• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Fire Red Hacked Engine

Super Ultra Mega Charizard

not a beginner trainer :P
Years
The guide is not complete at all (sorry, I think that some parts of the guide is only for very advanced rom hackers, I don't understand all the guide then).

I don't want to offense the creator of this engine, but I think that he's ignoring us (he got tired of us, how depressing -.-). Of course, there's no help for my problem, I'm only a mortal person, BUT my problem is talking about a glitch, so imagine, how can a tutorial tell me about repairing a hack tool?

chriskid198: Behaviour is the overworld state. For example, facing up, facing down, walking up, walking down, walking right and left, hidden, etc. You have a behaviour list in Advance Map as well.

Bye.

Maybe he's ignoring you because duh? He hasn't finished the tool yet so you have to wait. It wasn't obvious? 0_o

プラチナ・ベルリッツ

~してんのうの カトレア!!
Years
Palettes

Hey there! I am absolutely loving your hacked engine! It made me do the stuff that I need to do so badly with minimum effort. Thank you so much!

One thing though, I can add new OW palettes nicely but the problem is I can only load the new palettes in the slots 0x0 (player) and 0xA. Because when I try to load it into the other slots, they don't change at all they just remain the same. I've tried anything that I can do but no dice. I want it to load in any slot so, any help that I could get?

Thanks anyway! :D

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Hey,
I've a problem with the extra ow palettes.

Everything works fine until the 27 pal.
For some reason all palettes after 0x1a24D8 won't work...

Does this happen to anyone else and are there any solutions?

Every Idea is welcome,

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
Sorry for the late replies, everyone, my PC died and took quite a while to get a new one.
After applying the Overworld Hack (Table of tables, hero switching etc), the surfing stops working in my rom. Just the surfing mind, nothing else.
Certain sprites need specific palette values to work with certain animations. Surf is one of them. If it crashes while using the original sprite, it may be because you have a pokemon in the box, as Var 0x7000 up are located from box one onwards (GameFreaks didn't need to worry, as they knew from the start the memory layout).
Also, not only that but also the hero VS-seeker animations must be correct in order for surf and fly (and any other HM) to work. Check those both first.

Another minor bug to report. If you apply the trainer flag hack, the game crashes and resets if you are challenged by a trainer who is 4 or more steps away from you. That is, whenever the move camera to show sprite response is triggered, the game crashes. Dunno if anyone has noticed this as yet.
This doesn't happen on a unedited Fire Red rom I applied it with, so it must be because of the OW hack. Currently, however, I can't find anything wrong with it. Crashes may also follow because of the first question.

One thing though, I can add new OW palettes nicely but the problem is I can only load the new palettes in the slots 0x0 (player) and 0xA. Because when I try to load it into the other slots, they don't change at all they just remain the same. I've tried anything that I can do but no dice. I want it to load in any slot so, any help that I could get?
That is a problem I didn't encounter until mentioned, as I always tested with OW palette 0 and A (no reason why, though, just happened). As such, I didn't know about the "forced load" on start that only happens once per map. This should fix it.
Using a hex editor, replace the following values
starting at 0x0805E5E0, place 70 88 09 07 09 0f 00 29 01 d0 05 e0,
then at 0x0805e5f8 place 03 e0

Also, another "problem" arises from the mist weather. palette slot 0x1, 0x6 to 0x9 and 0xb are reserved for the mist weather effect. If you don't plan on using it on your hack, and need the extra palettes, you can use them after disabling the effect.
at 0x0805f680 place 22 e0 (for palette slots 0x6-0x9 + 0xb),
at 0x0805f60c place 20 e0 (for palette slot 0x1, the player mist slot).
If you wish to have the player enter misty areas, do not apply the last one.

Everything works fine until the 27 pal.
For some reason all palettes after 0x1a24D8 won't work...
I've made plenty of tests, and this problem only exists because of the previous one. After correcting, I tried 0x50 random generated palettes, and worked perfectly.

Also, I'm working right now in remaking this hack in light of recent developments (The variable problem). Also, It will take quite a while before it's released, as the new verison should be compatible with both Emerald and Fire Red. Besides a much less annoying interface, it will be wiritten in Java, meaning it should be useable in all OS that support it (Unix-based, OSx and Windows included). It will also feature a "revert to Original" feature that allows you to remove the hack "safely" from your ROM, and implement a new version (or the original ROM, if so desired).

