• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Where exactly should i paste that comment? Oak's script is huge and i can't find the part where he gives me the pokedex..

Anyway thanks for the answer :)

You don't actually have to put it in the script as it can be activated at any time. In fact, it wouldn't be wise to paste it into Oak's script as you'll have to repoint the whole thing otherwise you'll be overwriting something (this is because you would be making the script longer by inserting an extra command). I would advise you to make one or two green script tiles that the player has to walk over that uses the special command before they are able to capture non-Kanto Pokemon. This way you won't have to alter Oak's script and you'll still be able to evolve your Pokemon.

Years
You don't actually have to put it in the script as it can be activated at any time. In fact, it wouldn't be wise to paste it into Oak's script as you'll have to repoint the whole thing otherwise you'll be overwriting something (this is because you would be making the script longer by inserting an extra command). I would advise you to make one or two green script tiles that the player has to walk over that uses the special command before they are able to capture non-Kanto Pokemon. This way you won't have to alter Oak's script and you'll still be able to evolve your Pokemon.
Where can i find a national dex script? one that works in pksv, or xse.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Where can i find a national dex script? one that works in pksv, or xse.

There is no 'National Dex script', all you have to do is use the special command. If you follow my instructions in the above post you could literally just make a green tile script like this to activate the dex:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
special 0x16F
release
end

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
Years
Greetings PC!

It's been a long while since I've used this forum. I'll cut the backstory and such and skip right to the main piece of why I'm here.

I've assembled a small team of wannabe ROM hackers, including myself. We're currently writing our story, but we're looking for recommendations of which ROM to use of the Advance Generation to make our game. I've been taking some notes on each of the ROMs and it seems everybody has an opinion. So I want to ask, in your opinion which is the best ROM to work with if you're new to the scene? I'm currently messing with Fire Red, and I was sad to see that unlike in Emerald, I couldn't easily expand a town or route map. However, Emerald seems to have a lack of tools and tutorials available.

Greetings PC!

It's been a long while since I've used this forum. I'll cut the backstory and such and skip right to the main piece of why I'm here.

I've assembled a small team of wannabe ROM hackers, including myself. We're currently writing our story, but we're looking for recommendations of which ROM to use of the Advance Generation to make our game. I've been taking some notes on each of the ROMs and it seems everybody has an opinion. So I want to ask, in your opinion which is the best ROM to work with if you're new to the scene? I'm currently messing with Fire Red, and I was sad to see that unlike in Emerald, I couldn't easily expand a town or route map. However, Emerald seems to have a lack of tools and tutorials available.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Greetings PC!

There is a plethora of articles that tell every small detail about the ROM. If you want to get some offsets, get some tools and read their .INIs. And if you still want to do more, well, assembly really isn't that hard to learn.

To be quite honest, the only road to success here in the world of ROM hacking is tinkering (right after actually getting the ROM). You can't really wing it with the research. Even with FireRed, you will need to tinker around before you get what you want.

Crocky

SuperScarlet!
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2020
Hello everyone,
I have an error in my game.
I was making a game out of emerald, and out of nowhere a route in my game got glitched so whenever you enter it, the game goes to a black screen and crashes it. This happened to me multiple times on different games, and basically makes the game unplayable. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Hello everyone,
I have an error in my game.
I was making a game out of emerald, and out of nowhere a route in my game got glitched so whenever you enter it, the game goes to a black screen and crashes it. This happened to me multiple times on different games, and basically makes the game unplayable. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?

could be a number of reasons.

but in my opinion the most logical explanation is that ur route map size is too big. or the map connections are incorrect

I've a simple question:
How do I add new sprites to advancetrainer? is that possible without to much trouble?
Greetings.

I found this to be the simplest tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-gLtPTQnrA

same method for trainer sprite

credits to none other but destinedjagold

Last edited:
Years
Yes, I think you're missing some files. Below you can find a complete list of the Cyclone's needed files:
  • COMDLG32.OCX
  • MSCOMCTL.OCX
  • MSVBVM60.DLL
  • FM20.DLL
  • olepro32.dll
Anyway I guess that the error is caused by the FM20.DLL which should be absent or not correctly registered in your computer.
Before trying anything else, download this file and run it. It's a self-extracting archive which will install the FM20.DLL in your computer. After installed try to open Cyclone again. If you're still getting errors, try to reboot and see if something changes. If not, maybe you need to unregister and then register again all the Cyclone's needed files.

To unregister a file:
1. Go to "Start", then select "Run..."
2. In the windows that will appear type "regsvr32 /u <filename>" (without quotes). Obviously, the <filename> part needs to be replaced with the Cyclone's files like COMDLG32.OCX and so on.

To register a file:
1. Go to "Start", then select "Run..."
2. In the windows that will appear type "regsvr32 <filename>" (without quotes).

Since I have enough time to spend, I made a little batch file that do all the work for you. Once downloaded the attachment, rename it to "batch.bat" and run it.

Enjoy ;)
I tried this and I used the batch file but it still doesn't work any tips?

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
I'm in the process of moving my hack from Fire Red to Emerald for several reasons. One of which was the ability to have snowy grass by changing the soot-covered grass on Route 113. I ran into a little issue, though. I put the grass tiles behind the tops of the trees in this area:

The normal grass and the left side of the tree work fine. The right side, however, changes to the left side of the tree after the snow is shaken off. I have a video that shows what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWN--FmjE4

All of the tile behaviors are what they need to be. The snowy grass is set at 24 00 and the normal grass at 02 00, so that wouldn't have anything to do with it. I've tried moving the snowy grass tree tiles around the tileset, but they always get replaced with the left side of the tree when you walk through them. I'd imagine that it has something to do with the routine that has to do with the tile getting replaced when you walk through it. I've looked at all the level scripts, but I'm not too experienced with scripting yet. The second level script controls the weather changes, but I have no idea what the first one does.

