• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Retro Appreciation Club

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
355581669_retro_icons_xlarge.png

Hey there folks, we've been talking a lot about the new releases of video games, as well as the popular video games that are still going, but, I'd like to step back with this thread and let us all appreciate the games that came out around the 1800s to the late 1900s. So, here on this thread, I'd like to give you all a series of discussion questions that relate to the retro games, and we'll see how much you like them, or your fondest memories of them!

For frequent posts, or for those who have shown they have truly appreciate the retro times, you can earn yourself a little emblem for showing you care!

oldschoolgamer.png

And before you ask, no, this thread isn't just limited to Nintendo - this thread is for all the games that came out from 1800 - the late 1990s. So, that being said, I'd like to say also, the bumping rule has been exempt from this thread, meaning you can bump it up anytime you wish! I'm also going to be lenient and say that double posting is allowed, as long as you're on point on the topic.

Anyways!
First question!

What are your favorite Retro Games? It can be anything!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I suppose SNES games count?

I'll take my time to say that Super Metroid is absolutely fantastic and should be played by anyone who consider themselves a gamer, especially if you want to take game design lessons. One of the few games that I consider literally a must play.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hm, okay, I'll share my thoughts;

Of course, good ol' predictable me, I did happen to enjoy the Fire Emblem game for the NES. Well, yes, it's not the best Fire Emblem game, it had it's own share of... quirks, like, in all the other Fire Emblem games, saving units from death is a good thing, but in this game, they actually reward you from the fewer units that you have to give you better characters. Arguably you can still save the characters and use them at late chapters, but, the characters you can get are good as well. The storyline is pretty much a staple for all Fire Emblem games too - kingdom falls, find a magical sword, and fight an evil shadow dragon, but the simplicity of this game appeals to me to use my imagination more!

Ah I used to love playing the NES Legend of Zelda too. I became obsessed with Hyrule, like I wanted to explore all over the region and memorize everything, in which the first time playing this game, I was dead-confused on where to go and what dungeon to go to, and what items to collect, but, the puzzles, the hints, and the general free-roam of this game makes it more appealing to play, in my opinion~ Plus I love the dungeon music; it's pretty unforgettable.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Although I could go way back and talk about the days spent playing my Atari 2600 or Commodore 64, my memories of those games are really blurry. I remember the very first Mario Brothers game and a game that's only known as "Ninja" in my mind, but those memories aren't clear.

What is clear is getting a Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt. Oh Duck Hunt. That dog became the first creature I ever truly hated and I wanted to shoot him instead of the ducks. (I found a way to do so online, and four-year-old me was very happy.) My Nintendo collection grew, until I got my favorite retro game: Megaman 2.

I don't know what it is about Megaman 2 that I like so much. The different bosses are well-designed, and I like the different weapons that each one gives as a reward. The music is amazing, particularly Flashman's, which is still stuck in my mind even to this day. It's just a game that brings me back to my childhood.

If the SNES counts, then Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, and Super Mario RPG are also favorites.

Years
I love retro gaming; I was even going to make a thread about it and saw this, and came here to post on a heartbeat.

My favorite retro game of all time is Super Mario Bros, though there are other great retro games out there. Other classic NES games I like include Contra, Castlevania I and III (I didn't like Simon's Quest that much), Life Force, and Bubble Bobble.

To be honest, I don't know as much about Atari 2600 games, but I do recognize the likes of Pitfall and Space Invaders.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Chrono Trigger, I loved that game the moment I played it. My friends older brother had one at his house and when I went over for a sleep over to keep us both occupied he sat us in front of a tv with a SNES attached to it and a cartridge of Chrono Trigger plugged in. OOH BOY I loved the music and the gameplay but if I go as far back as I remember I can faintly remember a game called Shin Megami Tensei a part of the Megami Tensei franchise i.e. Persona. I watched my friends brother (same person) playing it.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Alrighty, how about this question:

