• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Euthanasia

Years
Euthanasia is defined as the practice of ending a life prematurely in order to end pain and suffering. The process is also sometimes called Mercy Killing. Euthanasia can fall into several categories. Voluntary Euthanasia is carried out with the permission of the person whose life is taken. Involuntary euthanasia is carried out without permission, such as in the case of a criminal execution. The moral and social questions surrounding these practices are the most active fields of research in Bioethics today. Many Supreme Court cases, such as Gonzales v. Oregon and Baxter vs. Montana, also surround this issue.

Voluntary euthanasia is typically performed when a person is suffering from a terminal illness and is in great pain. When the patient performs this procedure with the help of a doctor, the term assisted suicide is often used. This practice is legal in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg. It is also legal in the state of Oregon, Washington and Montana. Passive euthanasia is carried out by terminating a medication that is keeping a patient alive or not performing a life-saving procedure. Active euthanasia involves the administration of a lethal drug or otherwise actively ending the life. These two types of procedures carry different moral and social issues.

Your thoughts?

Be civil or I'll eat your soul

Years
I think most people are already okay with the idea of passive euthanasia (like turning off life support). I am, and I'm okay with voluntary euthanasia when a person is suffering through terminal illness without hope of recovery. I think people should be able to choose to die with dignity when death isn't that far away anyway.

Not really okay with involuntary euthanasia (aka death penalty), or people with mental issues wanting to die because there is a lot of grey area there and lots of mental issues can be managed to the point where a person can have a healthy life.

Years
I think most people are already okay with the idea of passive euthanasia (like turning off life support). I am, and I'm okay with voluntary euthanasia when a person is suffering through terminal illness without hope of recovery. I think people should be able to choose to die with dignity when death isn't that far away anyway.

Not really okay with involuntary euthanasia (aka death penalty), or people with mental issues wanting to die because there is a lot of grey area there and lots of mental issues can be managed to the point where a person can have a healthy life.

I think ore or less the same. No to the Death Penalty on those grounds, unless there are extraordinary circumstances. I do think that people dying of horrible terminal illnesses have the right to choose to either fight out the pain or save themselves from more torment.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
For me voluntary euthanasia is such an obvious thing to legalise - it's baffling that it is legal solely in Benelux countries and a few shockingly progressive U.S states. There's a case in Ireland at the mo which is really quite atrocious, and has made me quite passionate about the issue.

I can see why "euthanasia for all!" isn't going to be rolled out anytime soon - if someone hits a rough patch of their life and decides "well OK I'm bored", then they shouldn't be given access. Nor should someone with a mental illness. There are definitely cases where refusing euthanasia is just downright cruel, though.

Years
Voluntary - I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I don't think we should prolong the suffering of someone terminally ill who just wants it over but on the other saying that conflicts very strongly with my views on suicide. I'd say that maybe in extenuating circumstances it could be considered morally sound.

Involuntary - If a person is brain dead, they basically don't exist any more, they are an empty shell and as bad as this sounds there is no reason to keep them alive. I'm doubtful we will ever have the ability to revive a mind that far gone so we really shouldn't waste the room and would be better of using those resources to save a life not preserve a half-life. But on subjects such as the death penalty I disagree unless the circumstances are incredible (a criminal too dangerous to be left alive) otherwise if we kill someone who has committed such a terrible crime we are one
1. Sinking to their level by taking another human life
2. Letting the most brutal, horrible people alive take the easy way out. They should be punished not given a free ticket out of it. I mean yes there is (supposedly) a hell after but what if their isn't? I wouldn't want to take that chance.

This is such a hard topic to take a set stance on really, I'm expecting this too become very interesting.

Years
Involuntary - If a person is brain dead, they basically don't exist any more, they are an empty shell and as bad as this sounds there is no reason to keep them alive.
Not to get too far off topic, but there are reasons to keep a brain dead person alive. I can't remember the term (I think it's "breathing cadaver" but I'm not sure) but essentially a body is kept going so that the organs can be transplanted to other people.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Voluntary - I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I don't think we should prolong the suffering of someone terminally ill who just wants it over but on the other saying that conflicts very strongly with my views on suicide. I'd say that maybe in extenuating circumstances it could be considered morally sound.

May I ask exactly what those views are? I mean obviously nobody is pro-suicide - it's a tragedy and is entirely avoidable for the most part. But if someone knows they're going to die and knows they're going to be in pain, I don't know how that's at all comparable to someone who's just a bit depressed. I should say that I don't advocate euthanasia to be used except in special cases (like people with terminal illnesses, yes), but then euthanasia (and assisted suicide in general) is only really necessary for people who aren't capable of taking their own life anyway. Is it really worth discussing euthanasia when it comes to healthy but depressed people? As morbid as it may be to say, there are any number of alternatives for them if they're denied a lethal injection.

Years
I don't want to get into to big a discussion on my views butt I tend to view suicide as a very selfish and cowardly act. Life is a precious thing and for what ever reason people are prepared to throw there's away instead of trying to make something of themselves or right what ever is wrong with their life? Not to mention the effect it has on people close to them. It bothers me that people can be so wrapped up in their problems that they don't stop to think about the good things in their lives or the people they will hurt.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I have no objections to it. The right to life is a basic human freedom, and I feel that also includes the right to choose when to end one's own life. Some might argue that some of those people could be convinced to change their minds; while this may be true, I do not feel it (or any other argument) is a valid reason to allow the state, or anyone else, to police whether people choose to exercise their basic human right to life. There are those who would never change their mind no matter what might be said and their right to end their own life should not be infringed upon by any party, state or otherwise.

Years
I think it should be allowed to terminally ill people. In the states where it is allowed, the person has to be going to die anyway from cancer or some terminal disease, I believe Why should they have to suffer the pain? They are going to die anyway, I think they should be able to choose to go peacefully and painlessly.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Passive euthanasia is something I deem fair. I mean, more often than not, it's presumed that there's no hope and death is better than suffering for a few more days. As for active euthanasia, that's a harder spot. I'm not sure where I stand on the death penalty, but I feel like it's not right. Not sure if that counts as euthanasia, though.

Odd, though, cause this reminds be of the episode of Walking Dead where Dale got euthanized. In a situation like that, I'd totally be for it. The alternative is just too cruel, in my opinion. That's fiction, though.

Back