• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[RMT] Rain Dancing is fun!

Years
Hello there, I'm trying to make my 1st team to start playing in Competetive scene. I liked the idea of weather and thought about regaining hp in some condition, Then I found Ludicolo with RainDish and idea came to my mind:

Shieldas (Bronzong) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Slash (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

-Thinking about putting a Rapid Spin somewhere here...

Ludicolo (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Toxic

Nudziarz (Slowbro) (F) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SAtk / 248 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Rain Dance

Butternight (Volcarona) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast

Dancer (Chimecho) (F) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Rain Dance
- Psychic

Any siggestions, what's good/bad? I'm beginning so I have no idea what I'm doing right now :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey there! :>

I can't do a full rate cause I'm busy, but before any pokemon rating can happen, I need to mention something real quick.

Almost all of your pokemon sit in different tiers (Bronzong is UU, Kabutops is RU, Ludicolo NU, Slowbro UU, Volcarona OU, Chimecho NU). Right now, because of Volcarona, you'll be playing in the standard tier, OU. Unfortunately, since none of your other pokemon are viable in OU, they kinda don't stand a chance in battle. Ideally, your team would all be in the same tier. If you'd like a list of all the tiers and their corresponding pokemon, check this out.

Since you're new to competitive battling, I'd usually suggest just sacking Volcarona and going for a lower tier rain team, but it's really up to you and however you want to play. Also, let us know if you'd like any competitive battling guides. There are some great resources in the CBC!

Last edited:
Years
So you would suggest dumping Volcarona.... Hmm I still need a special attacker.... What do you think about Omastar?

~ Shell Smash
~ Hydro Pump / Surf
~ Ice Beam
~*******

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For Bronzong, you might want to make it Relaxed to pump up Gyro Ball's power (it gets stronger the slower the user is than the opponent) and improving Bronzong's physical bulk.

Kingdra is an excellent Special or Physical Rain Dancer; it should go over Chimecho, since it's not that good above NU:
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Surf/Dragon Pulse
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim

While Ludicolo is usually seen with offensive sets in rain, a defensive set can be used viably. Change the nature to Calm or Bold and make the EV spread 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Bold) or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef (Calm).

Not all your Pokemon have to have Rain Dance. Slowbro can function just fine even without Rain Dance in its set:
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Slack Off
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/244 Def/16 SAtk
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator

Having Omastar on the team would add to the team's weaknesses. Xatu is a better Rain Dance setter because of its Magic Bounce ability:
-Rain Dance
-U-turn
-Roost
-Night Shade/Psychic
Nature: Careful/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce

Years
Yeah, sorry for not anwsering in the topic for a moment, currently I'm like trying to solve myself in the mysteries of tiers :)

I made a RU team for a moment, but it doesn't work since most of the pokes I want to use are UU. So maybe I'll try to use your advice and make it a UU team by adding that kingdra and Xatu :D

Back