• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LGBT in Pokemon?

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
While I acknowledge the LGBT community should be considered equals, no. Think about it. Pokémon is primarily a kid's game. They don't even know their sexuality at their age, do we really need to introduce it to them prematurely? They'll feel pressured into deciding their sexuality, and possibly become slightly depressed.
And oh God, the amount of lawsuits would be ridiculous.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
While I acknowledge the LGBT community should be considered equals, no. Think about it. Pokémon is primarily a kid's game. They don't even know their sexuality at their age, do we really need to introduce it to them prematurely? They'll feel pressured into deciding their sexuality, and possibly become slightly depressed.

I can totally see where you are coming from Discordant. However, kids are exposed to all sorts of things these days. Pokemon handles heterosexuality with characters like Brock, who is a total skirt chaser, so why is it innapropriate for there to be any sort of gay character? They don't have to go into direct detail. It would just be a matter-of-fact type of thing, and not any major plot point. By that logic, children should never be around a gay person because it will make them question if they are gay. If parents properly explain it in an appropriate manor for kids, I can't see the harm in it.

Years
As much as I'd like to point out everything wrong Discordant just said, I think it'll wildly go off topic.

I'll just mention that you can't sue videogames for having gay characters. Otherwise EA would be out of buisness from mass effect and dragon age

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Nintendo has already shown tolerance for the idea of cross-dressing with the newest Harvest Moon game which offers the option for male characters to buy and wear dresses, and all that. So it's not completely out of the ball park for them and HM is a far less public series than Pokemon, so it's really hard to say. Unfortunately we're still in an era where things as insignificant as gender identification is an issue.

SylphyStarr

SylpyStar
Years
Nintendo has already shown tolerance for the idea of cross-dressing with the newest Harvest Moon game which offers the option for male characters to buy and wear dresses, and all that. So it's not completely out of the ball park for them and HM is a far less public series than Pokemon, so it's really hard to say. Unfortunately we're still in an era where things as insignificant as gender identification is an issue.

Nintendo really doesn't control Harvest Moon production. It's all Natsume.

Nottingham

We are on the cruise!
Years
Hmm
I don't see wynaut so long as they don't make a big thing of it. I think Somniac has a point though that it shouldn't be done just so they can show gay support. If you make someone gay, have some reasoning behind it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Why would a gay character make kids question their sexuality any more than a straight character?

Also, many children know their sexuality at a young age. I had a "boyfriend" in second grade - I didn't know anything about love or lust or anything like that, but I had determined at that point that I was straight.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Why would a gay character make kids question their sexuality any more than a straight character?

Also, many children know their sexuality at a young age. I had a "boyfriend" in second grade - I didn't know anything about love or lust or anything like that, but I had determined at that point that I was straight.

I knew I was gay in first grade! And I was raised and surrounded by heterosexuals, so his point is a bit invalid.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
It'd be nice to see a few gay NPC couples who you can have double battles with and a canonically trans gym leader, but they'd be censored once the games were localized. If they feel that a swimmer's Speedo is too revealing, then there's no way they're letting a trans gym leader through.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
Years
I don't remember the anime making any coherent statements on real-world issues, though I'm admittedly out of touch with it now. I'd welcome it over the usual shtick.

Back