• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Hex codes in Advance Text

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Hi all! I'm not sure how to get a thread approved by mods so here goes.

I was messing around with hex codes in Advance Text yesterday and discovered some peculiar things that I was hoping some people here could help me with. Specifically, I was trying to change text colors when I noticed the colors didn't match up to what everyone else was saying.

So I did some investigating, and that led me to this.

Hex "FC" (appears as "\c") is supposed to be the color modifier, right? Well, it does more. Look here:

Code:
 [SIZE=2]FC calls for formatting (\c)
FC01xx        text colors
FC02xx        text highlight colors
FC03xx         shadow colors
FC04xxxxxx        –-
FC05xx        –-
FC06xx        font modifier
FC07            –-
FC08            –-
FC09            hides the rest of this line until you press A
FC0A            --
FC0Bxxxx        --
FC0Cxx        replace xx with next character in text
FC0Dxx        --
FC0E        ?    skips over text box too fast for me to tell
FC0F            skips over previous line
FC10xxxx        --
FC11xx        --            
FC12xx        --    
FC13xx        --
FC14xx        --    
FC15            switches to Japanese font (from Latin)
FC16            switches to Latin font (from Japanese)
FC17            –-
FC18            –-[/SIZE]
The "--" means I couldn't find any visible effect. The xx at the end of the hex code is how many bytes the function calls on.

FC 00 and 19 onwards, no effect. So FC19 would give you index 19 on the character map (ç in English font, Hiragana "no" in Japanese font). The ones I couldn't figure out I left as "--" but they could have some effect. If anybody wants to study this, please let me know what you find.

Here are the modifiers from the previous list:
Code:
Color modifier:
[FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]x0            no color
x1            no color
x2            black
x3 gray?
x4            red
x5            orange
x6            green
x7            light green
x8    [blue]    blue
x9            light blue
xA            no color
xB            steel blue
xC            steel blue
xD            steel blue
xE            light blue
xF            blue[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]Font modifier:
00    small Latin characters (this font can be used to fit more text in small space)
01    –-
02    same as [small] in Advance-Text, not sure what it does in English version
03 onwards apparently no effect[/SIZE][/FONT]
I don't know if anyone else has dicovered that you can not only change text colors, but also highlight and shadow colors.

We all know that 3rd generation games are compatible with international trades, right? Well, in order for that compatibility to happen, both the Latin and Japanese fonts need to exist in the game code. Apparently HEX FC15 and FC16 switches between both of them. I'm sure there's a way this can be useful for more than just translation.

I'm going to experiment some more the next few days, especially with the Japanese font now that I know how to access it.

This might be really useful for ROM translators (I want to try translating Pokémon Altair, Sirius, Vega, Deneb and Procyon). I think people working on Pokémon Debug Ruby might also want to take a look at this.

Here's the character table for the fonts:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]Character Map for fonts[/SIZE][/FONT]
 [FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]Hex    EN font    JP font
00    (space)    (space)
01    À        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]あ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]a  (hiragana)
02    Á        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]い [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]i
03    Â        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]う [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]u
04    Ç        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]え [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]e
05    È        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]お [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]o
06    É        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]か [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ka
07    Ê        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]き [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ki
08    Ë        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]く [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ku
09    Ì        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]け [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ke
0A    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]こ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ko
0B    Î        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]さ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]sa
0C    Ï        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]し [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]si
0D    Ò        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]す [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]su
0E    Ó        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]せ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]se
0F    Ô        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]そ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]so

10    Æ        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]た [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ta
11    Ù        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ち [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ti
12    Ú        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]つ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]tu
13    Û        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]て [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]te
14    Ñ        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]と [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]to
15    ß        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]な [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]na
16    à        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]に [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ni
17    á        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぬ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]nu
18    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ね [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ne    
19    ç        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]の [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]no
1A    è        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]は [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ha
1B    é        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ひ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]hi
1C    ê        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ふ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]hu (?)
1D    ë        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]へ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]he
1E    ì        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ほ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ho
1F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ま [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ma

20    î        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]み [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]mi
21    ï        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]む [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]mu
22    ò        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]め [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]me
23    ó        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]も [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]mo
24    ô        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]や [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ya
25    æ        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゆ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yu
26    ù        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]よ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yo
27    ú        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ら [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ra
28    û        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]り [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ri
29    ñ        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]る [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ru
2A    °(degree)    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]れ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]re
2B    ª        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ろ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ro
2C    · (dot)    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]わ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]wa
2D    &        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]を [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]wo
2E    +        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ん [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]n
2F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぁ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]a small

30    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぃ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]i small
31    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぅ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]u small
32    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぇ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]e small
33    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぉ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]o small
34    [LV]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゃ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ya small
35    =        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゅ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yu small
36    ;        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ょ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yo small
37    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]が [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ga
38    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぎ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]gi
39    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぐ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]gu
3A    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]げ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ge
3B    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ご [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]go
3C    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ざ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]za
3D    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]じ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]zi
3E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ず [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]zu
3F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぜ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ze

40    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぞ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]zo
41    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]だ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]da
42    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぢ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]di
43    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]づ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]du
44    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]で [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]de
45    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ど [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]do
46    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ば [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ba
47    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]び [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]bi
48    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぶ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]bu
49    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]べ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]be
4A    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぼ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]bo
4B    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぱ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pa
4C    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぴ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pi
4D    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぷ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pu
4E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぺ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pe
4F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ぽ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]po

