm going to give the Steins;Gate dub a shot, as well as the Evangelion movies. And I haven't watched Inuyasha The Final Act because I wanted to watch it dubbed.

I just like subs better because I don't have to wait forever for it to be dubbed (I hate spoilers). I tend to like the voices better. And like I said, it's second nature for me to read subs.

Megaman3007

MTF FTW :)
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
I like whatever I see first. For me if I see it in dub I prefer the dub and if I see it first in sub then sub. For example I despise the Naruto and Pokemon subbed but despise the Beyblade dub.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I'm in favour of the subbing and that for several reasons, both easthetical and practical reasons. I'm of the mindset that often the original is better than any edited version available. And from the dubbed clips I've seen,I kind of prefered the Japanese dub. That doesn't take away that sometimes I could kill character's voices, but overal I'm quite content with the anime I watched in Japanese dub.
Similar to something mentioned before, I tend to watch the-not-so-uber-popular anime... which don't have a dubbed version. Some of them end up being dubbed years later...

A more practical reason is that English isn't my first language. Although my understanding of English is quite good, I still tend to understand more of written than spoken English.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Dubbed. Don't watch a lot of anime, and don't feel like reading through it. I'll do it if there isn't a dubbed version available, but I'd rather actually watch what's going on and solely focus on that than focus on that as well as reading.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I prefer dubs, but I don't tend to watch them because I rarely watch anime old enough to have them. Usually dubs don't come around until a year or two after the Japanese release and I tend to check out anime because of hype surrounding it as it airs.

But I prefer dubs because I don't have to read subtitles at all for them and I don't have to pay much attention to them. I like to watch anime while I'm doing something else (grinding in an RPG, browsing the web, etc.) so having it in my native language is easiest. My Japanese is pretty good and I can usually understand something fairly well without subtitles but I have to pay close attention to everything someone says and I do sometimes have to check the subs to see exactly what's going on. I tend to prefer anime with complicated plots so having it in the background in the original language doesn't work out for me very well.

Eventually I'll get to the point where it won't matter what language it's in because I'll understand it just fine either way but until then I'll pick it up in English whenever I can.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2012
I prefer neither. I know Japanese so subs are distracting and dubs just makes me cringe.

Years
I started with dubs, but it was pretty hard finding German dubs or subs, so I switched to English subs, since my English wasn't good enough at that time to understand everything acustically.
I still watch subs most of the time, because it has become a habit and I usually prefer the Japanese seiyuu. However I did watch a few series dubbed and they were okay.

Khawill

<3
Years
I don't feel the emotion as much when an anime is subbed. This due half to the fact that I'm reading the bottom and not always getting details. I like dubs more because I can sit back and watch. Now if I knew Japanese, by all means Subs are better, but a lot of animes I've watched have ok dubs.

Years
I perfer dubs to subs. I watched a Naruto sub before, I prefer to be able to watch what's going on instead of having to read subs.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Sometimes I can't even hear what the dubs are saying, so I prefer subs so I can read exactly what the characters are talking about.

Years
Always sub, whenever I find an anime to DL and watch and it's Dub, it's immediately deleted and being replaced by a sub one

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I get seriously annoyed by people who worship subs when there have been times when dubs are actually better.

To me, the dubbed version of Spirited Away is much better than subbed. It sounds more natural than the Japanese version.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2014
I really don't mind which I prefer. I tend to watch everything I own Dubbed, and then I watch it Subbed the next time I watch it again. But there are instances that I will only watch an anime Dubbed only( i.e. Dragonball Z/Kai, YuYu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc...). But I won't shut out anything at all. I love Dubbed and Subbed. :)

Back