Last edited:

プラチナ・ベルリッツ

~してんのうの カトレア!!
Years
That is a problem I didn't encounter until mentioned, as I always tested with OW palette 0 and A (no reason why, though, just happened). As such, I didn't know about the "forced load" on start that only happens once per map. This should fix it.
at 0x0805E5E0, place 70 88 09 07 09 0f 00 29 01 d0 05 e0,
then at 0x085e5ef8 place 03 e0

Umm... How are you going to put this? By using writebytetooffset or hex-editing? I tried to hex-edit it at 0x5E5E0 & 0x5E5EF8 (because 0x08 means ROM?) but I think nothing happened and it won't load the palette to 0xA anymore.

Maybe I did something wrong... :(

EDIT: Wow, amazing! Totally works now! Thank you very much! ^.^

Last edited:

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Umm... How are you going to put this? By using writebytetooffset or hex-editing? I tried to hex-edit it at 0x5E5E0 & 0x5E5EF8 (because 0x08 means ROM?) but I think nothing happened and it won't load the palette to 0xA anymore.

Maybe I did something wrong... :(

You need to insert it with a hex editor,

@Jpan, Thanks for your response but your fix worked only half.
The palettes after my 27t pal work but I still cant use other slot's than 0,1A,1B and now these slots only work after you refresh the screen (By opening the bag,Pokedex,Options....).

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 1, 2011
One quick question...

Does this make the rom too big to be written to a blank gba cartridge? I want to make a hack that can be written to 2 blank cartidges so me and my friend can play and trade.

プラチナ・ベルリッツ

~してんのうの カトレア!!
Years
One quick question...

Does this make the rom too big to be written to a blank gba cartridge? I want to make a hack that can be written to 2 blank cartidges so me and my friend can play and trade.

No, it shouldn't be big. The hack actually erases content (e.g. scripts and OW's on the maps). I don't know about expanded ROM's, though.

Off-topic: Make sure you don't sell 'em! ;)

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
just wanted to double check when i downloaded this none of the warps work..... cant even leave the house... do we have to redo all the warps again?

プラチナ・ベルリッツ

~してんのうの カトレア!!
Years
just wanted to double check when i downloaded this none of the warps work..... cant even leave the house... do we have to redo all the warps again?
No, you don't have too. The only place where the warps are messed up is Pallet Town and that's it. Just add new warps that lead to Pallet Town to make it work again.

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
Years
I have a question. I already researched and apparently SMCA doesn't work with this patch. How do I hex edit the starting location? And what free hex editor would be good for this? Thanks in advance ~

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
At which addresses can I find the data for losing a trainerbattle(specifically trainerbattle ?9) before and after applying this hack? (goal is to eliminate writing out after.trainerbattle losses.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Building on what's said above, you should make it so we can set a variable and different things will happen upon losing a battle.
EX. 0 = to last healing spot
1= continue after beaten

Also, another suggestion: can you make the "what happened on your last save" thing when you press continue disabled? It really interferes with some things, making the currently applied OW appear before it was applied, for example.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
I was wondering, what are the most commonly used sizes for the OW table, backsprite sets, and image locations(0x18b) with this hack? One would imagine you wouldn't need 60k worth of OW sprites.

Last edited:

>Dante<

Call me Steven
Years
I'm too confused about the trainer backsprite.
JPAN said:
"The third and final Trainer customization is the backsprite switch. This is a very special one, as it not only switches the trainer's back Sprite, as it does with all back Sprites, like the Old man, or the Poke Dude from Teachy TV. To do so, just set a value superior to 0x0 in variable 0x4062. This hack will search if the backsprite to be displayed is one of the original ones, so if your hack requires it, change the backsprite on that position, as well as the palette on that position. Very important: DO NOT REPOINT THE ORIGINALS. If the backsprite table at 0x234718 is changed even by a bit, this code will not work."

Well...I've tried to use setvar 0x4062 0x1 and I work well. The trainer backsprite were changed into the old man's backsprite. But what is the value to set to obtined the girl backsprite...or the TeachTV backsprite???
There are a lot of backsprite in fire red...such as the R/S trainers.

Could enyone help me??

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
Im not sure if its possible or anything, but i think it would be a good idea to add the ability to expand the pokedex to be able to fit around 500 pokemon instead of the 3rd gen 386. im not the most knowledgeable person on this subject but i think its a good idea.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
For anyone who was having the same problem as me with the tool version of the Overworld Hack (Where it glitches out on trying to use the surf sprite, and it glitches out when trying to move the camera to show the (!) above a trainer's head), navigate to 0x5F2E4. There is a "bad" pointer here. When the game accesses it, it crashes. What you must do to fix it is copy the pointer at 0x5F2D0 and replace the pointer at 0x5F2E4 with it.

Credit for this fix goes to Diegoisawesome. I only posted it because he's busy.

Last edited:
Back