50    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]っ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]tu small?
51    ¿        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ア [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]a (katakana)
52    ¡        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]イ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]I
53    [PK]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ウ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]u
54    [MN]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]エ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]e
55    [PO]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]オ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]o
56    [Ke]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]カ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ka
57    [BL]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]キ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ki
58    [OC]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ク [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ku
59    [K]        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ケ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ke
5A    Í        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]コ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ko
5B    %        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]サ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]sa
5C    (        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]シ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]si
5D    )        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ス [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]su
5E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]セ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]se
5F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ソ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]so

60    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]タ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ta
61    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]チ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ti
62    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ツ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]tu
63    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]テ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]te
64    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ト [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]to
65    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ナ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]na
66    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ニ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ni
67    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヌ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]nu
68    â        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ネ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ne
69    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ノ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]no
6A    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ハ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ha
6B    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヒ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]hi
6C    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]フ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]hu
6D    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヘ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]he
6E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ホ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ho
6F    î        [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]マ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ma

70    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ミ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]mi
71    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ム [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]mu
72    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]メ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]me
73    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]モ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]mo
74    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヤ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ya
75    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ユ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yu
76    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヨ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yo
77    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ラ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ra
78    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]リ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ri
79    U arrow    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ル [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ru    
7A    D arrow    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]レ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]re
7B    L arrow    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ロ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ro
7C    R arrow    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ワ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]wa
7D    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヲ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]wo
7E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ン [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]n
7F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ァ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]a small

80    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ィ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]i small
81    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゥ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]u small
82    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ェ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]e small
83    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ォ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]o small
84    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ャ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ya small
85    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ュ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yu small
86    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ョ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]yo small
87    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ガ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ga
88    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ギ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]gi
89    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]グ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]gu
8A    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゲ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ge
8B    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゴ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]go
8C    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ザ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]za
8D    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ジ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]zi
8E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ズ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]zu
8F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゼ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ze

90    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ゾ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]zo
91    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ダ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]da
92    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヂ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]di
93    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ヅ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]du
94    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]デ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]de
95    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ド [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]do
96    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]バ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ba
97    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ビ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]bi
98    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ブ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]bu
99    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ベ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]be
9A    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ボ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]bo
9B    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]パ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pa
9C    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ピ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pi
9D    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]プ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pu
9E    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ペ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]pe
9F    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ポ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]po

A0    nothing?    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]ッ [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace][SIZE=2]tu small
A1    0        0
A2    1        1
A3    2        2
A4    3        3
A5    4        4
A6    5        5
A7    6        6
A8    7        7
A9    8        8
AA    9        9
AB    !        !
AC    ?        ?
AD    .        .
AE    -        -
AF    · dot        · dot

B0    [...]        [···] raised
B1    "        "open
B2    "        "open    
B3    '        'open
B4    '        'close
B5    [m]        [m]
B6    [f]        [f]
B7    $        $
B8    ,        .
B9    [x]        [x]
BA    /        /
BB    A        A
BC    B        B
BD    C        C
BE    D        D
BF    E        E

C0    F        F
C1    G        G
C2    H        H
C3    I        I
C4    J        J
C5    K        K
C6    L        L
C7    M        M
C8    N        N
C9    O        O
CA    P        P
CB    Q        Q
CC    R        R
CD    S        S
CE    T        T
CF    U        U

D0    V        V
D1    W        W
D2    X        X
D3    Y        Y
D4    Z        Z
D5    a        a
D6    b        b
D7    c        c
D8    d        d
D9    e        e
DA    f        f
DB    g        g
DC    h        h
DD    i        I
DE    j        j
DF    k        k

E0    l        l
E1    m        m
E2    n        n
E3    o        o
E4    p        p
E5    q        q
E6    r        r
E7    s        s
E8    t        t
E9    u        u
EA    v        v
EB    w        w
EC    x        x
ED    y        y
EE    z        z
EF    [>]        [>]

F0    :        :
F1    Ä        Ä
F2    Ö        Ö
F3    Ü        Ü
F4    ä        ä
F5    ö        ö
F6    ü        ü
F7    [u] nothing?
F8    [d] nothing?
F9    [l] big space?    
FA    line break    
FB    page break    
FC    \c
FD    \v    
FE    line break?    
FF    end of text[/SIZE][/FONT]
If it says "nothing?" it's not actually nothing. Looking at how the hex codes are used elsewhere, they call on certain commands or texts (like ____ gained ____ EXP. Points). I'll post any new information as I get it.

I'm wondering if in the ROM, for something like a move name, you could just replace the name of the move "Scratch" with \c (format hex FC,japanese font hex 15, text "ひっかく hikaku" with the hex values from the Japanese character map) and if that would appear correctly.

Just an FYI, you CAN load English save states of Fire Red into Japanese and vice versa. Everything appears correctly, which shows that both versions use the same RAM data structure. There's some kind of flag built into the ROM that sets the region and the Pokémon's nickname. Maybe the Name Rater's script has some clue?

An up to date version of my findings can be found on Google Docs.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bhsNwf52y4eg_2T5u02tcV7AaezckEpo28XqoCL78-4/edit?usp=sharing

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Yes it works but you need to change the ROM header to load a different save state. Not sure yet about battery files. I couldn't find a separate Latin font in the Japanese ROM but I'm sure it exists somewhere. I need to spend some time hacking the Name Rater scripts in both languages. So far the US and Europe releases appear interchangeable but with different offsets for some things.

The 5 character limit in Japanese games is built in. There should be a way to repoint all of them (at the offset is just a list of all 386 names) without messing the data. Then you can have 13 spaces per Pokémon (3 characters to call on small font plus 10 for name). Not sure yet how that will work because the Pokémon names display only 6 characters and nicknames only 5.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Nice find! I haven't actually seen a real, thorough text code documentary yet besides HackMew's short one in his XSE help guide, but this one gives a bit more detail on how it works.

Back