Spoiler:

Maybe that calls up the grass change routine? I don't have a clue.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
Years
Simple Question:

In the advance generation games (At the very least Emerald), there are 25 unofficial Pokémon slots built into the game. Is there any way possible to take advantage of those slots? I inserted a sprite of my own, and even tried to repoint it, but whenever I try to encounter aforementioned Pokémon, I still get the Question Mark appearing.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
I tried this and I used the batch file but it still doesn't work any tips?
Are you logged in on the Administrator's account? That might help.

Simple Question:

In the advance generation games (At the very least Emerald), there are 25 unofficial Pokémon slots built into the game. Is there any way possible to take advantage of those slots? I inserted a sprite of my own, and even tried to repoint it, but whenever I try to encounter aforementioned Pokémon, I still get the Question Mark appearing.
You could use Wichu's Advanced Series. It contains a sprite editor where you can edit the 25 vacant spots. Then you can change the other parts of the pokemon with something such as YAPE or PGE's Pokemon Editor.

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Hey guys!
Is there any way to change the banned pokemon in battle tower? For example I want to make Latios banned in ruby version. Maybe you can do it by scripting... Can anyone help me?

There is a script from the battle tower lady (maybe it'll help...):
Spoiler:

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
Years
Hey guys!
Is there any way to change the banned pokemon in battle tower? For example I want to make Latios banned in ruby version. Maybe you can do it by scripting... Can anyone help me?

There is a script from the battle tower lady (maybe it'll help...):
Spoiler:

Here, follow my post here, but instead of using the offset that's there (emerald), use this one: 0x405EC4

~Sonic1

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I'm in the process of moving my hack from Fire Red to Emerald for several reasons. One of which was the ability to have snowy grass by changing the soot-covered grass on Route 113. I ran into a little issue, though. I put the grass tiles behind the tops of the trees in this area:

The normal grass and the left side of the tree work fine. The right side, however, changes to the left side of the tree after the snow is shaken off. I have a video that shows what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWN--FmjE4

All of the tile behaviors are what they need to be. The snowy grass is set at 24 00 and the normal grass at 02 00, so that wouldn't have anything to do with it. I've tried moving the snowy grass tree tiles around the tileset, but they always get replaced with the left side of the tree when you walk through them. I'd imagine that it has something to do with the routine that has to do with the tile getting replaced when you walk through it. I've looked at all the level scripts, but I'm not too experienced with scripting yet. The second level script controls the weather changes, but I have no idea what the first one does.

Spoiler:

Maybe that calls up the grass change routine? I don't have a clue.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the ash grass works different from regular grass. From what I can tell, stepping on the ashy grass is a sort of setmaptile-type-thing, which sets the tile to grass, which is probably why the grass under the tree doesn't work. Also, after looking at an Emerald rom, I noticed that there is no grass under any trees, which might be because of this. Finally, from what I can tell, the cmda6 command is used to call an ASM routine that activates when stepped on a tile. I don't know how to use it, but I'm pretty sure its the routine for gathering soot in a soot sack. But then again, this is all speculation. If the above IS true, then you'll either have to not have any grass under a tree top, or modify some part of the games code to make it work.

Also, if it helps, you can activate the ash grass animation in Firered, if you have alot of work saved on it. But if you're switching to Emerald for other reasons, I understand. The tutorial to activate the ash grass is here.

TheOrangePichu

Currently working on new hack
Years
Hi, I was wondering in A-map, how do you add warps to stairs that go up or down? That's all I want to know, because everytime I step on a warp, it doesn't warp.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Hi, I was wondering in A-map, how do you add warps to stairs that go up or down? That's all I want to know, because everytime I step on a warp, it doesn't warp.

You have to look at the original maps and tiles to see how the warps should be placed/ work. The tile to either the left or right of the stairs where the warp is stationed needs to have a specific tile behaviour: 6C if going up and to the right, 6D if going up and left, 6E if down and to the right, 6F if going down and to the left. If you use tiles that don't have any of these behaviours then you won't be able to warp. The default tilesets uses small carpet-like things to indicate which tiles you should be using so check them out.

M16A1994

Team Rocket Executive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Hmmm... I think this is a simple question. Here goes. I'm about to start working on my first hack thats going to be based of of Fire Red. I've got the tools: (XSE, Advance Maps..etc.) but exactly how do I start? LIke, wat do I do? Please don't bite my head off.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Hmmm... I think this is a simple question. Here goes. I'm about to start working on my first hack thats going to be based of of Fire Red. I've got the tools: (XSE, Advance Maps..etc.) but exactly how do I start? LIke, wat do I do? Please don't bite my head off.

When you start making a hack, I believe that you should have a basic outline of what your hack's region looks like and what sort of features are going to be in it. This will help you start designing your hack as well as prepare you for the future. Having a basic understanding of and practising things like scripting and mapping are good things to have when you first start to hacking. Here is an old thread where people have given their thoughts to what people should do when starting so hopefully it is helpful to you :)

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I want to change the sprite of the playable character, but know nothing about making custom characters or how to change the set sprite.

Even a point in the right dirrection would be nice, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back