What sorts of Retro Gaming Systems have you owned? (ie NES, SNES, Atari, etc, etc). Of course, you're more than welcome to answer the first question if you haven't. :]

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I only have my PS1 I do have DOSbox if that counts. I have no games for my PS1 though I think now you can burn games onto CD roms or something but I can't be bothered to tamper with that it takes to long to do it for one game. I still play a lot of DOS games. I also own a GameBoy Color I have the tcg pokemon game on it and boy is it hard.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
Wolfenstein 3D. Brings back a lot of memories. (gore content, image in spoilers below)
Spoiler:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I looooove my Gameboy. Although its certainly not the most easiest of gaming machines to handle, its games are atrocious in the size of the sprites to environment ration, there is a certain charm about it. So many good first party games for it, Mario Tennis, those Mario Picross games, Links Awakening <3, man. Not to mention that first time you popped in Pokemon Blue, saw that intro then chose your first starter....
franco-so-good.gif

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Do you remember any Retro Accessories? Did you get any accessories with your Retro Consoles/Games?

I remember the Zapper:

Od4kA3V.jpg

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't haha. I used it for games like Duck Hunt only, though. :3

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Oh I remember the power glove. And the zapper I think thatwas the only Nintendo accessory that worked I have the Wii zapper whitch works really well for games like metroid prime. I also remember a helmet that you shouted shoot into. It was as useful as running in front of a train. Also I rememer that toy called Rob that would pick up blocks and there was only two games for him but he somehow lnded a slot in ssb

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I love the power glove. It's so bad.

Actually, I never used the power glove. Or seen the Wizard.

I remember the Zapper! That was such a fun accessory, though I only had Duck Hunt to use it with. The only other accessories I ever got were the various "turbo" controllers that had extra buttons or switches to make pressing buttons either.

From various videos online, I know about the rest of the retro accessories, especially the Nintendo ones. R.O.B. and his inability to actually work. Or there was the power pad (?), where the controller was a giant pad on the floor that the player stepped on. It was like the precursor to Dance Dance Revolution.

The retro consoles that I own are: Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Nintendo, and Playstation 1. The latter is late 1990s, so I figure it counts?

Years
I use Game Genie to play with bizarre effects on games I've finished already, e.g. Super Mario Bros, if Game Genie counts as an accessory.

I haven't used the NES Zapper before, but I don't recall a lot of useful accessories for NES as many of them you can only play couple games with it well (i.e. R.O.B. the robot could only play two games), and were often notorious for being unresponsive. (I'm talking about you, Power Glove)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Favorite Retro Games have to be Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros for the NES, Duck Hunt, PAPERBOY, and ahhh many others. The ones I mentioned are my all-time favorites and those games are the ones that I cannot get enough of playing.

I owned the SNES before owning the NES, actually...so it's the other way around. My dad was the one that bought the NES because he wanted to share how video games worked in the 80's, where we have to blow the cartridges to make them work. I hated it at first, but I grew to get used to blowing that Duck Hunt cartridge so I could play it. I also owned the Sega Genesis alongside as well. First game was Sonic the Hedgehog, in which years and years dating to today, I am playing the exact game right now.

I remember the zapper as well. One of my most favorite video gaming tools to use when playing Duck Hunt. :3

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
The.. Power Glove reminds me of this:

890094-nes_power_pad.jpg

The NES Power Pad. Sort of like those DDR or Twister Mats. @_@ I saw one once, and.. it barely worked. XD The NES back then sure knew how to play with POWER.

Years
The NES Power Pad. Sort of like those DDR or Twister Mats. @_@ I saw one once, and.. it barely worked. XD The NES back then sure knew how to play with POWER.

Don't forget the Nintendo Power.

I'll try to make a new topic for this thread: What are some of the retro games you grew up with? It could be a game you love or a game you hate.

Outlier

Donkey Kong Country for the gameboy. Not sure if games from the 90's count as retro but that was one of my favorite games from that decade.

Back